The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Not crazy about the term "lounge" due to the space not actually being a bar. It reminds me of a dimly lit watering hole you'd find in a Ramada or Holiday Inn at a place like Topeka, Billings or Fargo. If you go with the "Old Port" theme I'd call it an "overlook", "mezzanine" or "gallery" which adds a touch of class my opinion.

Last edited:
I like your idea nomc but the difficulty would be that there were multiple buildings on the site simultaneously back in the day and none of them were really memorable or historically significant. Maybe something with "Federal" could also work but think Catherine and her team have already made a decision.

Wish I had this while looking for names:
Two tidbits about that map:
  • The house Longfellow was born in stood where the Residence Inn does today; as I understand it, his family was essentially housesitting for relatives when he was born and they moved up to the well-known house near Monument Square when he was 3 months old. The house eventually belonged to a nonprofit which gave tours of "Longfellow's Birthplace" until it was demolished in, I believe, the 1950's for expansion of the surrounding industrial area.
  • I love that Center St. was originally called "Love Lane" because, in the colonial era when the town was based around India St. and Mill Cove, that road was the heavily wooded place out on the far edge of town where one could go to... experience the joys of love, I guess. Just the idea of our Center St. being that kind of secluded place amuses the hell out of me.

I wouldn't take it personally. The Portland subreddit is always filled to the brim with Eeyores looking to out-complain one another.
We heard from a Councilor - renaming the building. Jonathan wrote a response on Reddit if anyone is interested. Still feel good about what we did and the intent - it's a shame that this is the response. ~ C

We heard from a Councilor - renaming the building. Jonathan wrote a response on Reddit if anyone is interested. Still feel good about what we did and the intent - it's a shame that this is the response. ~ C
To echo @lunardinosaur , the Portland subreddit is largely populated by hardcore supporters of the DSA, and those who think the DSA are a bunch of right-leaning corporate sellouts. I was amused by some posts in the thread calling out "virtue signaling" when the whole thread is literally nothing but. It's unfortunate that the Councilor chose to get involved, particularly after you had actually reached out to the tribes, but there you go.

I won't suggest any other possible names because my head is full of spiteful reactions right now.

Keep it simple Catherine, name it the PORTLANDER! The signage on the roof will be iconic and make it the most recognized building in the skyline. :)
I am sure that, if the bell buoy logo in this snip was a trademark, it is now considered abandoned. It was blue, btw... would make a nice addition to the signage!
1700247402264.png

First time I've browsed r/portlandme in some time, reminds me why I try to avoid it. Interesting discussion either way. Good on Redfern for the thoughtful response. Will get plenty of alternative names from the friendly folks at ArchBoston at least.

I kind of like the look and vibe of the old Portlander In-Town Motel. It feels substantive, unlike most places we get today. I could see hipsters or Gen Z types or even Gen Alphas hanging out here. Hey, Redfern, look at some of those older retro motels on East Grand Ave. in OOB. Renovate one with a few condos and hotel rooms and that's a cool stay and hang. I'll do your P.R. Pro bono.

Back