The Brookliner | 5 Washington Street | Brighton

It's a recipe for disaster until those sprinklers are installed. I remember this fire in Waltham from a few years back:

I lived just a half-mile away at the time, and that morning was quite intense in downtown Waltham. It's worth remembering that it was an utterly futile & senseless gesture--if the arsonists were disgruntled subcontractors on the project, "complaining" about working conditions, they accomplished absolutely nothing in terms of sabotaging the project, which immediately got rebuilt (and presumably the developer was made 100% whole via insurance).

The gesture was also criminal, beyond the strict legal definition of "arson," in that it was done in a very high density neighborhood, on a fairly windy, dry day, and if any of those sparks/embers had caught on the surrounding wood-built neighborhood--yikes.

001.JPG
Took a couple of pics of the building this evening. Looks like they are up to the the 3rd apt floor so far!! :)
002.JPG

Last edited:
Funny though. There's no sign of a core!! The schematic floor plan, I think, calls for about 4 elevators. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! There seems to be a lot more activity now, like you said! 🙂

There are pictures posted around the perimeter of the site, giving passersby a glimpse of how the building will look & of how some of the rooms in the apts will look. :unsure: :)

From 6/17. Mods (@BeeLine ?), I think this thread can be renamed to "The Brookliner" (ew).

View attachment 25566View attachment 25567

One of them named it that. According to the sign posted, it says that the building will be completed by this coming winter. But we'll see. I was also told that the rents there for moderate income is $1,500!! Now how sad is that for moderate income rent?!! I'm paying $604 a month. That ($1,500) is not moderate income rent! :mad:

Last edited:
Not that I'd ever want to move in there. I just think that's kind of ridiculous money for moderate income rent! This building is really in Brighton, but I think they've addressed it as being in Brookline, so that they can have the sad excuse to charge for high rent & say that it's moderate rent. I'm willing to bet that if you were to apply for an apartment there, & you ARE low income, they'll use the sad excuse that you're not making enough money & you'll be denied one!! :eek:

Last edited:
I find the name rather offensive. Way to slap Brighton hard in the face.

Especially when the building is wood on top of concrete!! I'm in an all-concrete building. I took the shopping bus to Stop & Shop near the Mass. Pike the other day, & found out that there are several more apt buildings being built that way all along Washington Street! A similarly-built one in Waltham u/c had burnt down! 😱

Last edited:

Back