The "MERC" at Moody & Main | Waltham

Re: The "MERC" at Moody & Main

^

I sort of agree, I guess, except that what do you do when 128 ends - Quincy is outside the 93 continuation of the belt but certainly is much more closely wed to Boston - and more urban - than some of the north western suburbs.

It's all rather subjective anyway... But it probably makes sense that any developments inside 95/93/128 as well as the closer towns of the south shore stay in the boson section.

It still would make sense to me to have a separate section for brockton, lowell, lawrence and worcester, +/- providence, since these cities are tied closely to boston, more so than "greater new england" which has the more culturally independent portland and the new york leaning cities of connecticut... and springfield, which is too far from boston.

^

I sort of agree, I guess, except that what do you do when 128 ends - Quincy is outside the 93 continuation of the belt but certainly is much more closely wed to Boston - and more urban - than some of the north western suburbs.

It's all rather subjective anyway... But it probably makes sense that any developments inside 95/93/128 as well as the closer towns of the south shore stay in the boson section.

It still would make sense to me to have a separate section for brockton, lowell, lawrence and worcester, +/- providence, since these cities are tied closely to boston, more so than "greater new england" which has the more culturally independent portland and the new york leaning cities of connecticut... and springfield, which is too far from boston.

FK4:

I think the old concept of Greater Boston -- roughly bounded by I-495 covers the outer zone

The inner zone -- aka the Hub would then be all development within & on I-95/I-93 aka the old RT-128 including:

Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Newton, Chelsea, Revere, Winthrop, Watertown, Arlington, Lexington, Waltham, Bedford, Medford, Everett, Malden, Wakefield, Winchester, Stoneham, Burlington, Woburn, Lynn, Lynnfield, Melrose, Saugus, Wilmington, Salem, Gloucester, Rockport, Swampscott, Marblehead, Peabody, Manchester-By-the-Sea, Beverley, Milton, Braintree, Dedham, Westwood, Needham

All of the key neighborhoods of Boston, Cambridge would have their listings

and finally there would be the major projects themselves

The MERC is making great progress. There is no photos due to the cold but they are making progress. The exterior wood frame of Building "A" on Main Street is pretty much complete and they are working on the interior of the First Floor retail. Building "B" construction has started with steel erection for the 1st Floor at Charles & Moody Street's. I recently asked a question on what materials they would be using for the exterior and got "Brick, precast & metal"

If no one's posted it here yet, a link to the construction cam. It's obviously static, but maybe it takes a picture every 5 minutes and then refreshes the screen with it?

http://www.liveatthemerc.com/construction/

Northland Investment got some bad press today in the Globe, regarding a property in New Haven CT. I'm posting it here because the Globe mentioned it in context of The Merc project in Waltham:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...controversy/qwLj6XNA2N7fEJw6YUspjP/story.html

I feel the need to rant on some aspects of the reporting.

For professional reasons, I had a tour of that New Haven property in about 2002. It was dreadful by then and had obviously needed many years to get to that state. The owner was The Community Builders in Boston, a/k/a TCB. They were working with HUD and the City to do a tear-down and replacement. Good plan, a decade or more overdue. TCB obviously never pulled it off. My less than full knowledge is that blame can be spread out among TCB, HUD, and the City. TCB sold the property to Northland in 2008.
Northland's general plan is similar to TCB’s old one in broad outlines; move tenants out, build replacement mixed-use mixed-income housing in its place (the location is in very close proximity to Amtrak station, btw).

The Globe links the New Haven story to the Waltham story not only because of the common developer but also because the Northland chairman himself points to The Merc in Waltham as an example of how the New Haven site could come out looking eventually.

The story does have some mea culpa quotes from the Northland chairman. They are acknowledging that they’re struggling with the New Haven property. He also acknowledges that this was their first venture into subsidized housing and that they got in over their heads.

All that’s fair enough. Commence rant (and NO, I have no connection to Northland whatsoever):

First, the article should have clarified that Northland came along in 2008 after a long saga of failure by others. By 2008 this property HAD BEEN in full-on crisis mode for some time.

Second, and speaking as someone in affordable housing, it is wildly insane for ANY developer, no matter how good their track record with unsubsidized housing, to pick this particular nightmare as their first foray into the world of demolishing and replacing HUD-subsidized housing. Did the Globe ask Northland why they did this? And what the hell were HUD and the City thinking to have selected any such developer? Did the Globe ask this? If not, why not? Maybe Northland was the sole bidder by the time 2008 came along? If that is the case, this should be acknowledged, as in “the only ones brave and/or crazy enough to take a shot at it.” Or maybe they just got so enthralled by the post-redevelopment possibilities (which I believe are significant) that they just couldn’t grasp the upfront hurdles (there MUST have been someone on staff screaming “nooooooooo”).

Third, what has been happening since 2008 when Northland bought it? There’s zero chance that their plan was to be still running it in the current format for this long. So clearly we can presume financing challenges and so on, that’s obviously part of it. But again, as someone in affordable housing, a nightmare like Church Street South does NOT get solved without massive infusions of either City, State and/or federal money, because private financing will only be interested in what comes as replacement. Undoing the existing nightmare is far beyond the private sector’s willingness, even with tax credits and so on. Will the Globe get into that aspect of this saga? The Globe should be asking, do HUD, CT, and New Haven REALLY want this horrible mess cleaned up, and do they REALLY care about those tenants, and if so, WTF has been going on for so many years?

Then there’s an apparent gotcha attempt regarding Waltham, as the Globe reporter seems to have brought the New Haven situation to the attention of Waltham building department officials:

Bill Forte, inspector of buildings for the City of Waltham, said he was unaware of Northland’s New Haven property until contacted by the Globe, but he said the city wouldn’t necessarily have denied Northland a permit if it had known about conditions there.

“We don’t discriminate on a person’s past,” Forte said. “We’ve encountered no major problems with the company and the construction thus far.”

One can more or less infer the nature of the Globe’s question, something along the lines of “if you had known about Northland’s New Haven situation during the permitting process for The Merc, would you have issued permits for The Merc?”

Excuse me, but the situation Northland started with in Waltham was radically different than the situation they started with in New Haven. As in being on Mars versus being on Pluto.

And WTF is the Waltham guy going to say now? He’s well past the point of no return on The Merc. Did they think he was going to respond with “Oh gosh dern it, we shoulda coulda woulda told these nasty slumlords to go pound sand and keep their slummifyin’ ways out of Waltham, ayup!! Oh lawdy if only the Globe had let us know in time, dang I hate it when that happens too late!!” I mean, seriously, why would he say anything other than what he said, or words similar?

Lastly, although the Globe article does not come right out and say "watch out Waltham, you've got a notorious slumlord a-building in your town square", there's a clear whiff of that to the entire article.

I think the Church Street South saga in New Haven will have fuck-all to do with The Merc's future in Waltham, unless it somehow were to drag Northland into insolvency. That's unlikely, I'm sure they compartmentalize. Northland's likely to have the sorts of profits rolling in on The Merc that they couldn't turn it into Church Street South if they for some reason set their minds to it.

/rant

I feel marginally better now.

The Globe's primary function these days is to stir the shit pot. Nothing to see here.

The Globe's primary function these days is to stir the shit pot. Nothing to see here.

I still feel better for having ranted. You can't make me give up that post-rant buzz, you caaaaaaan't make me.

I still feel better for having ranted. You can't make me give up that post-rant buzz, you caaaaaaan't make me.

No worries, dude. I knew nothing about any of this before reading the article, and I was ranting about it. If you don't have any claims of trouble documented before last winter, don't go claiming that Northland has been negligent back to 2008. The building failed, the people were moved. That's the story. If you're suggesting that Northland has been intentionally behind in maintenance in order to get people into hotels so that they could rebuild, then that's immoral, but the Globe has no evidence of that.

The Globe is dancing in "it's not slander in the US" territory here.

Right on. When the Globe ed board decides it wants to wag its finger at someone, it sends out a reporter to write something weaselly, counts off two or three days, and then writes an editorial that spells out the subtext in the weaselly reporting and lets us know how upset we should all be. So keep an eye out for an editorial on Wednesday or Thursday that expresses their deeply held concerns. Good post, West -- muckraking is one thing, but this looks more like a kneecapping under the guise of providing a public service to the citizenry. Of course the Globe would ignore any complexities that don't fit the narrative that the ed board wants to push. Par for the course for them. The real fun is in figuring out which deep pocket or connected interest is driving the sudden outrage.

The real fun is in figuring out which deep pocket or connected interest is driving the sudden outrage.

My guess, and it is admittedly a guess and is admittedly based on very stale information, is that someone either in the City of New Haven or in HUD is trying to deflect blame from themselves by shifting it onto Northland. And the Globe went along lazily. This would be iteration number the umpteenth on this New Haven property, though a bit unique for it to be splashing into the Globe.

I just can't see how any vested interest in Waltham or Greater Boston would gain anything from this particular muckraking on the Waltham deal.

If it did generate out of CT, Northland will probably be able to handle it easily enough with Waltham. From the "meh" response of the quoted Waltham official, those smoothing-over conversations may already have happened.

All this is reminding me that I need to find an excuse to get over that way to see how The Merc is coming along.

1. First sentence is proof that the Globe has done a service informing the public of this issue (even if their reporting is incomplete).
2. People were moved to motels. That's shitty and unacceptable. Northland clearly deserves part of the blame, and should find the tenants more permanent housing. I don't care about the Globe's motives, the developer deserves to be taken to task for that alone.
3. The reporting would have to be untrue to even begin to talk about slander, and no one here has any evidence that's the case.

I hesitate to do this because I don't really care about Northland enough, but...

1) If that were true, any publication could publish anything in any way, as long as it was something people didn't know. If I didn't know about this yesterday, and today I took the Globe at face value and believe that Northland is a dirty slumlord, that's not a service to me, it's a disservice to me. I'm more wrong today than I was yesterday.

2) The motels are probably better than the building the people were in. Northland has an obligation to provide the residents with housing, and they're meeting it. The developer doesn't deserve to be "taken to task" for housing residents when the lemon of a building they made the mistake of buying fails. If the Globe had approached the story fairly, you wouldn't think it does.

3) The reporting was very close to being untrue. The story implies in multiple places that Northland has a long record of neglect with respect to the property. They ambushed the Waltham guy about whether the City knew Northland's "record" when the permits for the MERC were issued, which happened well before last winter. Their record of what? Buying a low-income housing building in 2008? West has told us more of the story, but none of that appeared in the Globe. The Globe has no complaints against Northland from 2008-2015, and yet they imply that there was a "record" for Waltham to hear about in 2013. To me, that crosses the line. I admit that US law disagrees.

Where did matredsoxfan go? I liked his Waltham updates.

2. People were moved to motels. That's shitty and unacceptable. Northland clearly deserves part of the blame, and should find the tenants more permanent housing. I don't care about the Globe's motives, the developer deserves to be taken to task for that alone.

aaaaaa, on point 1 I think Equilibria answered just fine, on point 3 we’re veering into a legal discussion on slander, and I’m in over my head.

On your point 2, I’d add the following.

First, I find it easy to understand that you or anyone else could read about low-income people being shunted into motels because of some housing crisis and feel that it is a shitty and unacceptable action. I concur to a large degree. However, do understand that the Commonwealth of MA and many cities therein do the same thing with people on the cusp of homelessness: house them in motels, sometimes for many months. Because as a Commonwealth we are too cheap to find a better solution. I do not know whether you’re a citizen of MA so I don’t know if this includes you.

Second, the Globe article did not assert that the 60 households moved to motels were going to be there as a permanent solution. The article states that HUD has pulled the HAP contract, and Northland is emptying the place. There’s probably about five pages of reporting that’s missing right there. But the legal upshot is that Northland is now obliged to conform with the federal Uniform Relocation Act and any similar CT laws. I am moderately certain that the URA does allow for temporary housing in motels or hotels as a step on the way to more permanent relocation elsewhere. Probably the regional HUD office and the local HAP contract administrator have redirected the subsidy stream that was going to the project-based HAP contract over to the mobile Section 8 voucher side. And that’s very likely a big part of how the households are getting relocated, with Northland also obliged to kick in money (for moving expenses and security deposits and so on) and do much of the actual grunt work. I am doing a bunch of speculating here, but it is from experience in working for companies that have emptied housing that’s going to be torn down. It’s hard to move that many households without some folks making a temporary stop in a motel.

So the motel stop is legal and common. You’re free to still consider it shitty and unacceptable from a moral perspective, of course, that’s your own opinion (and I sort of agree, partially). But direct some anger at Congress and Beacon Hill, not just Northland. If the households are being treated with dignity and respect in the process (I have no idea if they are or aren’t), the stop in a motel, if it’s a decent motel, is probably a first step up from what is now a really shitty and unacceptable set of dwellings. Hell, they were shitty and unacceptable dwellings when I visited over a decade ago. This relocation is way overdue.

So, to cease the thread-jacking and bring it back to Waltham, my main anger at the Globe article was the attempted tie-in to the building department in Waltham. There was a clear implication that the disgrace in New Haven ought to have given Waltham pause when issuing permits for The Merc. I call bullshit on that. Northland by its own admissions to the Globe seems to have not handled things as well down there as they could have. But what they walked into in 2008 in New Haven had been a truly epic shitshow for years already. And they’re hanging in there and relocating people out after HUD / New Haven / prior owners had all collectively failed to do so. Tying that to a site in Waltham that had no relocation of low-income residents? Bullshit.

I would love to see the Globe do a really in-depth report on what unfolded over the years in New Haven. It would have to be one of those many part serials, it's a long saga. The Merc would warrant no more than a side mention in such an article, along the lines of "here's a local project this current owner is doing, but it's pretty much a different story there in Waltham." Instead of this lame attempt at muck raking, in which no muck got raked.

Back