The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Anyone know what happened at the meeting? Nothing online...

is that inside connection to the T new?

Also it looks like they cut the mezzanine back to open up the space more, which is what I thought was BCDC's objection.

is that inside connection to the T new?

Also it looks like they cut the mezzanine back to open up the space more, which is what I thought was BCDC's objection.

Both clear improvements. I also like the lighting and lightening of the structure that protrudes from the building over the main entrance on Causeway.

Okay BCDC, mission accomplished. Time to approve this thing.

Yes. The podium looks complete. Let's get that much built, at least.

This is a great project

Great addition to street level and while it is a bit disappointing that the residential tower will not goto 600 feet, it is going to almost 500 and that is still a significant development that will be a good addition to skyline and bring density and 24 hour activity to the area.

Is it official that ground has broken? Is there still work being done on site?

Really like this podium a lot. This is a win for the city. Well done.

This is honestly about as good as it could possibly get. Looks great, also good that it has that passage to the green/orange line.

This is honestly about as good as it could possibly get. Looks great, also good that it has that passage to the green/orange line.

Agree completely

Only improvement would be to have a sidewalk version of the Penalty Box Lounge on the Left from the hockey crowd and a comparable Personal Foul Cafe for the Basketball set on the Right

But anyway -- Let's see the construction really get going -- we gotta keep the cranes nesting:cool:

Based on that wording I would assume that the towers designs will be reviewed in the future so there is definitely a chance that the final designs for those could be better.

Great news.

Apologies to everyone for misreading the previous BCDC meeting result. I was very wrong in my assessment spelling out doom and gloom as if it was fact. My source was the BRA Twitter's ambiguous reply to a comment. Should have followed up with how exactly it was rejected (if it was come back in a week like it was the previous times or it's over).

Based on that wording I would assume that the towers designs will be reviewed in the future so there is definitely a chance that the final designs for those could be better.

City -- what has been approved for construction is the first Phase

according to the BBJ;
The project’s first phase is a $285 million steel-and-glass podium named “Champions Row.” Beyond creating a transportation hub for North Station commuters as well as crowds at TD Garden, the “Champions Row” podium is slated to include:
  • a Star Market grocery store;
  • a 20,000-square-foot sports bar that can hold up to 500 patrons;
  • a 50,000-square-foot entertainment venue that could seat up to 1,000 people;
  • a movie theater;
  • a bowling alley;
  • and additional retail space.
.....Boston Properties said it’s working with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority to create a covered connection to the North Station MBTA stop, a hub for both the Orange and Green subway lines as well as the Commuter Rail system.

....The second and third phases of Boston Garden will be returning to the BCDC for additional design review. Those phases will include a 500-unit residential tower, a 600,000-square-foot commercial office tower, 200 hotel rooms and an 800-space below-grade parking garage.

Sounds like this can be a winner with or without the towers

BBJ said:
The BCDC vote was not unanimous: The volunteer commission saw four positive votes, with commissioner Linda Eastley voting against the design and commissioner Bill Rawn abstaining.

I wonder why.

BBJ said:
The second and third phases of Boston Garden will be returning to the BCDC for additional design review. Those phases will include a 500-unit residential tower, a 600,000-square-foot commercial office tower, 200 hotel rooms and an 800-space below-grade parking garage.

Wait, how does the below-grade parking garage come after the podium? That must be incorrect, right?

I'm amazed that they made an internal orange/green connection; I never thought that they would do that. I had understood that the MBTA requested a non-internal connection. A huge win for the commuting public.

I really do think that the arcade needs a far bigger MBTA T logo on it that can be seen all the way down Canal St. Let people know that this is a transit hub, not just a game-day nightclub.

Finally, what's with the exposed bracing on the ease side of the base? It reminds me of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

YES, absolutely wonderful win to get the internal T connection established! Seeing it disappear from floor plans last year was terrifying. This building could've been an architectural masterpiece and it would've been an abject failure of a building to its users, transit-oriented development only because of its proximity.

Only improvement would be to have a sidewalk version of the Penalty Box Lounge on the Left from the hockey crowd and a comparable Personal Foul Cafe for the Basketball set on the Right

Basketball fans already have their Penalty Box. It's the T.

I'm amazed that they made an internal orange/green connection; I never thought that they would do that. I had understood that the MBTA requested a non-internal connection. A huge win for the commuting public.

I really do think that the arcade needs a far bigger MBTA T logo on it that can be seen all the way down Canal St. Let people know that this is a transit hub, not just a game-day nightclub.

Finally, what's with the exposed bracing on the ease side of the base? It reminds me of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The T wanted the connection to be external??? Do they (at the upper management levels) spend their time conceiving new ways to torture people? Or do they own ad space between the Garden exit and the existing subway entrance?

The T wanted the connection to be external??? Do they (at the upper management levels) spend their time conceiving new ways to torture people? Or do they own ad space between the Garden exit and the existing subway entrance?

They like to make the T as difficult and inconvenient as possible to access (read: Chinatown emergency exit at Hayward Place).

Back