The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I see, that makes sense. Didnt even realize that even existed or was a possibility. Nice!

That makes perfect sense now to be able to walk up the upper balcony stairs and instead of hitting a wall now it will open up to a new area that has different amenities. Lots of stadiums are like this with a flat area above the uppermost seats where you can walk down to your upper level seats instead of only being able to go up until your against a wall. - Key Arena in Seattle being my favorite example which if you love architecture Id suggest reading the history of that place and seeing the renovations theyre doing now. It started out as just a roof over flat ground for the worlds fair before they dug out an entire arena beneath. Now they are gutting it again and digging deeper to build a whole new entire arena hoping to lure an expansion slot to get back the sonics... which its only right they do.

Anyways cant wait to see how this turns out, I love that this is not only a development next door but they are using it as another opportunity to improve the arena even more even though they had already about 5 years ago. In all were getting essentially a new stadium with the anount of improvements done, bringing it in line with any new arena in the country.

Last edited:
And my best guess from this one is that what's happening is that they're adding a 'club' experience behind the existing rafter seats, plus a single additional row of 'green monster' type stools & bar/table seats ... rather than adding an entirely new seating area per se above the arena.

party-deck-rendering-e1617d082e.png

So that would mean theyre opening up the yellow wall you see at the top of the upper deck in this image (sorry its big). - ie the fancy stuff you see in the other renders is happening behind where the yellow wall is here.

nb these are just guesses

td-garden-boston-seating-chart-04-view-section-row-seat-bruins-loge-premium-club-balcony-level-luxury-vip-suite-box-promenade-level-halo-boardroom-high-resolution.jpg

Hmm if you look really close at both it appears that the beams and roof of the stadium is just above that top render, meaning that is the upper boxes that are already there, that hole in the ceiling with the beams couldnt exist with boxes above too. Looking at it though somehow now the seats come up directly to the bottom of the boxes somehow??

The seats are black too??

This shows a bar presumably just below the upper boxes that also opens up to the arena through the punched yellow wall on the right where you can see into the garden.
td-garden-rendering-e.jpg

The staircase seems to be a way to get from the old boxes down to this new level. Then the escalator would bring you down to the top concourse behind the nosebleeds.

Then this is whats at the bottom of the escalator above.
td-garden-rendering-f.jpg

So the nosebleeds are behind that wall on the right. This is the top concourse. Now this escalator is getting installed through a punch in the ceiling bringing you up to this new area created by punching out the yellow wall. The areas on the left in both pics seem to be new space added by the hub on causeway.

Last edited:
So that would mean theyre opening up the yellow wall you see at the top of the upper deck in this image (sorry its big). - ie the fancy stuff you see in the other renders is happening behind where the yellow wall is here.

I do not think that's correct (though my take is also a guess).

First, Level 9 is the level that already overhangs the existing balcony. Second, they do say "cantilever". And third, the one render they show does not make any physical sense (I think it's another case of render background fallacy)...

My take is as follows:
9uCLlEw.jpg

And here's the render fallacy:
Level 9 is already a pronounced overhang over the balcony...but here they show Level 9 as directly abutting the last row at the back of the balcony...I think they just pasted the balcony seating in the wrong place in this render:
TCXYIQJ.jpg

I do not think that's correct (though my take is also a guess).

First, Level 9 is the level that already overhangs the existing balcony. Second, they do say "cantilever". And third, the one render they show does not make any physical sense (I think it's another case of render background fallacy)...

My take is as follows:
9uCLlEw.jpg

Yea it appears it was a render of the uppermost boxes I explained above because it didnt add up. You can see the ceiling just above meaning its the very top boxes lvl 9 and with new seats in front the seat backs are black too.

If you zoom in some beams rest on top of peoples heads...
party-deck-rendering-e1617d082e.png

Yea it appears it was a render of the uppermost boxes I explained above because it didnt add up. You can see the ceiling just above meaning its the very top boxes lvl 9 and with new seats in front the seat backs are black too.

^Yes, see the commented photo addendum added to my post above yours

Yup looks right. Also its only on the hub on causeway side because it can only expand into this new available space because the upper seats literally go up against the outside wall on those 2 sides as seen here. Thats why the upper boxes stick out and overhang.

This does show the yellow wall could be punched out on the shorter sides though in the future to add more boxes at the top of the nosebleeds below the overhanging boxes.
boston-bruins-virtual-venue-by-iomedia-providence-seating-chart.jpg

Level 9 is the top right here then the new level 8 is in front, with stairs to get between them and an escalator to get to the concourse.
td-garden-rendering-e.jpg

Last edited:
^Yea, my understanding is that all concourse levels are getting expanded outboard toward causeway street on that specific side of the garden (into the footprint of the addition).

Altogether this is some major work to the Garden...as would be expected commensurate with the $100M pricetag they've stated for the arena improvements facet of the project

Yup were essentially getting a brand new stadium with these improvements plus the major renovations 5 years ago. The structure itself is fine and most of the areas that interact with fans have been upgraded and remodeled. That along with the new grand entrance separating the flow from north station, the tunnel connection, and the new space added on every floor is a major upgrade and now sets us up to be in a great place for many years to come.

...So that would mean theyre opening up the yellow wall you see at the top of the upper deck in this image (sorry its big). - ie the fancy stuff you see in the other renders is happening behind where the yellow wall is here.
So, my apologies to CSTH, as it appears that they may actually be doing both...adding Level 9 cantilevered seats, and, only on the Causeway side, blasting through the wall behind the back row of the current balcony seats to create a multi-level (8 & 9) interior concourse...

...And clarification for those who have been to the Garden recently: What CSTH refers to as a yellow wall is no longer yellow...it has been painted black for a couple of years now.

Key Arena in Seattle being my favorite example which if you love architecture Id suggest reading the history of that place and seeing the renovations theyre doing now. It started out as just a roof over flat ground for the worlds fair before they dug out an entire arena beneath. Now they are gutting it again and digging deeper to build a whole new entire arena hoping to lure an expansion slot to get back the sonics... which its only right they do.

Seattle was trying to lure both an NHL and an NBA team. The only reason this is under construction now is because they were successful. An NHL franchise was awarded to a Seattle group last year.

I know, the NBA isnt expanding... today, but either through expansion or moving of a franchise like the Pelicans they expect that once the renovations are complete they will be in the position to land an NBA franchise. Vegas is a hub for basketball camps, summer league, the draft, so they want a franchise for T Mobile too so either by waiting for the next expansion that will probably add Vegas or a move I fully expect to see the sonics return within 15 yrs. Its a travesty that they ever left.

Hey thanks for pushing the analysis & hypotheses guys. All I can add is that even after all this discussion I'm still not sure what's being built.

But to take it from a different angle - if they are *not* taking the opportunity to open the 'yellow wall' and add concession and lounge space .... they *should be*, because it's just a missed opportunity in the current configuration....

Hey thanks for pushing the analysis & hypotheses guys. All I can add is that even after all this discussion I'm still not sure what's being built.

But to take it from a different angle - if they are *not* taking the opportunity to open the 'yellow wall' and add concession and lounge space .... they *should be*, because it's just a missed opportunity in the current configuration....

They're spending $100mil on something, and it sure ain't render artists...

That tunnel is terrible. There are so many simple things you can do to make it a pleasant experience and they did none of them.

I love this.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me why I shouldn't but I do.

You'd love it even more if canal st were a pedestrian only biergarten leading to a new park/plaza/retail space covering the ramps @ haymarket ... and there were an 80-foot-wide, raised-platform, brick & granite-paved crosswalk taking you across causeway st. to get there!

But yeah agreed its awesome and will be even moreso when the retail (including a supermarket!) there opens up!

i'm disappointed there is such radical revisionism with regards to the non inclusion
of Yoga pants resulting in the renders taking on a more fake appearance.

other than that, not bad.

You'd love it even more if canal st were a pedestrian only biergarten leading to a new park/plaza/retail space covering the ramps @ haymarket ... and there were an 80-foot-wide, raised-platform, brick & granite-paved crosswalk taking you across causeway st. to get there!

But yeah agreed its awesome and will be even moreso when the retail (including a supermarket!) there opens up!

This is exactly what I think every time I see Canal Street from the new arcade at the Hub on Causeway. Pedestrian mall Canal Street now!

This is exactly what I think every time I see Canal Street from the new arcade at the Hub on Causeway. Pedestrian mall Canal Street now!

You mean this?

It's been a few years in the making, but as far as I know it's still the plan. ;)

^^^^^^^^

Wow, way to go with your suggestion! Again it proves that one person can make a difference and, in this case, just might make a huge difference in city planning!! Bravo!

Back