The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenw

I'd like to see some archetecture like this in the seaport, to break up the corporate glass boxes a little bit.

You'll get your wish with the M Parcels.

Re: The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenw

is the Boylston road redesign ever happening? I went to a public meeting about it in 2009

I'd like to see some archetecture like this in the seaport, to break up the corporate glass boxes a little bit.

Agree that varied architecture is a good thing, but disagree that the Harlo is a good example. To me, it looks juvenile and will not age well.

Agree that varied architecture is a good thing, but disagree that the Harlo is a good example. To me, it looks juvenile and will not age well.

Indeed. Cartoon-itecture.

is the Boylston road redesign ever happening? I went to a public meeting about it in 2009

What exactly did this entail?

What exactly did this entail?

I went to the Boylston redesign meetings as well and it was a lot of talk about standardizing the streetscape materials and adding bike lanes. The process petered out around 2011 after focusing on redesigning Audubon Circle.

There are lots of old PDFs and ideas here on the City web site:
https://www.boston.gov/departments/transportation/fenway-longwood-kenmore-design-projects

I went to the Boylston redesign meetings as well and it was a lot of talk about standardizing the streetscape materials and adding bike lanes. The process petered out around 2011 after focusing on redesigning Audubon Circle.

There are lots of old PDFs and ideas here on the City web site:
https://www.boston.gov/departments/transportation/fenway-longwood-kenmore-design-projects

That Audobon Circle focus also went nowehere

That Audobon Circle focus also went nowehere

Actually, the Audobon Circle reconstruction project started some time ago and is ongoing.

Actually, the Audobon Circle reconstruction project started some time ago and is ongoing.

Oh really? Thats fantastic news.

SOMEONE PHOTO DOCUMENT PLEASE

Perhaps it's the puritan in me, but see the name and read it as The Harlot. What's a Harlo anyway?

Perhaps it's the puritan in me, but see the name and read it as The Harlot. What's a Harlo anyway?

Well ... I dont know if this is it but there was a developer/architect in the turn of the 19th century in Cambridge called Hamilton Harlow.

Maybe its a reference to that?

cca

I find "Harlo" odd too. I know some people with the last name Harlow. Without the W it just looks... unfinished? Not quite sure of the word I'm looking for.

Well ... I dont know if this is it but there was a developer/architect in the turn of the 19th century in Cambridge called Hamilton Harlow.

Maybe its a reference to that?

cca

Skanska claims Harlo is derived from the word "haven." No mention of any people it's named after.

They're starting to rent units for this building with a move-in date set at 10/1.

Studios start at ~$2200/month, 1 bedrooms start at $3200/month, 2 bedrooms at $4700, and 3 bedrooms at $5700.

http://www.theharlo.com/floor-plans-results/?type=1&pages=1

Whew.. ~$60K/year for a <900sqft 2br.. in this building. That's about the recurring annual payment on a ~$1M condo.

Whew.. ~$60K/year for a <900sqft 2br.. in this building. That's about the recurring annual payment on a ~$1M condo.

Units across the street from this are listed for as much as $2k/sf (plus $500 monthly HOA). Compared to that, this doesn't sound so bad...

I find "Harlo" odd too. I know some people with the last name Harlow. Without the W it just looks... unfinished? Not quite sure of the word I'm looking for.

a missed opportunity. ...the name 'Harlow' would have been sublime and sexy, with an unforced association to a tragic figure, and Legend. instead, it fucking sounds like 'harlot.' ...it's still not too late to make this an unmissed opportunity. i really like this building.

Or a million-dollar house in the burbs. This is the kind of shit that made me commuter rail person....

I still dont get the concept behind $2200/month for a studio.

If you can afford $2,200 a month, then you have better options than a studio.

I still dont get the concept behind $2200/month for a studio.

If you can afford $2,200 a month, then you have better options than a studio.

Different folks have different preferences / utility functions.

What if you want nice new finishes and an in-unit washer/dryer and a gym and a roof deck with a view and a terrace with grills and a doorman and a location walkable from Longwood and shops & restaurants right outside your door and etc... Then you really don't have better options than a studio.

You and I may not value all of those amenities and features enough to pay that price, but I understand why some people do. It's not as if there's some hack that allows one to get all of that stuff plus a bedroom for < $2k+.

Back