The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King) | 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Amazing how just a few years ago, this would have been the biggest / most prominent building on that stretch. Now it's infill.

The tower crane was taken down last weekend. We're getting close to the home stretch!

FYI : Gas station on corner set to close within 2 weeks

Every one of your posts is an ambiguous bombshell of seemingly random urban events.

Just what in the hell is going on here? Lay out the conspiracy!

And, i want my slutty, drug and rat-infested Fenway back.

What's random and ambiguous? It's closing. period.

That Fenway is loooooong gone, and I'm laughing all the way to the bank!

The rats are far from gone...

West: when you say it is "closing", do you mean the transaction is closing or the store itself is actually closing?

Closing as in no longer doing business, not "closing" as in an official sale...though I believe we'll all hear about that soon enough

Wonder what will go in after the gas station, probably residential. Any civil engineers here would probably know what the remediation would be like for a site that has been a gas station for so many years.

Given that the area is now packed with large residential developments and with the massive Pierce across the street, what are the odds of something taller than the Skanska / 1350 Boylston but shorter than the Pierce being built there?

Wonder what will go in after the gas station, probably residential. Any civil engineers here would probably know what the remediation would be like for a site that has been a gas station for so many years.

Given that the area is now packed with large residential developments and with the massive Pierce across the street, what are the odds of something taller than the Skanska / 1350 Boylston but shorter than the Pierce being built there?

There is comprehensive zoning for this area completed in 2004. I can't find a specific height/density of Bostonplans.org website. If I remember, the zoning wouldn't be as generous as Pierce.

I have been told that the gas station and Star Market's lower lot will be developed into one building - Star Market will then move into ground floor with residential above. Old Star Market will be razed and 2nd building will go there. There is a public alley between the two parcels so I'm not sure they will be connected.

I have been told that the gas station and Star Market's lower lot will be developed into one building - Star Market will then move into ground floor with residential above. Old Star Market will be razed and 2nd building will go there. There is a public alley between the two parcels so I'm not sure they will be connected.

What is the lower lot? The lot at the corner of Peterborough and Park Dr?

Yes, exactly

I am not an engineer but there are two distinct levels of remediation that go into redeveloping gas station properties. The lesser level was just done on the former Gulf station at the corner of Brookline Ave and Rt 9 (25 Washington Street) where Claremont Companies will be putting an 11-story Hilton Garden Inn. The higher of the two levels is required for any type of residential development where people are intended to actually be living as opposed to a transient hotel.

Interesting news about the gas station.

So, Star owns the lot on which it is located, and the parking lot perpendicular to it (you all might already know this). The gas station is owned by Elias Enterprise.

It looks as though a separate entity owned the liquor store located next to (within?) Star Market, on this site, as well at another couple locations. Star bought them out in the mid-1990s. (If memory serves ...)

Regarding the remediation, I don't know anything about that sort of thing but I remember reading about the lot near the Forecaster building next to the Government Center garage that used to be a gas station. When it was sold, the deed was explicit that no residential could be built on the site for a long period of time. (I think it was Exxon that owned it, or was it Sunoco?). The idea was, I guess, that the oil company didn't want anyone to end up suing them years down the line if anyone got sick.

You can remediate most anything, if you want to spend the money, see Harvard and Allston. That said, major corporations don't want to carry the cost of potential future clean-ups of a site on their balance sheet.
http://www.bakerbotts.com/services/practice-areas/environmental/contaminated-site-cleanup

When you don't want to spend the money,....
The city’s [Salem] interest in the new program was sparked by problems with the District Court site, where developer Diamond Sinacori wants to create 61 high-end condominiums.

“The [closed and sold state] district court [building] development team found more contamination in the building than had been expected,” Daniel said. “This allows for a way to overcome that challenge.”

Greg Winter, project manager for Diamond Sinacori, said it will cost the company about $851,000 to take care of asbestos in the building, as well as mercury found in lamps and thermostats, and separately “a lot of batteries.”

The company also discovered last year that the site was previously used as a “lubritorium,” a gas station-like use that dated to the 1930s and ‘40s.

“We did geoprobes and found that all 14 of the geoprobes found hydrocarbon contamination,” Winter said.

That changes the nature of the work a bit. “We’re not going to go underground,” he said.
http://www.salemnews.com/news/local...cle_6e7a4ff4-18c0-5e00-9105-237e1f104f33.html
(Emphasis mine)

You can remediate most anything,

Unfortunately this isnt true.

There are some forum posters that are too far gone to be remediated

Unfortunately this isnt true.

There are some forum posters that are too far gone to be remediated

Kind of a pointless jab, no?

On topic: If WestFens is correct, seems like a smart move by Star, especially with Wegmans on hold.

Back