The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Looking roughly NNW on 23 May ...

SzsYObDh.jpg

Crane jump coming soon. They were unloading the sections today.

I'm excited for the street-level and public realm improvements to North Station, but anything above the 9th floor will be a total snooze.

Remembering that this site remained fallow for decades, here's what Chicago's doing with the site of a famously abandoned project. I'm generally neutral to David Childs, but this is fresh. North Station deserved something this good, scaled down by a third.

Holy shhhhhh. That is incredible. Wow Im jealous. I love the set backs and then the step backs of individual boxes that continually break away until the thin top that flows into the crown. The shape is amazing, the twin tower aspect is amazing, tons of height, waterfront, riverfront, great base, great crown, great materials, thats something else. Good job Chicago that looks like some of the new supertalls going up in NYC which are the class of the world right now. Many times Chicago is too balcony happy and a lot of their taller high rises are mediocre which rely on height. These are flat out incredible.

This is flying up, but the podium looks really great thats whats important here. Is there any word about the office tower? This isnt approved as it is now right?

in any case, put another tower in the refrigerator at North Station.

Nice surprise..... pushin' 500' in a minute.

Noooo. Which one? They were flipping the bump out around all over the tower.

The BCDC approval apparently happened in early May. According to the May 4 BBJ:
The 31-story office tower planned as part of The Hub on Causeway, a massive mixed-use development at North Station, has received design approval from the Boston Civic Design Commission.

The office building’s anchor tenant is likely Oath Inc., Verizon Communications Inc.’s newly formed digital-media subsidiary. As the Business Journal has reported, the firm is negotiating to lease at least 300,000 square feet at the tower, which could house at least 2,000 employees.

The BCDC approval apparently happened in early May. According to the May 4 BBJ:

Ah, thanks for finding that. It must have been at the May 1 "monthly" meeting.

http://www.bostonplans.org/news-calendar/calendar/2018/05/01/boston-civic-design-commission-meeting

So it was this one that was approved, where the middle band was cut to let the tower meet the podium:

May 1 BCDC Presentation: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/b4862dd2-55e8-48af-8c84-a7b4676336e5

wWkeRlg.jpg

The office building’s anchor tenant is likely Oath Inc., Verizon Communications Inc.’s newly formed digital-media subsidiary.

Does anyone else remember when getting either AOL or Yahoo! would have been an enormous deal?

Ah, thanks for finding that. It must have been at the May 1 "monthly" meeting.

http://www.bostonplans.org/news-calendar/calendar/2018/05/01/boston-civic-design-commission-meeting

So it was this one that was approved, where the middle band was cut to let the tower meet the podium:

May 1 BCDC Presentation: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/b4862dd2-55e8-48af-8c84-a7b4676336e5

wWkeRlg.jpg

So much for the BCDC forcing them to design something for people with eyes.

I have to say that nothing, nothing designed for this site has had any delight for me at all. The design team has really struggled with this one. This is where BPDA and BCDC should be pulling their weight and protecting the design culture of a city.

I have come to see the office tower redesign within the context of a future Boston. One of the greatest experiences about visiting foreign places is the architecture that often comes across as odd to me. Though many do not like this tower and other prominent structures in our beautiful city, I choose to see how unconventional it is.

I'm looking forward to the finished product with this Jenga-like aesthetic, though no 56 Leonard which is fine by me. Boston is a city of a beautiful future and this will read differently at 500ft vs a render. I really like these buildings :)

I have come to see the office tower redesign within the context of a future Boston. One of the greatest experiences about visiting foreign places is the architecture that often comes across as odd to me. Though many do not like this tower and other prominent structures in our beautiful city, I choose to see how unconventional it is.

I'm looking forward to the finished product with this Jenga-like aesthetic, though no 56 Leonard which is fine by me. Boston is a city of a beautiful future and this will read differently at 500ft vs a render. I really like these buildings :)

Yea we can hope n it sounds nice but people thought this with brutalism. People figured city hall would age and kind of find its place eventually, never did. I think for the most part you can tell if something is high quality or will age well.

I'm all for unconventional. The problem with this building is how very conventional it is. It's architecture penned by accountants.

The problems begin with the proportions. The ratio of width to height is directly comparable to a vending machine, a paper grocery bag, a USPS mailbox, or a recycling bin. The projections on the facade are a sloppy, half-assed response to the question: "How do we make this massing model look 'interesting' without damaging our bottom line?"

This site deserved better. /rant

I just don't understand why everything needs to be the exact same damn height all the time. Both of these towers are the same height of each other, and less than 10' taller than the Longfellow Tower across the street. Basically, it's an updated, 1 story shorter version of the trio of 28 State Street, 60 State Street, and Exchange Place. Those 3 look like a jumbled blob together, and that's what we're going to get here as well.

Back