The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I have a question. So far as I can tell, the original PNF posted on the BRA page (warning: giant PDF) showed, on pages 30 and 31 (Figures 2-4 and 2-5), escalators and elevators connecting the ground floor of the atrium to something near the entry lobby of the subway station. Now, those are apparently gone (I saw flying staircases in the design commission docs with nothing heading down, as well as recent posts in this thread). Was there ever an explanation as to why the direct indoor connection to the T was removed? I've seen posts here disliking it (and I do as well), but what happened?

I think they've moved them to the other side of the Garden, between it and the Zakim. You can see lots of trailers there from the Commuter Rail.

I heard that a long term plan for this is one of the sticking points with the City. The site was a huge area for event trailers and support vehicles. Where does that go?

I have a question. So far as I can tell, the original PNF posted on the BRA page (warning: giant PDF) showed, on pages 30 and 31 (Figures 2-4 and 2-5), escalators and elevators connecting the ground floor of the atrium to something near the entry lobby of the subway station. Now, those are apparently gone (I saw flying staircases in the design commission docs with nothing heading down, as well as recent posts in this thread). Was there ever an explanation as to why the direct indoor connection to the T was removed? I've seen posts here disliking it (and I do as well), but what happened?

Probably VE'd, or traded for extra lease-able space in the basement. I've never seen an explanation. It's the one thing worth rejecting the project for, IMO.

I heard that a long term plan for this is one of the sticking points with the City. The site was a huge area for event trailers and support vehicles. Where does that go?

Yes they park them out back now:

c1to3aA.jpg

Not as big, but employees now park in the garage instead of the front lot. A 40 truck concert like u2 will have to unload and find a satellite lot, but its fine for all sporting events and most concerts.

So many lots in that screenshot under construction now. #happydance

Golden -- nice pix --Between Lovejoy Wharf, the already underway Garden Tower, [the tower formerly know as Basketball Ciy] and this project -- this is becoming one of the most active construction areas of the Hub

In particular -- this project despite being sent back for the "Redesign of the Entrance" is moving right along -- I predict Cranes by Christmas :cool:

Per the BBJ, It certainly doesn't sound like Boston Properties is worried about the BCDC:

"Boston Properties expects to launch the $285 million podium phase of its 1.87 million-square-foot mixed-use Boston Garden project at North Station in the fourth quarter. The proposed project would include three towers, 497 residential units, 668,000 square feet of office and 235,000 square feet of retail, all atop a podium that would connect North Station to Causeway Street. The first phase of the Boston Garden project has been in a renewed design review since the summer and is slated to be discussed by the Boston Civic Design Commission Tuesday evening."

Seems like they expect approval tomorrow.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...-rents-now-at-80-a-square-foot-and-other.html

Does anyone know anything about the residential tower being built here

Per the BBJ, It certainly doesn't sound like Boston Properties is worried about the BCDC:

"Boston Properties expects to launch the $285 million podium phase of its 1.87 million-square-foot mixed-use Boston Garden project at North Station in the fourth quarter. The proposed project would include three towers, 497 residential units, 668,000 square feet of office and 235,000 square feet of retail, all atop a podium that would connect North Station to Causeway Street. The first phase of the Boston Garden project has been in a renewed design review since the summer and is slated to be discussed by the Boston Civic Design Commission Tuesday evening."

Seems like they expect approval tomorrow.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...-rents-now-at-80-a-square-foot-and-other.html

I know it's Boston Properties and not some fly by night, one off developer but is anyone else nervous about a project like this being built in phases? I worry that by the time the first phase is done, the economy is in the tank and future phases are shelved indefinitely leaving us with just a podium for the next 10-20 years. I'm probably just being paranoid but why can't the podium and at least one of the towers be built together?

In my opinion the podium is the best part by far so if that is all that gets built it is still a huge positive. Having this podium for the next 20 years versus a parking lot is still a huge gain, especially since it fits nicely into the fabric of the area.

I know it's Boston Properties and not some fly by night, one off developer but is anyone else nervous about a project like this being built in phases? I worry that by the time the first phase is done, the economy is in the tank and future phases are shelved indefinitely leaving us with just a podium for the next 10-20 years. I'm probably just being paranoid but why can't the podium and at least one of the towers be built together?

I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed that this DOES happen. I'm incredibly disappointed with the current iterations of the towers. If it takes a few years before it can come back and reach its full potential, so be it.

I agree 100%

Probably VE'd, or traded for extra lease-able space in the basement. I've never seen an explanation. It's the one thing worth rejecting the project for, IMO.

We started discussing it in April of last year in this thread. We never did get a straight answer about this and I lament my busy personal schedule to not have pushed this harder through TransitMatters or as a private citizen with the BRA. Arlington was the one who highlighted the difference in the floor plans for the ground floor and B1 that showed up in January 2014's FEIR.

Compare and contrast. Arlington cites the addition of several loading docks with the omission of the passageway. Others like datadyne have highlighted additional B1 retail space. It's not like there aren't successful shopping corridors that could allow us to have retail space AND the utility of an indoor transit connection...

Far better to have the podium and no towers, than the parking lot.

We started discussing it in April of last year in this thread. We never did get a straight answer about this and I lament my busy personal schedule to not have pushed this harder through TransitMatters or as a private citizen with the BRA. Arlington was the one who highlighted the difference in the floor plans for the ground floor and B1 that showed up in January 2014's FEIR.

Compare and contrast. Arlington cites the addition of several loading docks with the omission of the passageway. Others like datadyne have highlighted additional B1 retail space. It's not like there aren't successful shopping corridors that could allow us to have retail space AND the utility of an indoor transit connection...
Perhaps this is why the design was rejected?

Perhaps this is why the design was rejected?

From what we heard, the design was rejected due to a drawn-out disagreement over whether the entry concourse would have a mezzanine level. They seem to expect approval tonight.

Is there a public meeting for the approval? I want to complain about the towers. This is supposed to serve as the beacon for North Station and the Garden. By the time it's done it won't even be among the top 20 tallest buildings in the city. Pathetic considering how hard it is to get approved at 600' in Boston.

It's going to remind me of looking at a slightly stumpier group similar to 28 State, 60 State, and Exchange Place, all around the same height and really lousy from a skyline perspective!

Is there a public meeting for the approval? I want to complain about the towers. This is supposed to serve as the beacon for North Station and the Garden. By the time it's done it won't even be among the top 20 tallest buildings in the city. Pathetic considering how hard it is to get approved at 600' in Boston.

It's going to remind me of looking at a slightly stumpier group similar to 28 State, 60 State, and Exchange Place, all around the same height and really lousy from a skyline perspective!

Could not agree more. Let's make this stand out.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the podium is the only part of this project currently up for review/approval before the BCDC. The towers will be reviewed at a later date.

Back