The Ipswich | 2 Charlesgate West | Fenway

True or false: residents of the higher floors of this building will have a view of all (or most) of the field at Fenway?

Good question. Seriously, how much game watching can feasibly happen?

It would be shear novelty - unless you're talking about someone eccentric enough to try to watch through binoculars or a telescope.

We all know the 'view' is always better on TV - the point of the park is to *be there* with the crowd.

The 'free view of the game' issue is a total red herring.

Any kind of 60 inch plus high def television is much better than being at the game!

Odurandia -- versus say sitting in the bleachers where you are at least 400 feet from home plate just behind the bullpens

or as close as 300 ft atop the Green Monsta

for an average 6' ball player the angles are so small that the tangent and the sin are essentially identical

here are the angular sizes of a batter from the various view locations
  • 300 ft Green Monsta 1.1 deg
  • 400 ft Bleecha 0.86 deg
  • 500 ft Ted W's Red Seat 0.69 deg
  • 1250 ft Top of Charlesgate 0.27 deg
  • 4420 ft Pru Skywalk 0.078 deg where for the cost of an elevator ride you can view the game with a pair of 8x or 9x hand held binoculars as well as someone sitting in Ted's seat

for comparison the full moon subtends an angle of between 0.49 [apogee] and 0.55[perigee]
and your "OK" thumb at arms length [depends on your arm and thumb] but is approx 1 degree

I see that "will cast a shadow over bla bla bla" is now the most favorite excuse for people opposing anything in Boston?

^For anyone who even makes that argument here, I have to discount their opinion entirely because it's as stupid as can be. The earliest Fenway game occurs at 10am once per year, and even then, the sun is high as to cast no shadows on the park.

^ I could see 'glare' as a very legit issue. But shadows? nope.

Why didn't the sox get upset when the Pru ended their distant view of the Custom House Tower from the top of the press box.

This post and argument is ludicrous. Businesses are just the people who run them and those people changed many times over the years. Situations change too, even if the same people remain. Harping on inconsistency is almost always just pointless distraction.

For the record, I don't support the Red Sox opposition even slightly. The idea that one property owner can imposes its will over another blocks away just because it's big business is disgusting. The Red Sox need to start buying up surrounding property if they want to dictate how it is developed.

Where are you guys coming up with this stuff?

It would be shear novelty - unless you're talking about someone eccentric enough to try to watch through binoculars or a telescope.

We all know the 'view' is always better on TV - the point of the park is to *be there* with the crowd.

The 'free view of the game' issue is a total red herring.

Nobody outside of this forum is raising any concerns of "free games".

^For anyone who even makes that argument here, I have to discount their opinion entirely because it's as stupid as can be. The earliest Fenway game occurs at 10am once per year, and even then, the sun is high as to cast no shadows on the park.

Nobody outside of this forum is raising any concerns of shadows on the field.

^ I could see 'glare' as a very legit issue. But shadows? nope.

Nobody outside of this forum is raising any concerns of glare.

^I'm pretty sure there were concerns about shadows, which is absurd. Also, no one inside of this forum is concerned about shadows.

^ It is funny, there is a project that casts shadows on Fenway, but it is not this one. It's The Pierce. (But it is the winter shadow scenario, 3 PM, so I assume the Red Sox were not concerned. Although it could impact Frozen Fenway.)

Also, in terms of shadows and Fenway Park, the biggest culprit is -- Fenway Park -- it casts shadows on itself every afternoon!

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/7fdc9ff4-eab0-440a-9f5f-ee1b66625cbc Figure 3.1d

Found the most HD render in history in the globe.

belkintower.jpg

Found the most HD render in history in the globe.

belkintower.jpg

That sure is a purdy render, right there.......

Of course, the alert reader will quickly see it as wrongful propaganda by the Red Sox who own the Globe.

Notice how none of the buildings that have been built in the past several years on Boylston, Van Ness, etc. appear in the Globe's red Sox propaganda render????

Also, notice how it conveniently doesn't mention anything about the Pierce -see Stick N Move's Pierce render......Post #783 http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4174&page=40

The Globe as Red Sox mouthpiece is a journalistic shambles.

where in the Globe was that posted?

the Globe should demonstrate the view from the upper floors,

and other nothing to see here nonsense......

For the billionth time this is not about the view into the park but the view from the park.

Btw one thing I would be concerned about is sun glare on the tower blinding hitters.

For the billionth time this is not about the view into the park but the view from the park.

Btw one thing I would be concerned about is sun glare on the tower blinding hitters.

Which is a very real concern that should be taken into account during design:

Hancock glare of death into 101 Huntington:
C0s-cQXWgAAhDhV.jpg

Photo via a friend

Last edited:

C0s-cQXWgAAhDhV.jpg

The relative orientations of the Hancock and 101 Huntington are very similar to 2 Charlesgate and home plate at Fenway.

This is certainly not an insurmountable challenge, but something that should be considered as the sun sets to the west during afternoon and evening Sox games.

And funny that if isn't shadows (NOT ENOUGH SUN!) it's glare (TOO MUCH SUN!).

C0s-cQXWgAAhDhV.jpg

Glare schmare. Dome Fenway and build a supertall over it(and it damn well better have a spire and be lit up at night). Problem solved.

Back