The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

ablarc said:
Mike said:
Construction costs and ?the overall housing market? pushed the project?s construction back, he said. Other short-lived roadblocks to the tower's development included protests from Chinatown groups and preservationists who wanted to save the Gaiety Theater. Also, owners of the Glass Slipper strip club challenged in court a proposed taking of their property at the site where Kensington hopes to build. The club has since relocated across La Grange Street.
Illustrates that this process sometimes gets absolutely nobody what they want. Here everybody is a loser --including the public.

actually, ablarc, your completely wrong.... THE GLASS SLIPPER WON! WOOOHOOOOOO. :twisted:

p.s. dont go there during the day, the talent is AWFUL.

p.p.s. it's 9 bucks for a bud light

So have they got the financing yet and started some construction??
Anyone got pictures of the site?
Where is kz when we need him?

TheBostonBoy said:
So have they got the financing yet and started some construction??
Anyone got pictures of the site?
Where is kz when we need him?

the site is a sandlot at the moment

Oh, I'm here. I'm omnipresent, you know :wink:

..about this site, I haven't noticed any progress since they tore down whatever little buildings that used to exist on the Lagrange St. side. But since you're specifically asking, Mr. theBostonBoy, I shall snap a couple of pics at some point in the near future. However, let it be known that since there aren't exactly a lot of offices in that little pocket of an area (Centerfolds next to a WilmerHale? a Mellon Financial? nevah-gunnah-happen), I don't go through there much.

kz1000ps said:
Oh, I'm here. I'm omnipresent, you know :wink:

..about this site, I haven't noticed any progress since they tore down whatever little buildings that used to exist on the Lagrange St. side. But since you're specifically asking, Mr. theBostonBoy, I shall snap a couple of pics at some point in the near future. However, let it be known that since there aren't exactly a lot of offices in that little pocket of an area (Centerfolds next to a WilmerHale? a Mellon Financial? nevah-gunnah-happen), I don't go through there much.

kz, your karma is already quite impressive... i'm counting on a loan at some point... :)

well thank you very much kz
Maybe I can snap a few of mine own when i go to Boston Saturday

I just hope I get to go near there

Hmmm ...

BostonBoy, why are you coming to Boston this Saturday?

just for you, BostonBoy

...in Buffalo, NY parlance, this would be called a "shovel-ready site"

img3746mg1.jpg

img3745dy9.jpg

img3745qy9.jpg

the savory neighbors (hey they gotta exist somewhere)

img3748xc4.jpg

Um because I love Boston, and my family all live there or in the area (Arlington, Newton) So I go down to Boston very often, like every weekend and I am from there originally but moved to NH in Elementary School.
That is why

Oh and thank you Kz! Sweet pictures, can't wait to see this baby during the actual construction phase.
And my comment above is to what JimboJones said

Thanks for the photos kz100ps...

Boston's biggest sandbox. Makes me want to go grab my trusty pail and shovel, spread a beach blanket and build soaring sand condominium towers into the summer sky. The only thing stopping me is my silly old phobia of broken bottles, dirty syringes and used prophylactics.

"Forget everything I thought I knew"...Everything? All of it? I thought I knew how to get along pretty well but apparently I was wrong, I am a retard, I need to be re-educated by purchasing a condo in Boston. Yes, that will do it.

I was gonna comment on that one Van. "Forget everything you thought you knew" I wish I was in the boardroom when that one was unveiled.

Former Gaiety Theatre site gathers dust
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter

Friday, June 15, 2007

Kensington Place was touted as Boston?s next upscale residential tower when the historic Gaiety Theatre was leveled in 2005 to make way for it.

But nearly two years later, there is just a dusty lot off lower Washington Street where the 30-story luxury skyrise was supposed to drive the last nail through the remnants of the old Combat Zone.

So far, the only beneficiary has been the Glass Slipper strip joint, which did business near the Gaiety and also found itself in the path of the tower. With a key assist from City Hall, the Slipper moved to a new and improved peel palace just across the street.

All of which has left the activists who fought to save the Gaiety embittered.

?This is a scandal and an outrage what was done there,? said Shirley Kressel, head of the Alliance of Boston Neighborhoods.

The tower?s would-be developer defends the deal, blaming rising construction costs for the delay. The firm has already pumped ?tens of millions? into the project, said James O?Brien, a top Kensington executive.

But O?Brien also could not give a timetable for when work might finally start.

?Hindsight is just wonderful,? he said of the project?s critics.

City Hall, which used its eminient domain powers to take possession of the development site, is standing by its developer.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority shelled out $2.25 million in a settlement that paid for the Slipper?s old building and the cost of relocating to new digs, according to a spokeswoman. Kensington, in turn, reimbursed the BRA shortly after.

?Kensington has shown they are committed to the project,? said BRA spokeswoman Jessica Shumaker. ?We are confident they will proceed as soon as they can.?

But for project critics, it?s a sad case of ?I told you so.?

When the demolition of the theater was being debated a few years ago, Lee Eiseman, treasurer of the Friends of the Gaiety, argued a vacant lot, not a tower, would be the result.

?We were telling anyone who would listen that this would happen,? said Lee Eiseman, who served as treasurer of Friends of the Gaiety, which sought to save the theater. ?Of course we are cynical about it.?

God they should just build now then before construction cost rises even more. I really don't understand it. If cost continues to rise why not build it before it becomes more expensive instead of whining so much.

Just give it to another developer.

BRA seems corrupt.

I believe that this project is officially dead. They took down the rendering at the site. What a waste. The developers should be run out of town.

No. Well, maybe they can make something even nicer now, and they can build a nice little theatre in the bottom. Where is this lot, exactly?

NW corner of Washington and La Grange streets. Formerly contained the Gaiety Theatre, Club New Orleans, the Glass Slipper, and an unlamented one- or two-story commercial block.

Back