The New Office/Lab Thread

Steve Adams on Twitter:

"DEVELOPING: Verizon in the hunt for 300K SF of office space in Boston."

Neat, that's a significant amount of space. It could easily fill ~75%+ of one of the seaport cubes, or a good chunk of a downtown tower. It might also be enough to anchor one of the larger proposed towers...though we do not yet have info on timeline, so if they want to move fast that may be off the table.

Nonetheless, an interesting one to track.

Steve Adams on Twitter:

"DEVELOPING: Verizon in the hunt for 300K SF of office space in Boston."

Well then, maybe they shouldn't have sold 185 Franklin. (Yes, I'm still bitter)

Edit: According to the blurb on the front page of Banker & Tradesman, they are looking at a commitment to be anchor tenant of The Hub On Causeway. Very interesting.

Edit: According to the blurb on the front page of Banker & Tradesman, they are looking at a commitment to be anchor tenant of The Hub On Causeway. Very interesting.

I will forever think 185 franklin should have the back half of the building demo'd and replaced with a much taller new building attached to the front half

I bet they would love to plaster a Verizon logo on the building overlooking I-93.

Is Verizon going to fill this space with IT people? Surely not back office jobs given the rent, and even front-of-the-office type positions seem unlikely, given the amount of space.

That's what I am trying to figure out.

I know they are aggressively trying to sell off company owned properties, so I was thinking maybe they were looking for a place to move their Bowdoin Sq operations. But honestly there are very few reasons to keep that work downtown (unless they have had a change of heart about keeping their back office employees happy).
So it may be some sort of network engineering R&D/local executive hub space?
If I hear anything I will pass it along.

Does Verizon have big operations in Boston? Seems so if they want that much space.

That's what I am trying to figure out.

I know they are aggressively trying to sell off company owned properties, so I was thinking maybe they were looking for a place to move their Bowdoin Sq operations. But honestly there are very few reasons to keep that work downtown (unless they have had a change of heart about keeping their back office employees happy).
So it may be some sort of network engineering R&D/local executive hub space?
If I hear anything I will pass it along.

Apparently it would be for their subsidiary, Oath which is the entity that they formed after acquiring Yahoo and AOL. Insert Yahoo and AOL jokes....

so basically social media jobs.

grab available space before Zuck does.

Globe: Hancock to return to the Back Bay from the Seaport

Jon Chesto said:
John Hancock Financial Services is moving back to the Back Bay.

The insurance company became one of the first corporate tenants in the revitalized South Boston waterfront, after its parent company opened a 14-story headquarters building on Congress Street in 2004 when the neighborhood was a sea of parking lots. But now Hancock is returning to its roots by shifting its approximately 1,100 workers at 601 Congress St. to two Back Bay buildings — 200 Berkeley St., sometimes known as the Old John Hancock Building, with its distinctive weather beacon, and 197 Clarendon St. — by the end of the year.

[...]

The move also enables Hancock to save on real estate costs. The company hasn’t decided whether it will sell or lease out the 465,000-square-foot office building that it’s exiting in the Seaport. The company has also been weighing a tower development at 380 Stuart St., near its two Back Bay buildings.

A Hancock spokeswoman says the real estate reduction will not be accompanied by a corresponding cut in the workforce. More than 2,100 people work in the Back Bay today, she said, spread among 1.2 million square feet, and there is enough room in the two buildings to accommodate the workers from the Seaport.

[...]

Makes sense to me. The company currently has two buildings in the Back Bay with 2,100 workers and one in the Seaport with 1,100 workers. If all 3,200 can fit in the Back Bay buildings, why split 1/3 of them off to the Seaport?

I'm sure that 1) Hancock will get some good $$$ for that building; 2) Skanska is really glad they've already leased up 121 Seaport; and 3) the Seaport Square developers of other office projects (Parcels D, L, etc.) will not be happy to hear this news. Almost out of the blue, an entire fully-constructed Seaport office building just opened up for leasing.

I can't decide if I think this makes the new building at 380 Stuart St more or less likely...

Last edited:

Back