The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King) | 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

^ I appreciate the rigorousness of Rudolph's work, and recognize that the austerity (or gravitas) present in much of his large-scale work seems oppressive by contemporary standards. What I react to in Rudolph is different than what so many react against. Not everyone likes Richard Serra, or Messiaen, or Wallace Stevens, or Mogwai.

For the curious, I'd suggest checking out his houses, and his astonishing Chapel at Tuskegee.

Hear Hear ... nice post.

cca

Man, Beton, you keep it real every time. Kudos x 10.

Thank you. I don't post as much as I have in years past (Life'll do that to you), so when I do post, I try to make it worth it.

Hear Hear ... nice post.

And thank you. I think the more discerning among us judge our town on a different scale than height. We'll call it "how things are" vs. merely "how things look."

A well designed building can be executed poorly, with cheap or inappropriate materials. A great concept for Austin or San Diego or Miami won't work in our climate. Conversely, a lackluster design (like this silly building) can be clad in stylish, appropriate materials.

Our biggest problem is that the people most likely to raise their voices at a community meeting fail to address these types of concerns. Over the years, I've heard hundreds of people complain about height, shadows, "Manhattanization," etc, but I've never heard an activist speak out against design gestures or materials.

those last two pics, wow

That is truly a great tower. The concept and execution are perfect for the location.

The windows on Skanska Burger give me vertigo. Is the wacky window trend over yet?

Nope, wait for MIT

Does a Skanska Burger come with bacon?

That is truly a great tower. The concept and execution are perfect for the location.

If you stand in just the right spot. It could be done better ... like 175 5th ave. (Flatiron Building). Looks great no matter where you are standing.

cca

It looks like a Chinese takeout container to my eye

It's cartoonish and funky and I love it.

Looking just fine to me... now we need a major mural project for that unused party wall next door!

Sort of has the Tree House tower feel to the facade.

Pretty sure the architect is ADD Inc./Stantec, which was the team behind the Tree House.

I am... less thrilled about the facade. If you look at it up close, you'll see that the panels are a faux wood veneer, and it rubs me the wrong way. I find it disingenuous.

I love the Formica™ look; like 888 Boylston it's nice to have a building that doesn't take itself too seriously. It doesn't have to be genius--shakes things up a little.

Back