The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Man @Redfern must be at least a *tiny* bit peeved about the proposed ReCode downtown height map. If 201 had been built under the revised ReCode zoning...It would have allowed them to build a full 10 stories taller!! (Plus no need to go through the hassle of requesting a zoning change)

1704472510401.png

The Portland Square development group must elated and waiting for final approval before finalizing their plans. I wonder if this height map would allow building owners like One City Center and One and Two Monument Square to add additional floors to their current buildings?

The Portland Square development group must elated and waiting for final approval before finalizing their plans. I wonder if this height map would allow building owners like One City Center and One and Two Monument Square to add additional floors to their current buildings?
It seems like the "tradeoff" for significantly increased heights is that dimensional standards for towers have gotten more strict. For instance, any portion of a building above 125 ft. is limited to a total floorplate of 10,000 Sq. Ft. Plus additional stepback requirements (201 Federal just barely fits these proposed dimensional standards) So that would make additional height to some of the legacy downtown office buildings a non-starter.

Last edited:
Now you're just being greedy! What I surmise after reviewing Ben's height map and posts, there is only one parcel of land where a 325' tower can be built and that would be the undeveloped Portland Square property. Tim Soley must also be peeved knowing his Canal Plaza lot is limited to 125' if I'm viewing the color shades correctly.

Last edited:
That's awesome!
It should give you a choice between Thumbnail and Full-size when you paste it in; choosing one will show it in the post.
It used to give me that option but not anymore for some reason?? ~ C

It seems like the "tradeoff" for significantly increased heights is that dimensional standards for towers have gotten more strict. For instance, any portion of a building above 125 ft. is limited to a total floorplate of 10,000 Sq. Ft. Plus additional stepback requirements (201 Federal just barely fits these proposed dimensional standards) So that would make additional height to some of the legacy downtown office buildings a non-starter.
I saw this. Back to silly step backs and such. The only height limit I’m still peeved about is Hiawatha. It’s beyond frustrating that a 100 year old building is taller than a current one, on a transportation spine, when we desperately need housing. It should be a flat facade, 12 stories. ~ C

I wish there was a retail update. It’s kinda bumming me out. I’m hoping after the fencing is down we will get more interest. ~ C
I'd love to see a coffee shop not named Dunkin. Personally I love Starbucks....which seems to be a four letter word in Portland. When I was there for a hockey game.....no one could give me the name of a place to get coffee in the evening. #Sad

I'd love to see a coffee shop not named Dunkin. Personally I love Starbucks....which seems to be a four letter word in Portland. When I was there for a hockey game.....no one could give me the name of a place to get coffee in the evening. #Sad
Were you around here when the kids were throwing rocks through the windows of the Exchange St. Starbucks? I know there were a lot of local choices at the time beyond CBD - Bard Coffee cones to mind - but most of those are gone now.

Back