The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: 1350 Boylston

That gas station that had the farmers market is supposed to start this fall. Office, apartments and retail. next to trilogy. I think the abbey group that wrecked the mcdonalds is going to be building between 1330 and the baseball tavern. this on the other side. Fall 2013, this one block could have 3 major building underconstruction!

$12.5M for "just over a half acre" seems like a lot for this area.

AMF -- Skansa has deep, deep pockets and I suspect they will propose something significant just as they did in Cambridge (not suggesting any relationship to the use or design of the structures)

Last edited:

Agree Whig. They will put up something substantial.
I don't know anything about the zoning in this area. But let's say they're allowed an FAR of 5 (seems optimistic for non-CBD Boston). That means they can put up a 110,000 SF building. Let's assume 85% efficiency - leaving us with with 93K sf of rentable space. That means the land cost of this development is around 135 per rentable sf.

Put another way, if they're selling 1,000SF condos, they're already in for $135K per unit before they put a shovel in the ground. Seems like alot for this part of town.

The blank wall of 1330 with fenway community health is like 13 stories? not exactly sure. I imagine this will rise a couple above whatever that building is. Maybe the can combine parking garages with 1330 to forgo building their own entrances that take up precise ground floor space.

Also, I imagine any condos in the upper floors will more than compensate for the 135k, but if anything it shows they are very bullish on the area and will build.

They built their lab space on spec, so they are not afraid to get out there and start building and they have the money to do that.

When the developer is a construction company that can probably self-finance, that saves a bunch of cash.

When the developer is a construction company that can probably self-finance, that saves a bunch of cash.

Yeah, saves a lot of cash, but if you self finance your ROE goes way down. Especially with debt costs so low right now.

Yeah, saves a lot of cash, but if you self finance your ROE goes way down. Especially with debt costs so low right now.

AMF -- I'm sure that Skansa as a global mega builder is good for loans at very low rates of interest

They can essentially get money for free which means leveraging their cash to go much further. Hence the current spate of building in Cambridge, SPID and now the Fenway all at once.

Perhaps as they become more familiar with the area as a developer and better known to the BRA, etc as a developeer and not just a builder that they will become interested in building in DTX, the FID or on the Greenway?

I lived in the Fenway for over a decade, but left the area in the early 2000s, so I haven't been around for the re-doing of Boylston Street. I only witnessed the beautiful rehab of the old Sears building that turned into the Landmark Center. Looking on Google street view, the work done thus far on Boylston Street is impressive but still flabbergasting, considering what I remember the street to be like.

Maybe someone could answer a question regarding the Trilogy site. I used to walk down the "Burger King" end of Boylston Street regularly, and a lot of the old landmarks are very familiar to me -- the Star (now Shaw's) Market, what used to be the Goodyear building, the Point building -- but I cannot remember what (if anything) stood on the 1365-1375 address of Boylston Street that is now occupied by Trilogy right before it was built. Anyone remember? Thanks in advance.

This Google Earth image from 2001 confirms my murky memory of a parking lot existing on the site before Trilogy.

2001_trilogy_site.jpg

I don't know what, if anything, preceded the parking lot. Google Earth's image from 1995 shows what appears to be some kind of construction happening on the site. Whether this is a building being demolished, just a surface repaving, or something else, I don't know.

1995_trilogy_site.jpg

^mmm... Everything looks good except the white part, which I REALLY HOPE wont follow the course of Waterside and 120 Kingston. What else has Skanska done in the area?

Replying to earlier, there were some buildings on the site:
img-server.php

Edit: They did battery wharf, which despite being lackluster in attracting vibrancy is a quality development. If this is held up to that standard I think it will be great.

If they don't cheap out on the materials, I'll like this...at least given that rendering. However cheap materials would make this horrible.

@Davem...hope to god they don't use anything resembling what is on Waterside.

Edit: It's sort of disappointing that they're not doing anything with that giant blank wall though. Would have liked to see the development abut that and make it disappear.

Last edited:

I am very happy to see the unit:parking space ratio in this area. This is at 2.5 to 1. The point isn't building any. It is good to see this trend getting on. It is a reflection of reality (Trilogy's garage is rarely more than half full) and will result in lower costs and less congestion.

So, do folks think Ross deserves any credit for fostering development in this corridor?

Back