The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

They really screwed the pooch on the residential. In particular, the lack of height differentiation between not only these 2, but also Avalon and soon to be Alcott, make the whole area look like a blob from most angles. That's why the State Street tower is now so important. It's going to be the key showstopper that not only better "connects" the rest to the downtown skyline, but also draws the eye away from these other buildings.

I agree that the residential tower's height is the main problem with the development overall. I think the office tower is pretty much meh, but not the disaster some are saying. In some ways, I like it better than the original proposal, which mostly reflects that the original was a real dog with it's weak modernized take on art deco. And the podium is of course fantastic. So the only real issue is the plateau and it didn't need to happen, since more height cleared the approval process then what we ultimately got.

I agree with a better residential the office would have been fine and it would have been a home run in its entirety.

49943298508_36497c10c4_b.jpg

49944096242_a01a1ea132_b.jpg

Best strip mall in the entire city?

49943295608_82dd9f23e1_b.jpg

I agree that the residential building not reaching the pre-approved 659' is a huge miss in terms of the visual aspect of this corner of the city. Having a peak like that surrounded by Avalon, Alcott, office building, and even the One Congress buildings would've gone a long way toward making this area appear more visually satisfying from a skyline perspective.

Maybe we'll get something on some of these other parcels near North Station someday that reaches a bit higher.

I really don't care for how this place looks on the skyline, or the overall mass from afar. But I went by this area for the first time today at ground level and it was actually surreal how urban and sort of interesting it all was. A ton of commercial space, the vertical scale of it, bike lanes down the center, and the tree-line Canal st at the sort of anchor of it all. I'm usually not fond of new urban developments (seaport, assembly) but I could see myself going back once it's all complete and Covid passes.

One of the biggest markers of success is one of my buddies from Maine came down for a Bruins game and I asked him what he thought of the new development around the garden, and he asked me what new development? He had no idea that all of that was new, he thought it had always been there.

It cheapens the building? This building couldn’t be any worse in my opinion. It cheapens the whole skyline and thus how some, perhaps many, people view Boston as a city. There should be a stipulation that such signage be reserved for companies headquartered locally.
Kmp1284 -- "Mr Watson come hear [😷 ] I want you"

Does that Ring a Bell? 🤩

The whole telephone thing started just a short walk from North Station -- and Bell probably commuted to Bell Inc*1 from his father-in-laws in Salem via and earlier version of North Station

As in American Bell Telephone Co which eventually became AT&T [the real AT&T as in the Bell System -- not the faux one going under AT&T these days. The Bell System in turn fathered / birthed? New England Tel & Tel which became Verizon

So if anyone not headquartered here to have the right link to justify a sign in Boston it would be Verizon

Last edited:
It cheapens the whole skyline and thus how some, perhaps many, people view Boston as a city.

We're already one of the most boring cities in America... can't get much worse.

I like it.

I remember the SNET commercials: "we go beyond the call..."

I grew up with that jingle in CT. It's lodged in the same brain crevice as "Brown eggs are New England eggs, and New England eggs are freshest!!!"

Someday when I'm parked in front of the TV at the elder care home rec room drooling all over myself, I'll be whistling that tune long after I've forgotten my own name.

It doesnt burn your eyes or anything but architecturally, its like a finger painting brought home from kindergarten

The Garden is notorious for having terrible soft ice in the summer, and it was always an issue for long playoff runs. The NHL playoff plans don't even include Boston as a potential location.

I know as part of the renovations that a lot more insulation was added to the building, and there were rumors that the office tower would share a "booster" chiller to help cool the arena portion of the building since office/arena events have complementary schedules. Anybody working on this project know if this was implemented?

The Garden is notorious for having terrible soft ice in the summer, and it was always an issue for long playoff runs. The NHL playoff plans don't even include Boston as a potential location.

I know as part of the renovations that a lot more insulation was added to the building, and there were rumors that the office tower would share a "booster" chiller to help cool the arena portion of the building since office/arena events have complementary schedules. Anybody working on this project know if this was implemented?

First half of the season seems like eons ago (because it was)...but how was the ice in preseason & start of season Sept.-Oct.? Soft ice usually hit them start-of-season too on those warm weeks.

Back