The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

IMG_4189.jpeg

What do you guys think of the cornice? It's pretty pronounced! Can't wait to see the brick facade kinda punch through the roof line.....waiting to see that to decide on putting the name up there or not! ~ C

Cornice looks good to me! What's the building name going to be? In general I'm not a fan of names/signs at the top of buildings, the architecture should be the beacon.

How's the pocket park design coming? 😃

Catherine, is the silver panel material going to be used for the exterior of the mechanical penthouse? If so, it will be a perfect compliment to the rest of the building. The cornice looks great and the brick extension above the roofline is one of the most interesting features of the overall design. (y)

Last edited:
Plenty of room under that cornice for some down lighting 😬 😬 😬
I'd go with Christmas green and red in the winter, so that the glow appears from above when looking out the windows from that community top floor space. Add some big fluffy snowflakes coming down while looking out from that upper harbor view and... (I used to live on East 33rd in NYC on the 20th floor of a building and the constantly changing lighting from the upper part of the Empire State Building was such a delight to see at night. I so miss that. Kind of stress relief, really.)

Last edited:
Cornice looks good to me! What's the building name going to be? In general I'm not a fan of names/signs at the top of buildings, the architecture should be the beacon.

How's the pocket park design coming? 😃
The pocket park is literally going to be the death of me. But I think we finally have all the pieces in place and we are going to get a very cool art installation along with the water feature wall and my desired lighting flexibility. This has been one of the most challenging feats so far with any of these projects!

Agree on signage - we actually pared down the sign size and color. There are reasons why I want it but definitely want it to be fairly understated.

Honestly was driving up Temple Street and thought the building really fits into the urban environment very, very well! Quite pleased! It's very much grounded in the traditional flavor of Portland - it might be a little more boring architecturally but it is very palatable. ~ C

The height and mass are just enough to give it a "new and interesting" vibe while the design is conservative enough that it fits like a glove into the city skyline and already feels like it's been there for years.

I would call the building "pleasantly understated" The design is contemporary but not "showoffish" and the relative simplicity of the facade helps make the building look impressive and a bit imposing (in a good way)

It fits very well with the architecture around it and I think overall the building will age well. Like Max said, it looks like it was meant to be there!

Back