The Ipswich | 2 Charlesgate West | Fenway

Re: 2 Charlesgate West

You guys are both missing the point. Belkin isn't building this - or anything - because he can't build this - or anything. If his having the other Federal St. parcel to work with was going to make a difference there, the tower would exist already. I think Belkin means well, and he has a longstanding vision of combining those sites and making a tower work, but his track record in Boston is more lacking than Accordia's, and that's saying something.

This is a render cooked up to prop up his Winthrop Square bid. That's it. As a proposal, it doesn't even exist. It's a fantasy of what could theoretically be built on the site of TNP Headquarters.

U really think so? I dont think they would go through the trouble just to back out especially when we need housing desperately and fenway is booming.

U really think so? I dont think they would go through the trouble just to back out especially when we need housing desperately and fenway is booming.

They didn't go through ANY trouble. Absolutely nothing has been filed. All they did was hire what appears to be Elkus or CBT to do a distant render of pretty tower to prop up their Winthrop Square RFP book.

I hope not this would really be a great development. Im sure that they will file soon I dont think theyd do this just to do it.

That brings up an interesting point. What exactly has Belkin ever built around here?

Didn't they build the tower this is replacing? Or they just own it. Sorry Im not very familiar with this building.

I'd approve it based on the Ipswich Street level upgrade alone.

Agreed 1000% - this is awesome!!!

I see you're trolling the Globe comments section. :D So far response isn't too negative. They've also rightly talked to the right community groups already.

I'm genuinely surprised they actually proposed this, but it does look good. I like the retaining wall integration on Ipswich.

I'd approve it based on the Ipswich Street level upgrade alone.

Just being a bit pissy here ...

We talk about street engagement all the time here and I am afraid that this proposal is all sexy renderings and all ... but the ground level is blank, and dreadful and is leaving all the fun for the people who can get past security.

I would push the developers to engage in their urban environment a bit more.

cca

I feel like this actually has a fair likelihood of going forward. Fenway neighborhood groups have proven pretty receptive of development and height.
Also, they have already accepted this development in much more significant areas. I would argue the Burger King Lot, 1330 and that side of Boylston buildings have done a lot more to impact the primary area of Fenway residences. By contrast, this is pretty much on the edge.

Plus aside from the point, this may be the nicest addition.

I'm genuinely surprised they actually proposed this, but it does look good. I like the retaining wall integration on Ipswich.

Yup .. I know its an existing condition .. but its a tough streetwall.

cca

Yup .. I know its an existing condition .. but its a tough streetwall.

cca

Tough, but if they restore and light the rocks, possibly pretty. It also will make a difference what they do along the Turnpike for the "art wall".

Also, I didn't realize Belkin owned Lookout Farm, but he does. That's cool that the render has what I assume would be the actual restaurant signage...

There are those who postulated after seeing the first renderings of this project that it was all a play by Transnational to look better for the 111 Federal proposal. Now that we've seen more renderings and a Globe article, do those who believed it was all a sham still feel the same way?

There are those who postulated after seeing the first renderings of this project that it was all a play by Transnational to look better for the 111 Federal proposal. Now that we've seen more renderings and a Globe article, do those who believed it was all a sham still feel the same way?

Yes. This is phase II of their sham, as the BRA is currently reviewing the RFPs right now. I don't think they anticipated to get into the media with their hidden render in the RFP book (that was probably a nice surprise for TNP) but this is a ploy to get directly into the media spotlight.

I see you're trolling the Globe comments section. :D So far response isn't too negative. They've also rightly talked to the right community groups already.

Yup! You've got to believe folks that are decision makers at least read those comments sometimes. With that said, the response on this one in the Globe comments section has been 95% positive. Usually it's about a 50/50 split with new building comments.

Back