The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King) | 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

there's three cranes in this first picture (full size)
JSWWvgbh.jpg

uL0JKJkh.jpg

This thing definitely has a good side, and then it has a...weird side. I'm glad they didn't use that same material for the whole thing but that weird red and yellow are trying too hard.

I really like how this turned out. There were a couple points there at which I thought it could go either way--just "off" enough to look awkward and not off enough to look interesting. Conversely, it could have gone for pointlessly "zany," but I don't think it crossed that line.
I'm kinda liking the red and yellow.

This thing definitely has a good side, and then it has a...weird side. I'm glad they didn't use that same material for the whole thing but that weird red and yellow are trying too hard.

I don't know if it's trying too hard, but I definitely hate it.

It feels like something that should be on the MIT campus.

I'm liking it.

Tan part looks like a roughed-up cardboard box.

Tan part looks like a roughed-up cardboard box.

Yup, annoyingly "cute" move. The bend is not big enough to read as intentional. That is a cardinal sin of design.

cca

Yup, annoyingly "cute" move. The bend is not big enough to read as intentional. That is a cardinal sin of design.

I guess we all read things differently. It reads as intentional to me. I wasn't sure that it would work, but I think that it does and I like it.

Last edited:

Hmm.. I'm going to have to see it in person to give it a more credible opinion, but from these photos, it looks like something you'd see drawn in a comic book or a cartoon. Maybe something that would be considered cool if it was a college dorm??

The thing that bothers me the most with this building is the single floor under the bent part that is just glass. It just screams "nothing above this is structural! It is all just for show!" I know that it is the truth, but buildings sit on the ground and rise from there. we feel like they should be solidly connected to the ground and this break, to me, is what throws the building out of balance. It feels like this glass floor could be crushed at any moment by the large, heave section above it. I understand we are currently experimenting with how to bring detail and interest to facades by proving they do not matter structurally (see: staggered windows) but I think this attempt just looks clunky.

The thing that bothers me the most with this building is the single floor under the bent part that is just glass. It just screams "nothing above this is structural! It is all just for show!" I know that it is the truth, but buildings sit on the ground and rise from there. we feel like they should be solidly connected to the ground and this break, to me, is what throws the building out of balance. It feels like this glass floor could be crushed at any moment by the large, heave section above it. I understand we are currently experimenting with how to bring detail and interest to facades by proving they do not matter structurally (see: staggered windows) but I think this attempt just looks clunky.

I get some of the same feeling with the glass seam down the side.

The beige section with the funky angles feels like it was forcibly glued onto the red block section, and they pushed too hard while gluing, crumpling it.

Can we call this the ketchup and mustard building? Fitting since it used to be a BK.

Can we call this the ketchup and mustard building? Fitting since it used to be a BK.

Is that a slice of pickle or a skimpy burger patty in between?

Is that a slice of pickle or a skimpy burger patty in between?

Its that pesky avocado making all the millennials lose their money.

Back