The Lucas | 136 Shawmut Ave | South End

This thing is a crazy mess. That said, it is extremely unique. The views from the upper floors will be very unique in almost every direction. Combine that with the fact the neighborhood is changing very rapidly, and I can't see any reason why the units in this building won't fetch top dollar.

This thing is a crazy mess. That said, it is extremely unique. The views from the upper floors will be very unique in almost every direction. Combine that with the fact the neighborhood is changing very rapidly, and I can't see any reason why the units in this building won't fetch top dollar.

This building is going to end up wrapped up in 14 to 15 story buildings. Everything around it is slated for redevelopment in PDAs to max height.

Except for the front face, there won't be any views but other buildings right next door.

The building is pretty much sold out. Last I saw, only 1 unit remaining.

Interesting you say that, but not really sure what kind of unique views you're referring to. Sure, the front facing views from the top floor(s) will look out to Back Bay and the Hancock tower, but directly across the street from the condo are just projects. This isn't going to change as far as I know. Good going for the developers to have the place just about sold out, but for those prices, you might as well just buy in the Back Bay.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the appeal of the views from any of the other three directions of the building either.

This building is going to end up wrapped up in 14 to 15 story buildings. Everything around it is slated for redevelopment in PDAs to max height.

Except for the front face, there won't be any views but other buildings right next door.

Per a recent article in the Boston Sun, the developers are lobbying for the adjacent BPDA owned parcel to the south (ward/parcel ID no. 03-06169-000), currently being used as a construction staging area, to be redeveloped into a park. Something tells me that the "dire need of green space" is more of a subterfuge to preserve the dire need of at least a partial view to the south.

Not quite sure about that. The units facing southwest will have have a quite a view over the south end. Or maybe I am just wrong.

Anyone think the low buildings of the Castle Square projects could end up being re-developed? ...Massive potential for density without adding net additional cars.

Not for a while. The complex went through an extensive upgrade/energy efficiency a few years back. I think the CVS building on the corner of Tremont and the Pike has potential. Maybe even the MSPCA across the street?

In addition to the CVS building, what about the garage right next to it on Herald St? Although I'm sure whoever owns the garage is making good money off it, seems like a prime redev candidate. Anyone know if this is included in the updated zoning area?

The MSPCA building includes a public dog park that's very heavily used. Doubt anything is going to change there. It's also not in the rezoned area and may in fact be in the historic district.

The CVS building should be redeveloped - there's an empty storefront for months now at the corner of Herald and Tremont. I've always suspected the low garage on Herald is part of Castle Square. It would be great if it could be redeveloped - I fear that it's a perk of the low income housing in castle square.

Not for a while. The complex went through an extensive upgrade/energy efficiency a few years back. I think the CVS building on the corner of Tremont and the Pike has potential. Maybe even the MSPCA across the street?

CVS Building and the low rise garage along the Pike will definitely be redeveloped. Owned by Druker.

Not quite sure about that. The units facing southwest will have have a quite a view over the south end. Or maybe I am just wrong.

The relatively narrow view southwest is apparently safe. But the Verizon garage, the next building south, is owned by Druker and is slated for redevelopment in the 14-15 story range.

It's trending toward really awful. I'm hoping that construction around it makes it fade, but it feels like it wasn't worth saving the church walls if this the result.

Was this turd eligible for preservation tax credits? That's just about the only way I can see the developer justifying the expense of preserving the stonework while completely disregarding the former roof line.

Seriously? You all would destroy this beautiful facade and replace it with... what? A generic, low-budget, VE, Alucobond box? You do know the project is not finished, right? It's going to get better.

Back