The Ipswich | 2 Charlesgate West | Fenway

Its double the units from the 2019 reproposal. The 2016 design is probably dead. Im expecting something closer to the 2019 design but maybe a smidge taller.

Scape is all about student/workforce/affordable housing isnt it? I cant imagine they do luxury and tall here.

Supplemental Filing

Welp, that's a downgrade. Scape was doing so well, too. Utile even did the Boston Conservatory Building next door, so you'd think they'd get the Ispwich streetwall better than this...

1636247928553.png

1636247958039.png

I preferred the original groundbreaking proposal, but that one was already yanked away from us. At least the scale is much more appropriate here than when they did the 2019 revision. The first picture makes me think of the BU dorm.

hey, great massing, great program, 400 units. I don't mind a plain street wall. I dont mind the loss of the "weird architecture." Wierd architecture only looks good if its designed and built well, and in Boston it usually isnt.

Are you looking at the new proposal in post 283 or the comparison photo in post 285?
Both!!! Ok, maybe one is St Luke’s in New Bedford and the other is Newton Wellesley Hospital.
Oh well. Guess I fell in love with with that sci-fi first proposal.

Last edited:
I can take or leave the "car art" (Though, who knows? Maybe it'll be really cool?), but the structural changes -- lower/shorter first floor with less glass, more (but much smaller) windows on the floors above --- are all signficiant downgrades.

I do appreciate that the taller portion got an addition 36' and improved aesthetics.

I love DPIR in Boston. There are full renders in this one, but they're usually street level only or non-existent. And then hundreds of tables of thermal, wind, shadow studies, etc.,from every angle of the city, of which none will truly have any impact on anyone but the pearl-clutchers readying their pitchforks.

Meanwhile, Seattle planning docs are like "Here's a 40-story skyscraper (yes, yes, we know it's fugly as all hell). Deal with it". 🏗️

That's a really significant extension of the skyline west!

Back