The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Last I had talked to a buddy at BP (~8 weeks ago), they were ready to go on the entire podium and the residential tower. The office tower would not break ground without an anchor tenant.

This makes perfect sense. I totally understand holding off on the office component but I will be upset if they build the podium without the residential either simultaneously or immediately after.

A large hotel component makes sense to me as part of the residential component considering the potential number of people that go to an event at TD Garden at night, drink at the event or after it, and would like to stay overnight and go home the next day.

It's a shame the moved away from the left side of the new podium looking like the old garden (complete with sinage). That was a fantastic little homage that's lost in this iteration.

For reference:
15cdb41.jpg

Loved the NORTH STATION BOSTON GARDEN throwback

Yep, that jumped out at me as a singularly awesome feature from the earlier design. If they were to bring that back, I wouldn't care at all about the towers.

Yep, that jumped out at me as a singularly awesome feature from the earlier design. If they were to bring that back, I wouldn't care at all about the towers.

really? you wait until the day this is supposed to break ground to reply to that? nice trolling

really? you wait until the day this is supposed to break ground to reply to that? nice trolling

Chill. This is an active thread (last posted in literally 4 days ago). No harm done. HenryAlan is a well-established member and anything but a troll.

Does anyone know if this broke ground today?

k

Well, I was on vacation when it was posted, so I'm sorry if my reply didn't fit with your schedule. :confused:

Well, I was on vacation when it was posted, so I'm sorry if my reply didn't fit with your schedule. :confused:

it's fine. i thought you were trolling that's all. my fault.

So, did they close off the parking lot? I didn't see any news about a groundbreaking, official or otherwise.

I have a spy who's going to check in the morning but if anyone knows anything ...

BTW, I read in another thread that the Garden leased a garage under the Garden from the T for a 75-year term. Which garage would this be? The one under AVA?

PS. I think that thread is a dup: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4189

Parking lot is closed no employees out there the past two days. Now we wait.

The garage is the North Station Garage.

FWIW....I walked past the Garden on Saturday and not only was the parking lot closed, the fence was wrapped in a heavy-duty green nylon, cloth material.

In addition, there were at least two Moriarty signs up.

I snapped a pic. Hopefully this is a positive sign.

picture.php

did you just say Moriarty?

This is going to be horrible.

someone call Sherlock Holmes....

Yet another BCDC meeting for this is tonight. I'll be looking for updates & will request the presentation if there are any notable changes.

Yet another BCDC meeting for this is tonight. I'll be looking for updates & will request the presentation if there are any notable changes.

What exactly is the purpose of these meetings on this project? My understanding is that this has already been approved by the BRA?

From the looks of the parking lot and contractor signage, it would seem that the start of this project is imminent. I can't remember the last time I've seen any sort of a review for a project that is apparently this close to starting?

What exactly is the purpose of these meetings on this project? My understanding is that this has already been approved by the BRA?

From the looks of the parking lot and contractor signage, it would seem that the start of this project is imminent. I can't remember the last time I've seen any sort of a review for a project that is apparently this close to starting?

The project wasn't outright "approved." It was "approved pending design review." It's a conditional approval where the BRA likes the concept enough to not put the kibosh on it, but not green-light blindly. The BCDC has to approve the design in order for it to get built; therefore, the design team must continually meet with the BCDC until they are satisfied and approve the project.

The project wasn't outright "approved." It was "approved pending design review." It's a conditional approval where the BRA likes the concept enough to not put the kibosh on it, but not green-light blindly. The BCDC has to approve the design in order for it to get built; therefore, the design team must continually meet with the BCDC until they are satisfied and approve the project.

Gotcha! This makes some sense now.

Just to be clear, as long as the BCDC signs off, it doesn't need to go back before the BRA board? So conceivably, it could receive it's final green light tonight?

http://northendwaterfront.com/2015/10/design-commission-sends-boston-garden-project-back-to-drawing-boards/

The Boston Civic Design Commission rejected Phase 1 design of the Boston Garden project at their review meeting last week. North End resident and NEWRA ZLC Chair, Victor Brogna, attended the meeting and reports the issue seems to be the main entrance which is visually an extension of Canal Street but is narrower and results in a noticeably unimpressive public entrance to a major civic structure. The BCDC also questioned the treatment of the area inside the entrance, where the proponent wants to put a mezzanine but the BCDC wants to see a more open high-ceilinged public space.

The BCDC sent the proponent (Boston Properties & Delaware North) back to the drawing boards. The North Station project had received initial approvals from the Boston Redevelopment Authority to move forward with Phase 1, including the base levels and hotel tower. Phases 2 and 3 were also on the agenda to be discussed, but the proponent withdrew them after seeing that Phase 1 was not going to be approved.

The Boston Garden Project includes three towers (hotel, residential & office) emerging from a podium base including retail and entertainment uses. A new Star Market supermarket will be below ground level, accessible through escalators. This massive project will have a major impact on the face of Boston, and on how the city is perceived by travelers coming from the North and sports enthusiasts from around the world.

"the main entrance which is visually an extension of Canal Street but is narrower and results in a noticeably unimpressive public entrance to a major civic structure."

Seriously? For a building that has its entrances essentially hidden, anything along these lines is an upgrade, in my opinion. this type of project would do wonders for the garden and this area with continuing the development of the area. Besides, if the Avalon Tower can be approved can anyone explain how this project gets rejected?

"the main entrance which is visually an extension of Canal Street but is narrower and results in a noticeably unimpressive public entrance to a major civic structure."

Seriously? For a building that has its entrances essentially hidden, anything along these lines is an upgrade, in my opinion. this type of project would do wonders for the garden and this area with continuing the development of the area. Besides, if the Avalon Tower can be approved can anyone explain how this project gets rejected?

It's in a far more visible location. I think the better question is: If the Avenir got approved to suck the life out of Canal on the next block down, how is this facing any opposition at all?

I wasn't there and don't know the politics, but this is the very definition of letting perfect be the enemy of good.

Back