The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

That's structure for a mechanical screen on the roof. Not sure why you don't seem to like it, since it gives the tower artificial height!

I'm referring to the steel bars on the far right of the webcam. I think it would look better with an open corner. This doesn't add any additional height compared to the mech roof, and just looks kind of tacked on and unnecessary.

Also, this mech crown is more of a natural expansion of the building itself and less "artificial height" which is more how I would characterize a spire or anything else that pumps up a building's official height but not visual impact. This building looks 496' to the roof, even if the roof is hollow.

I think hes talking about the open structure on the front of the crown on the res tower, which I agree may look weird. Interested to see how it looks, I was noooot a fan when it came out.

HUB-MAIN-VIEW_800.gif

Thanks for all the pics! The extra pieces of steel in that top corner are what I was complaining about earlier in the page. IMO they detract from the tower's overall design. As far as I can tell there won't even be a roof over that little section. It's just steel sticking out for no reason.

The residential crown does retain the “notch” unfortunately. I bet itd look better without it but nothing we can do..

Hopefully it looks better in person. Threw a couple new renders in here too.
HUB-MAIN-VIEW_800.gif

1mNwJIBh.jpg

xGKik6Ih.jpg

HubCausewayResidential_04_zpsphobnadd.jpg

Anyways its not noticeable from the “gateway” view, which is the most important... so thats good.
wWkeRlg.jpg

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion of that it did not have the glass cubes in the corners, it would be a lot cleaner. It looks really busy with the diagonal structure, overhangs and cubes all trying to work together. It looks unresolved.

^ Unresolved is an excellent word for this!

It's obvious that Gensler's designers (certainly their B-squad) are hoping to portray the sculptural energy of an industrial site -- a blast furnace, launch gantry, or mine shaft headframe. Why this aesthetic is appropriate in this location is a bit puzzling. The result is childish, cartoonish, and oppressive.

i'm no longer thinking of the ugly boxy thing as a highrise, but more properly as an MIT-area turd stacked upon another that very well may (someday) form a decent downslope with a very tall West End, to a dense, built East Cambridge.

I'm of the opinion of that it did not have the glass cubes in the corners, it would be a lot cleaner. It looks really busy with the diagonal structure, overhangs and cubes all trying to work together. It looks unresolved.

The glass tumors are solely to add leasable floor area to comply with Verizon/Oath's square footage requirements.

The glass tumors are solely to add leasable floor area to comply with Verizon/Oath's square footage requirements.

Too bad they didn't just, you know, stack 5 additional floors to meet that square foot requirement and fill the 600 ft limit they are given. Instead, they opted for the laziest attempt at adding creativity on a box.

Or have the glass corner be fully built out instead of every second floor projected. I hope they detail it right or this sucker will leak like crazy.

IIRC each tumor is a multi-story open mini-atrium (I'm sure there is a real architectural word for this) and was something Verizon wanted. I'm sure it is going to be quite pleasant for the people inside the building. You know, the ones paying for it.

i fear this will make the North End/West End/ Beacon Hill flat earther's crazier than ever.

Too bad they didn't just, you know, stack 5 additional floors to meet that square foot requirement and fill the 600 ft limit they are given. Instead, they opted for the laziest attempt at adding creativity on a box.

Adding floors didn't fulfill the requirement because Oath was requesting a minimum size per floor or group of floors.

Last edited:
^^to DD and all of the above; Precisely. Makes it much more lease-able in the event Verizon would eventually leave. Getting the ugly box to almost somewhat attractive, wharf-shaped box to final, INSANE garbage, this distasteful thing being built was either selling our souls big time for to keep the City finances in the black.

Last edited:

Back