The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

You'd think this would be the case (it should be the case), but God... you have no idea how much of a headache those FVMs are, even when they're going in actual T stations! The issue of who buys them, installs them and maintains them is always a sticking point during construction.

Why the need for full size FMVs?

Dont Shaws and CVSs still sell/load Charlie Cards?

Why the need for full size FMVs?

Dont Shaws and CVSs still sell/load Charlie Cards?

I grabbed two CharlieCards at Tedeschi for some visitors at Thanksgiving. Amazing that its easier to get the cards some place that isn't a station.

Wow. Just wow. During PM peak, that corridor between the fare gates and the headhouse is at crush capacity on every OL train arrival. Causeway Street is going to be a MESS.

Put me in the camp of "I can't believe they allow the closure of this, for three years, for a private development." I'm all for this development, it's going to be an amazing improvement for the site, but there's no reason the City/MBTA can't force the developer to maintain access 100%, or at least minimize closures.

I'm pretty sure that the people who make these decisions never ride the 'T, or at least only do so off-peak. They literally envision a few people having to cross the street every six minutes, not a near continuous stream.

I'm pretty sure that the people who make these decisions never ride the 'T, or at least only do so off-peak. They literally envision a few people having to cross the street every six minutes, not a near continuous stream.

Surely there arent that many dirty poors?

Maybe I'm getting old. But I actually miss the old garden and the elevated green line. Love the pics whigh

ditto^

Maybe I'm getting old. But I actually miss the old garden and the elevated green line. Love the pics whigh

Yep. Some of my earliest and favorite memories of downtown Boston involve the old Green Line station and the Causeway St. El -- so much atmosphere. I do think this project will help immensely, though, in making the area feel more urban again.

I miss the elevated orange line.

I just think the area was so UNIQUE especially going to the Bruins and Celtic games back in the 80's.

It was like we were an underdog city that would never lay down and die.

Our opponents knew that coming to Boston that we don't Quit fighting to the end.
That is my feelings.

Overall I believe the new development seems very promising for the area.

Those elevated rail lines could have been a really cool 'highline' type park for the city. Oh well, hindsight.

Those elevated rail lines could have been a really cool 'highline' type park for the city. Oh well, hindsight.

They also resulted in a lot of urban blight of the streets underneath them. The development you see today in the Bullfinch triangle is in part because of the elimination of the El.

They also resulted in a lot of urban blight of the streets underneath them. The development you see today in the Bullfinch triangle is in part because of the elimination of the El.

This is True. I remember walking under the Greenline L and it was very dumpy.

Overall I would have liked the Greenline L stay in this location.

I think the swing in urban trends has more to do with cleaning up that area than the presence of the el. Chicago and New York have seen neighborhoods swing as dramatically or more than Bulfinch triangle while having an el the whole time.

Unlike a highway overpass just carrying people from one far away place to another far away place, an el is (or at least can be) supportive of vibrant street life in the areas it passes through. Certainly a subway is preferable, but its not like an el is a recipe for blight.

Unlike a highway overpass just carrying people from one far away place to another far away place, an el is (or at least can be) supportive of vibrant street life in the areas it passes through. Certainly a subway is preferable, but its not like an el is a recipe for blight.

Agreed. In many European cities, and in Tokyo, especially, areas beneath tracks can be pretty awesome. There are some examples of "nooks" in Chicago and NYC, too, but, generally speaking, I think it's an American characteristic to regard "under bridges" and "under tracks" as "don't go there" zones.

Agreed. In many European cities, and in Tokyo, especially, areas beneath tracks can be pretty awesome. There are some examples of "nooks" in Chicago and NYC, too, but, generally speaking, I think it's an American characteristic to regard "under bridges" and "under tracks" as "don't go there" zones.

We tend to do a lousy job in America of trying to do any "place making" under bridges, tracks, underpasses. Some of the urban design under overpasses in the Netherlands, for example, is amazing.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/...two_new_underpasses_that_look_like_works.html

http://www.wallpaper.com/architectu...light-installations-for-two-dutch-underpasses

Although maybe that is changing... DC is getting some of this treatment, by a Dutch design firm:

http://dc.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/rainstorm-led-lights-noma-m-street-underpass.php

Speaking of tracks, bridges....

Derailed_thread_by_StareOfGreed.jpg~c200

Sorry, it was on a silver platter and I couldn't resist.

Is this new? It looks exactly like the old version and I thought they were going to update it. Residential tower is ok, the office tower is trash

I actually quite like the office tower. It is a little stocky, but it owns it. This is evidence that a big glass box doesn't have to look like trash. The crown is a welcome addition to downtown Boston. With the lighting this could be pretty spectacular.

Back