The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

You could build an even taller tower at 125 Nashua. That surface parking would be a perfect spot, and being an apartment tower Avalon North Station won't have many NIMBY's.

I don't hate it, but if I was the owner of the W Hotel, I might have a problem with it. That's all I can see now: A giant W!

As far as height goes, I checked the first page on this thread and from the very beginning, stated in the very first sentence of page 1, the heights of the two buildings were going to be 430 and 440! I get being upset over the design, but the height issue was settled (and hashed out on here) years ago. I don't get why they didn't go higher either but the fat lady sung that song a while back. Let it go.

Someone needs to take a pic of them pooping n send it in. Thats my comment on this.

it's not bad. or, at the very least, it's not THAT bad. overreaction overload up in this joint.

giphy.gif

Behind a paywall regrettably but says Oath (Verizon's new digital-media subsidiary which is an umbrella company for Yahoo and AOL digital brands) is negotiating for 300k sq. feet, enough for 2,000 employees...[/url]

Seems appropriate that once-great, now-pathetic Internet brands should occupy a site once home to a great and beloved building, and soon to be hijacked by a pathetic encroachment on the skyline.

No one goes to the meetings anymore. The board supports these squat buildings with inscrutable enthusiasm. For the good people; a condition known as 'TTF' (Turd Tower Fatigue) has set in..... symptoms include but are not limited to; foreboding, anxiety (pondering the next shoe to drop), regret. fear & loathing knowing Boston lost its way when Flynn gave in to the Brahmin's decades ago..... not only suffering in the aftermath but, knowing the situation is actually getting worse.

No attempt to work with Midwood to eliminate the bad parts of 1 Bromfield.

Their only enterprise was to sack it.

The fix was in.

As to the Hub office; it's a background building designed for revenue and nothing more. I wish they would just make the massing and cladding above the podium uniform and handsome.

The height reduction to the residential tower was the result of the development team caving to locals.

The BPDA wasn't happy. Payback came with their approval of the Garden Garage Tower.

.....As to the Hub office; it's a background building designed for revenue and nothing more. ....

I must disagree with that point 100%.

Given the location, the usage, the neighbors, etc. this is no "background building".

It is the Boston version of center stage and THAT is what makes this render all the more a travesty.

If it were a background building, it would be in a less prominent location and would defer to splashier neighbors. It would dress like Mr. Rogers, not Liberace.

No Odurandina, this isn't a background building, this is Sam Nunberg frantically running from cable network to cable network to ensure sure its nervous breakdown is being broadcast live to as many viewers as possible.

If its going to suck, it should tone down its suckage. This spectacle is working hard to slurp as loudly as possible.

.....other than that it is perfectly fine. :)

it's not bad. or, at the very least, it's not THAT bad. overreaction overload up in this joint.

I think the revisions to the tower are fine--maybe not my taste but they are interesting, with the exposed truss detail and the popped out corners. But the fat middle section--that hangs out over the podium--is just gross. It's fitting 10 pounds in a 5 pound sack. The question is whether the mayor has said it's all good, in which case it's what we are all going to be stuck with. Make the tower taller and it could be a really good addition to the city. The fat middle is just plain bad.

I must disagree with that point 100%.

[snip...]

No Odurandina, this isn't a background building, this is Sam Nunberg frantically running from cable network to cable network to ensure sure its nervous breakdown is being broadcast live to as many viewers as possible.

Excellent Nunberg reference, Shmessy!

To each their own but I never understood why anyone likes the collosal size "windows". It gives off the illusion that the building is shorter and squater than it really is.

I think I'll try to answer this.

I like these types of boxed-out super windows for exactly that, creating an illusion. However, I think the illusion is a bit different from what you said. I don't think it makes the building look shorter and squatter, but it makes us feel smaller -- like children. Bear with me.

The size of the building will be the size of the building, and walking by it and around it won't change that. We will subconsciously internalize the parallax and our minds will translate it to our notion of ~500'.

But, like wandering in a redwood forest, we will feel small again compared to the normal world. I think this is why I love oversized front doors, high ceilings, giant fireplaces -- I think it relates me to memories of the world as it appeared to a sub-four-foot kid. The W-bracing at the top gives me the sense of a massive veranda just above view.

I know this is a lot of poetry, but I'm trying to put a finger on why I like this new design so much better than 99% of people on this site. To each their own, as you said.

I like these types of boxed-out super windows for exactly that, creating an illusion. However, I think the illusion is a bit different from what you said. I don't think it makes the building look shorter and squatter, but it makes us feel smaller -- like children. Bear with me.

The size of the building will be the size of the building, and walking by it and around it won't change that. We will subconsciously internalize the parallax and our minds will translate it to our notion of ~500'.

But, like wandering in a redwood forest, we will feel small again compared to the normal world. I think this is why I love oversized front doors, high ceilings, giant fireplaces -- I think it relates me to memories of the world as it appeared to a sub-four-foot kid. The W-bracing at the top gives me the sense of a massive veranda just above view.

I know this is a lot of poetry, but I'm trying to put a finger on why I like this new design so much better than 99% of people on this site. To each their own, as you said.

As someone who doesn't share your viewpoint there, I very much appreciate your description of what you find attractive about this building. Try as I might I can't see it, but its good to know the reasons why someone may. Thanks for outlining that.
(now, back to my puking.......:) )

I appreciate your answer and viewpoint and I know exactly the feeling you're referring to. I get the same feeling too but only when a building uses vertical strips to make it look taller and not so much squares. Whenever I walk by 101 Huntington Street, I always feel like the building is a lot taller and bigger than its 336 ft height.

Back