The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Does anyone know what's going on with the black steel framing behind the construction stairs? It looks like falsework, but I can't figure out what it's holding up.

Construction elevator? I work nearby, and you can see the elevator come out of the steel framing once it gets above the podium.

For some reason I dont hate these colossal order windows. I think its because here its actually just a design element vs a trick thats actively trying or working to hide or disguise its height. When colossal order works... its bad, because the proportions are way off. When something thats 400ft tall looks like its a stretched 5 story building it just doesnt make any sense.

Here every facet makes sure to leave in subtle detailing always showing each individual floor. From further away the balconies always let you know just how many floors there are and from up close there are grey lines on the in between floors making every single floor visible. Basically this works out as to not be so much colossal order trickery, as just a design element that ultimately looks good. I think it worked.

bQNdeyL.jpg

dpgRjUs.jpg

Snapped a few shots at a rooftop party last night; didn't come out well on my phone, but interesting perspective nonetheless!

IrT2Y6u.jpg

GrXSVuJ.jpg

Snapped a few shots at a rooftop party last night; didn't come out well on my phone, but interesting perspective nonetheless!

Very nice

Don't worry too much about the quality of the individual shots -- we've got Beeline and a couple of others who take Pro-class pix. However, they usaully take them from well-known locations and perspectives

What is often more interesting are someone's pix from unusual perspectives and vantage points

So -- Keep shooting

The best part with this tower is the day the first steel beam went up it was already over 100ft tall.

Also I see that one grey panel is still there at the bottom right of the res tower where its supposed to be a white one, I hope they fix that. Its not that noticeable but once you see it you cant unsee it.

The resident tower looks good in several aspects. But, as with so much that has gone up since the insanely awesome JHT, the massing is kinda meh. Some have waited decades for a few more awesome things..... Here, missing are the 12 or so of the originally planned (i think) ~50 floors that would have knocked us out. The cladding is absolutely great. But, the all it can be factor clearly is not there. Being kinda squat adds to the unremarkable aspect–that some will notice.

In an odd way, the O'Neill almost looks tolerable next to the new tower:

I agree, made the same observation last year.

I didn't see your last paragraph until quoting for this post. But that's exactly my impression, too. This building actually makes the O'Neil look better by diminishing its prominence, that's how much it improves the overall streetscape.

Back