The Ipswich | 2 Charlesgate West | Fenway

The "historic" look of Fenway is an interesting subject on its own. Its look has changed with the times. No more Duffy's Cliff and fans on the field. Lighting for night games. The "single deck" look gone. The "historic" green, ad free look of the 60's-80's gone. Revolving ads, neon signs, upper decks, luxury boxes, "jumbletrons"... all here.

Other than the subtraction of Sherm Feller and John Kiley, and the addition of "Sweet Caroline", I'm ok with it.

Well, the times are a changing again, and if there is a high rise in the distance, tough boogers. It will probably be blocked by a John Hancock or Budweiser sign anyway.

Merely pointing out an inaccurate statement you made concerning the distance of tall buildings from other ballparks. I assumed that you might not know. Further, no one claimed San Diego and Cleveland are Boston, so you are now creating a diversionary strawman argument.

So what? That's what.

I wish Fenway was as comfortable as Petco Park. What has been your experience there? I haven't been to the new ballpark in Cleveland, so I couldn't comment on whether it is better or worse than Fenway Park.

My post was in response to HalyconEra's, not yours

It cool.

I like Fenway. It would be better if they tore out all the seats and resized it for this century, though.

Not that bothered about highrises, either. The historic rise of professional baseball leagues and mass viewing of same are products of cities!

The primary concern of the Sox, and the reason that they don't want the tower there, is that it will block views out of the park and loom over the outfield, altering the historic character and "look" of Fenway.

Well ain't THAT some fine bullshit John Henry be peddlin' right there!

Image result for fenway monster seats

Image result for fenway budweiser roof deck

Image result for fenway jumbotron

Image result for fenway bank of America

Image result for fenway 406 club

**Seriously, Mr. Henry, it's poor form to piss on people's heads and tell them that it's raining.

My post was in response to HalyconEra's, not yours

I understand your point Jumbo, but toby and shmessy have reiterated my points.

We are not talking about putting a residential tower near the Eiffel Tower and destroying the image from afar. You can’t even see Fenway unless you are close to it, although you may be able to see the Coke Bottles of the light towers from the right angle in Back Bay or from Cambridge.

You and John Henry are talking about the view from the interior of a stadium which is occupied 81 times a year (max 94 games) and that view is only impacted by about 3/5 - 3/4 of those lucky souls in attendance that are fortunate enough to afford to be present in the shine.

Hell, I liked the screen above the Green Monster, but that’s long gone, converted into obstructed view seats allegedly available only via a raffle with a one entry limit that somehow are always won by Ace Tickets.

It’s bad enough that we must pay homage to an Oil Company sign of a corporation that has absolutely no connection to Boston’s history and is now controlled by one of the most viscous dictators in the world. Nothing of substance will be built in Kenmore or on the air-rights over the pike in view of the sign for nostalgic purposes only. Now, the nothingness beyond the scoreboard in centerfield, formerly adorned with a Marlboro sign must be undisturbed as well, so as to not to offend the view from the Billionare’s box and corporate suites.

As this proposal borders the Browker Overpass, the rail lines and the Pike, it’s in a perfect spot, except for altering the view from within. As odurandina notes, someday people will chuckle at the nimbyism of today’s time but in the meantime, Boston will become more and more expensive to live in as housing development continues to not come anywhere close to meeting demand due to special interests.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Red Sox too (although I wish the Braves stayed instead as the NL is a better game and we would have gotten Hank Aaron in town and likely avoided the nonsense that the Tom Yawkey legacy brought upon us, but I digress). IMO, the Sox get plenty enough from the city and their fans, and they can deal with a tower in close proximately just fine.

I wish we kept the Braves instead of the Sox too! You'd have had three pennants 1948-58 and one championship in 58. Winning records just about every year. Hank Aaron.

P.S. Sorry. That war is over. I'm coming down from the hills and handing in my Nambu and Arisaka.

I understand your point Jumbo, but toby and shmessy have reiterated my points.

We are not talking about putting a residential tower near the Eiffel Tower and destroying the image from afar. You can’t even see Fenway unless you are close to it, although you may be able to see the Coke Bottles of the light towers from the right angle in Back Bay or from Cambridge...

Hell, I liked the screen above the Green Monster, but that’s long gone, converted into obstructed view seats allegedly available only via a raffle with a one entry limit that somehow are always won by Ace Tickets.

It’s bad enough that we must pay homage to an Oil Company sign of a corporation that has absolutely no connection to Boston’s history and is now controlled by one of the most viscous dictators in the world. Nothing of substance will be built in Kenmore or on the air-rights over the pike in view of the sign for nostalgic purposes only. Now, the nothingness beyond the scoreboard in centerfield, formerly adorned with a Marlboro sign must be undisturbed as well, so as to not to offend the view from the Billionare’s box and corporate suites.

As this proposal borders the Browker Overpass, the rail lines and the Pike, it’s in a perfect spot, except for altering the view from within. As odurandina notes, someday people will chuckle at the nimbyism of today’s time but in the meantime, Boston will become more and more expensive to live in as housing development continues to not come anywhere close to meeting demand due to special interests.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Red Sox too (although I wish the Braves stayed instead as the NL is a better game and we would have gotten Hank Aaron in town and likely avoided the nonsense that the Tom Yawkey legacy brought upon us, but I digress). IMO, the Sox get plenty enough from the city and their fans, and they can deal with a tower in close proximately just fine.

Halcyon Era -- you are too9 much immersed in the past for your own good

There are no more Coke Bottles on the Light Towers even though there was still a Coca Cola corner in this image

and a whole lotta development just beyond Left Center Field

massachusetts_boston_fenway_park_07.jpg

Halcyon Era -- you are too9 much immersed in the past for your own good

There are no more Coke Bottles on the Light Towers even though there was still a Coca Cola corner in this image

and a whole lotta development just beyond Left Center Field

massachusetts_boston_fenway_park_07.jpg

Sometimes yes, but I'm not the one arguing to preserve the views. I'd wall the lyrical little bandbox off if I could.

Banker and Tradesman tweet (which is cryptic and any useful information is locked behind B&T's corporately-priced paywall) suggests this parcel has sold to Scape (the student housing people behind last week's Boylston project) and that presumably this proposal is fully dead.

Confirmation: https://www.bldup.com/posts/scape-acquires-fenway-property-for-39-million

Well if they're paying 39 million, I think they're planning on some sort of development on that site.

Whatever happens, objections about how any building on this plot must not "block views from Fenway Park" should be thrown out immediately.

on the side of the Pike that can easily support ~400', if not 600'
put a fat, squat turd.

Another bold proposal dies on the vine. It's a little tough to stomach sometimes.

Banker and Tradesman tweet (which is cryptic and any useful information is locked behind B&T's corporately-priced paywall) suggests this parcel has sold to Scape (the student housing people behind last week's Boylston project) and that presumably this proposal is fully dead.

Confirmation: https://www.bldup.com/posts/scape-acquires-fenway-property-for-39-million

Unfortunate, since I liked the original proposal. But, this would be a great location for student housing, given they won’t need cars and could walk to any of the nearby colleges.

I can't see why anyone thought this was going anywhere. It was Belkin.

Back