The Boulevard (née The Times/Littlest Bar) | 110 Broad St | Downtown

What is the material for the orange paneling? is it just alucobond done well or something nicer like terra cotta?

43998045201_2fa989e10d_h.jpg

43998046051_276a60d69b_h.jpg

43998046711_2c6260d781_h.jpg

43998047631_8ab06520a9_h.jpg

43998048381_6744662b1c_h.jpg

43998049691_438001aca6_h.jpg

43998050671_aae51b4649_h.jpg

In person this and hayward place are 2 of the nicest mid rises I can think of. This thing knocks you back when you see it with that facade on the greenway.

The bronze more than makes up for it IMO. I think this building is incredible in person and absolutely looks amazing alongside the greenway. Im a huge fan of this.

It looks like some planters are going up at the base so that should help blend the lower couple floors nicely. I really really think this came out great though. It reminds me of Hayward place where its a short tower but its prominence/high quality of materials more than makes up for it.

Do these shutters look as absurd in person as they do in the photo?

42250824440_c3a2cb3607_b.jpg

my eyes brought me straight to the shutters and wtf.....

then i read your post. :)

that looks like crap.

my eyes brought me straight to the shutters and wtf..... then i read your post. :) that looks like crap.

Yeah... because early 19th century brick structures in Boston didn't have shutters ...

penniman.jpg

"Conflagration of the Boston Exchange Coffee House" (1824), by John Ritto Penniman.

Yeah... because early 19th century brick structures in Boston didn't have shutters ...

penniman.jpg

"Conflagration of the Boston Exchange Coffee House" (1824), by John Ritto Penniman.

No doubt many of them did.

The question I'm interested in, though, is whether these look as absurd in person as they do in the photo?

There is either some historical precedent for that style of shutter (though I am not familiar with it) or they are trying to tie in to the new building by using modern, "minimalist" style shutters, in which case, ugh.

Do these shutters look as absurd in person as they do in the photo?

42250824440_c3a2cb3607_b.jpg

Hmmm besides the color, they look like the non grated ones here.

Then the render shows this, so I guess theyre meeting in the middle?

There is either some historical precedent for that style of shutter (though I am not familiar with it) or they are trying to tie in to the new building by using modern, "minimalist" style shutters, in which case, ugh.

They were there in 2008...how old these were in 2008, I don't know. I'm pretty sure I've seen pics from 30's or 40's and they weren't there. I'd love to see the iron star masonry braces make a return, even if for decorative purposes.

P1020388-M.jpg

I think the problem is that they are too bright and the wrong color. They should have been grey. They also lack the detail of the original shutters.

https://flic.kr/p/294XQBs

Yes, there is.

There are shutters on the second floor of Bulfinch's India Wharf (but not on the upper floors), north elevation. Second floor was probably offices. Concern would be that the glass panes might easily fail in a strong storm. These are early 19th Century glass windows, probably glazed with lead.

See:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/cdd9e9d88184a86a2c54cabca98cf85f/tumblr_orqs84FZEt1skmb0bo1_1280.jpg

Shutters on a circa 1800 warehouse at the Salem MA National Historic Site. I doubt the National Park Service would have them if such were not authentic.

See:
https://stoplookshoot.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/salem-maritime-front.jpg?w=970

I agree about the color and brightness being the real issue here.

Yup. Clearly they are mimicking the old shutters. A quick google search would have given me that info. Sorry.

Back