The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

Yeah, it's gotta be the financing. They got approvals in 2003, construction costs started to skyrocket in 2004, the condo market softened in 2006 (it was proposed as both condos and rentals, so that probably tripped up financing quite a bit), and in late 2006 or early 2007 they watched a near-identical developement across the street (Archstone Boston Common) be forced to switch from condos to rentals. So one can assume that from their point of view the stars simply weren't aligning.

More recently, the past half year has given us the lovely subprime meltdown and ensuing credit crunch, while the last three months have been dominated by that dreaded "r" word. So my guess is it'll be at least another year before we see any activity here.

this was in the herald three years ago:

Kensington-Herald-R.jpg

Here's the site, as of today (pics by me):

IMG_1409.jpg

And here's a pic showing the W Hotel crane in the background:

IMG_1410.jpg

Last edited:

I'm heading over there now with my tonka trucks. anybody with army men meet me over there asap. No legos or erect-a-sets allowed.

Shucks. All I have are Legos.

IMO, this project turned out much better than the renderings. There's room for probably 100 cars on that lot -- much more than the developer wanted -- and we could probably squeeze in a park, too. That's all I ask out of a city -- open space and the parking to allow me easy access to it.

How do we go about getting it renamed Menino Park, or maybe Mumble Land.

what a waste....

maybe something better will be proposed??....i can dream

How do we go about getting it renamed Menino Park, or maybe Mumble Land.

YES! Mumble Land... my survival resides in the outcome of this proposal. Should it fall through, no more me...

Vote 1 on Proposal M.L! Wait, 1 is Yes, right???

YES! Mumble Land... my survival resides in the outcome of this proposal. Should it fall through, no more me...

Vote 1 on Proposal M.L! Wait, 1 is Yes, right???

I went to the phony hearing on this project and I still can't believe how corrupt Boston is. They cancelled the meeting after having posted it in the newpaper. They claimed the city's lawer told them they couldn't hold the hearing. Every one marched up to the legal department where the head said they never said anysuch thing. If nothing else, for me, this project symbolizes how corrupt Menino is and that does affect you.

I'm sure a vacant piece of land pays a lot less property taxes than an empty building in taxes.

I was a little slow getting this posted, but something was going on at the site last Friday. Maybe some kind of pre-construction, maybe the beginnings of a brand new parking lot. Who knows...

Hmmmm...looks like someone is trucking in underlayment for an asphalt parking lot. Lots of money is to be made here....look at Hayward Place!

^They are having fun in the sand! Maybe building a sand castle! Yay!

How about Needle Park?

Go dig around in that sand a bit, tell me if I'm wrong. ;)

When the city allowed demolition of the Pilgrim theatre across the street, I recall them allowing a parking lot for only a fixed, limited amount of time, after which the developer had to start building or face increasing penalties from the city.

Ron, do you think this applies here as well?

The crushed stone looks like a base for asphalt.

This is awesome! Then you can change the name of the thread to "Parking Lot at Kensington".

Hmmm. I thought we were over the EPA parking cap? I wonder which other parking lot(s) will be closing when this one opens? Too bad the green feds aren't asking these questions!

Back