The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King) | 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Interesting. Oath Pizza is a very similar model to Blaze Pizza, which has a location the next block over from here on the same side of Boylston St. That place is always busy (and it's good!) but this'll definitely be competition. Oh, and in the building between them (again on the same side of Boylston) is a Pizzeria Regina, but they're a bit different (bigger pies or slices, not individual personal pizzas).

Interestingly the article places it around September/October time frame, implying that this building will be complete by then.

Retail tenants can open up on the ground floor before the residential units upstairs are ready. I think we've seen this in a few buildings lately.

Interesting. Oath Pizza is a very similar model to Blaze Pizza, which has a location the next block over from here on the same side of Boylston St. That place is always busy (and it's good!) but this'll definitely be competition. Oh, and in the building between them (again on the same side of Boylston) is a Pizzeria Regina, but they're a bit different (bigger pies or slices, not individual personal pizzas).

That will be a lot of pizza over there. Didn't Oath have a store in the Cambridge Side Galleria food court? I know Blaze opened up a location right next to it on First St - they both coexisted for a bit, but the Oath in the food court closed down maybe a month or two again. Seems interesting that Oath would now setup a similar situation over on Bolyston.

Yeah, although I'm guessing there's more than enough demand for quick pizza with all of the baseball fans and college students roaming around.

That being said it would be nice to have a proper restaurant (with a liquor license) open up in one of these new buildings rather than a fast casual place. When was the last time we had a net new restaurant open up in Fenway - Sweet Cheeks? I'm not counting Tiger Mama since that replaced the Mexican restaurant that was there before.

That will be a lot of pizza over there. Didn't Oath have a store in the Cambridge Side Galleria food court? I know Blaze opened up a location right next to it on First St - they both coexisted for a bit, but the Oath in the food court closed down maybe a month or two again. Seems interesting that Oath would now setup a similar situation over on Bolyston.

PizzaRev (another similar fast-fired concept) was the one that opened in CambridgeSide right next to Blaze and then closed in less than a year. Blaze won the battle at that location, I wonder if Oath will be any more successful in Fenway.

The first time I went to Blaze I was skeptical, but it far exceeded my expectations. I've been a couple times since and I continue to be impressed. The people are nice, the pizzas are really good (and fast), and the price is right.

Yeah, although I'm guessing there's more than enough demand for quick pizza with all of the baseball fans and college students roaming around.

That being said it would be nice to have a proper restaurant (with a liquor license) open up in one of these new buildings rather than a fast casual place. When was the last time we had a net new restaurant open up in Fenway - Sweet Cheeks? I'm not counting Tiger Mama since that replaced the Mexican restaurant that was there before.

Hojoko? Citizen Public House? Basho?

I gotta imagine there have been a few since Sweet Cheeks?
- Citizen Public House & Oyster Bar
- The restaurant within the Verb Hotel (never been there, but been meaning to check it out)
- Yard House (opened in 2012...it's not new, but it's slightly newer than Sweet Cheeks)

Oath also just opened up a new store in Coolidge Corner, right across the street from Otto's. Is that their MO or something?

Hojoko? Citizen Public House? Basho?

Good call with Hojoko, I always forget about that place since it's pretty nondescript. Citizen and Basho have been there for a while (at least as long as Sweet Cheeks). But still - Hojoko opened around summer of 2015 if I remember correctly - so it's been two years since we've gotten a proper restaurant despite all of this construction. Maybe Pierce will have one since it's aiming to be a more upmarket building?

Good call with Hojoko, I always forget about that place since it's pretty nondescript. Citizen and Basho have been there for a while (at least as long as Sweet Cheeks). But still - Hojoko opened around summer of 2015 if I remember correctly - so it's been two years since we've gotten a proper restaurant despite all of this construction. Maybe Pierce will have one since it's aiming to be a more upmarket building?

There's also Tapestry, which technically replaced Church but it's still a new addition to the Fenway restaurant scene. And it has that weird two-restaurants-in-one thing going on.

Yeah, I fully expect Pierce to have an upmarket restaurant or two. I believe there's a two story retail podium there, so maybe faster walk-in type places on the ground floor and fancier sit-down upstairs (see: Pabu in Millennium Tower).

I believe I read recently that the Fenway is demographically the youngest neighborhood in Boston. That along with Sox fans probably accounts for the prevalence of fast casual.

^And many of the current crop of "fast casual" Fenway establishments are in buildings that replaced previous versions of lower-quality "fast food".

The Viridian--home to Blaze and soon-to-open "honeygrow"--replaced a McDonalds.
The new Skanska building (this thread)--soon home to Oath Pizza and Tatte--replaced a Burger King.
The Pierce--sure to be home to a future restaurant or two--replaced a D'Angelo.

I consider the current crop of "fast casual" to be a step in the right direction.

[Also, this is getting off track, but how was the roughly 2,000 ft stretch along Boylston between its two intersections with Park Drive home to FIVE gas stations just ten years ago?)

PizzaRev (another similar fast-fired concept) was the one that opened in CambridgeSide right next to Blaze and then closed in less than a year. Blaze won the battle at that location, I wonder if Oath will be any more successful in Fenway.

Opps, yup, you are right - too many of these little fast food personal sized pizza chains for me to keep track of. I would just kill for a good slice joint ;)

[Also, this is getting off track, but how was the roughly 2,000 ft stretch along Boylston between its two intersections with Park Drive home to FIVE gas stations just ten years ago?)

Easy: they could bank off of parking during Sox games to upwards of $100-$150+ a spot (before Menino cracked down on them and forced it to $50 a spot). Print money for home games, nice stable gas business the rest of the year.

^And many of the current crop of "fast casual" Fenway establishments are in buildings that replaced previous versions of lower-quality "fast food".

The Viridian--home to Blaze and soon-to-open "honeygrow"--replaced a McDonalds.
The new Skanska building (this thread)--soon home to Oath Pizza and Tatte--replaced a Burger King.
The Pierce--sure to be home to a future restaurant or two--replaced a D'Angelo.

I consider the current crop of "fast casual" to be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, what we're getting is a huge improvement over the previous gas stations and shitty fast food. All I'm saying is I'd like another place to have a couple drinks that's not on the bro and sports infested Landsdowne Street!

Yeah, don't get me wrong, what we're getting is a huge improvement over the previous gas stations and shitty fast food. All I'm saying is I'd like another place to have a couple drinks that's not on the bro and sports infested Landsdowne Street!

What about all the stuff Kilmarnock/Queensberry/Jersey St and in Kenmore? Really actually quite impressed how much the area can support at this point.

Hojoko is nondescript? I'd say its the very opposite. Where else can you drink a 1.8 liter bottle of sake by a pool? Or eat wasabi russian roulette sushi while playing Pacman?

Hojoko is nondescript? I'd say its the very opposite. Where else can you drink a 1.8 liter bottle of sake by a pool? Or eat wasabi russian roulette sushi while playing Pacman?

Very true, I meant it's nondescript on the outside. If I'm imagining that stretch of Boylston Street it's not the first storefront that comes to mind.

Oath is a world better than Blaze.

Blaze is a national chain with extremely cheap (not good) little pizzas. Oath is more local and higher-end ingredients.

byChloe just opened in the Van Ness building on the corner of Kilmarnock

http://eatbychloe.com/menus/

Didn't realize this was totally vegan, free of meat, dairy, or egg. Anyone ever try their veggie burgers? Or scrambled tofu for brunch? Healthy eats but how's it all taste?

Didn't realize this was totally vegan, free of meat, dairy, or egg. Anyone ever try their veggie burgers? Or scrambled tofu for brunch? Healthy eats but how's it all taste?

As a filthy meat eater, my friend made me try one of their locations in NYC. Surprisingly I found the burger to be a solid six or seven out of ten. I would never order one over a real burger if I had the choice, but it was definitely better than I was expecting. The fries were really good too.

Back