The "MERC" at Moody & Main | Waltham

matredsoxfan

Reaction score
The "MERC" at Moody & Main is a major development project in the City of Waltham. The project will involve completely redeveloping the Block of Main Street (Route 20) from Spring Street to Moody Street, Moody Street from Main Street to Charles Street and Charles Street from Moody Street to Water Street.

The project being managed by Northland Investments Inc of Newton and constructed by Erland Construction of Burlington involves the demolition of the following buildings....

-702 Main Street Coldwell Banker
-716 Main Street Citizens Bank
-55 Moody Street Robinson Building
-1 Moody Street Santander Bank

And the construction of Three 5 Story Buildings with 27,595 Square Feet of Ground level retail on the 1st Floor and 269 Apartments on the upper floors. 392 Parking spaces will be constructed with 300 of those in an underground parking garage and 92 at the surface.

The project will also result in wider sidewalks along Main & Moody Streets and streetscape improvements.

The main goal of the project is to restore the historic look of the Mercantile Building that existed on this corner until 1979 when it was demolished.

Re: The "MERC" at Moody & Main

The Robinson Building at Moody & Charles Street was demolished today. The Coldwell Banker building was demolished last week.

2n84njr.jpg

Good for Waltham 2014. A pox on Waltham's past, not just for what was demo'd, but what replaced it.

It's always amazing to me that these decisions get made, and the mind starts whirring to guess the rationale. Hindsight of course always being 20/20.....

From the very little I know of Waltham, they seem to have their shit together better than Quincy. Even so, I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed we wont see the same happen here.

Also, difficult to type in this condition.

From the very little I know of Waltham, they seem to have their shit together better than Quincy. Even so, I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed we wont see the same happen here.

Also, difficult to type in this condition.

eyes crossed, i like that one

The biggest difference that I see in Waltham's favor is this is a less ambitious project overall so I think it has a greater chance of succeeding.

This is a downgraded proposal than the original proposed in 2007. That proposal called for over 300 apartments and 7 story buildings. I live in Waltham and this development will help in the revitalization in downtown.

The biggest difference that I see in Waltham's favor is this is a less ambitious project overall so I think it has a greater chance of succeeding.

The biggest difference is that the City of Waltham has done nothing here other than issue the permits. Quincy is trying to do this public-private partnership deal, and it hasn't worked.

Waltham also has a success story of sorts in Cronin's Landing, which these new developments are copycatting. Quincy is too big, with too little proof-of-concept.

Kidder Wrecking & Dismantling the demolition contractor has a Facebook with photos of the demo work on this project.

Crews began demo of 55 Moody on Wednesday https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152412900500629&set=pcb.10152412901365629&type=1&theater

And the main portion of the building came down on Thursday https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152415915960629&set=pcb.10152415916985629&type=1&theater

This photo shows the site and a look at the next building to be demolished next week sometime https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...460629.1073741831.269061265628&type=1&theater

There is nothing not to like about this project. It's all good. If the buildings come out as pleasant as the renderings, this will be terrific for Waltham.

This is great news for Waltham. Downtown Waltham has a lot of potential as it is a crossing of a few streets, with a small town square park and a commuter rail stop. It is a shame it looks so dumpy given all the stuff happening in dreary office parks along 128.

This is great news for Waltham. Downtown Waltham has a lot of potential as it is a crossing of a few streets, with a small town square park and a commuter rail stop. It is a shame it looks so dumpy given all the stuff happening in dreary office parks along 128.

I live in Waltham and I am very excited for this project and 200 Moody Street. The city will also be redoing sidewalks and adding streetscape elements (Lights, Benches, trees, trash cans etc) on Moody & Main Street's this year. Downtown Waltham will look completely different over the next year.

That is a very satisfying photo album. Immediately made me think of what I think is called the Constitution Center building in the Navy Yard (that gawd-awful red brick bunker just to the West of the USS Constitution), and how sweet it would be to see it demolished.

Back