The New Retail Thread

For those who have tried it, does Jimmy John's bring anything to the table that Quiznos, DeAngelo's, Subway, Firehouse Subs etc. does not?

For those who have tried it, does Jimmy John's bring anything to the table that Quiznos, DeAngelo's, Subway, Firehouse Subs etc. does not?

In a word: nope.

Potbelly, however, is pretty good in my book. Not so much for the sandwiches, but I love their giardiniera which they sell by the jar. I have some in the fridge at home. I like to put it on a cheesesteak :)

Pretty much any sub shop is an upgrade over Subway. I'd put Jimmy John's on level with D'Angelo (JJ has a better Italian) and Firehouse.

Thanks for that link. Lots of good stuff. I'm assuming they're keeping their Copley Place store as well.

Interesting that Dolce & Gabbana are coming to town, finally. What used to be in that space?

Didn't know about the Valentino renovations. It actually reopened last month. No expansion in floor space or the addition of lines (men's wear).
http://bostoncommon-magazine.com/th...-boston-boutique-reopens-with-a-luxe-new-look

Well their CEO is an asshole, so theres that.

As of 12:30, Uniqlo was not yet open. They are awaiting final sign-off from the Fire Department, but expect it to happen sometime this afternoon. (Why does this so often seem to the be the case, that stores/restaurants don't open when they expect to because they are waiting for some final city sign-off?)

As of 12:30, Uniqlo was not yet open. They are awaiting final sign-off from the Fire Department, but expect it to happen sometime this afternoon. (Why does this so often seem to the be the case, that stores/restaurants don't open when they expect to because they are waiting for some final city sign-off?)

I am guessing the inspection arm of the BFD is either understaffed and/or does not give a crap if a business announces an opening date on their own and the BFD can't/won't issue the permits in time for the announced opening.

Ghirardelli chocolate store coming to faneuil hall
10499531_754978104546075_5916986356666603687_o.jpg

Looks much larger than the pathetically tiny Godiva at FHM. This should be good competition.

Looks much larger than the pathetically tiny Godiva at FHM. This should be good competition.

Prices aren't as bad as Godiva, either, since enough of their most popular product gets stocked at supermarkets and CVS's at discount prices that they can't exactly charge too extreme a premium for their mainline squares product. The sweet spot is what they offer for the rarer flavors in such a large space. I've been to their San Fran headquarters and would kill to have some of those offerings available here. Any office in the Back Bay or Financial District buys a shitload of Ghirardelli as an office Xmas gift for the cube zombies to devour at the free food table in each workgroup (at one of my former jobs we accurately named the top of the file cabinets "the trough" for that purpose).

I always ship a package of Ghirardelli at Xmas to all my freelance clients of the given year; baiting them with sugar opiates is the surest-fire way of getting more business in the new year.

Shake Shack has started construction on their back bay location (newbury street) which will be their biggest in Massachusetts. There are "coming soon" signs in the windows. Didn't get pictures sorry.

...I don't get it. I was sorely disappointed with my one Shake Shack experience. The quality was decent at best, the portion minuscule, and the price excessive. I feel the exact same way about Chipotle. How do they compete when our local chains are so much better. Tasty Burger beats the hell out of Shake Shack, and even B.Good and even uBurger easily give them a run for their money, not to mention the one-off places (Flat Patties, Burger Dive). Then of course the burrito comparison is even crazier. Boloco, Boca Grande, Annas, Felipes, and whoever else destroy Chipotle in every way.

The prices are basically the same at those burger chains but shake shack's burgers are love, shake shack's burgers are life. One cheeseburger, fries at tasty burger, shake shack, and uburger all end up around the $7-$8 price range. As for the Mexican food joints, you're right about anna's/boloco>chipotle.

Chipotle tastes like plastic. But I'm a bit spoiled because we have lots of little Salvadorean shops around here that do a good job of making burritos (and plenty of other non-Tex-Mex food).

Surprisingly, my girlfriend reported that she did not like El Pelon and she made it a point to tell me. I'm ok with it but I don't go out of my way to get there.

Prices aren't as bad as Godiva, either, since enough of their most popular product gets stocked at supermarkets and CVS's at discount prices that they can't exactly charge too extreme a premium for their mainline squares product. The sweet spot is what they offer for the rarer flavors in such a large space. I've been to their San Fran headquarters and would kill to have some of those offerings available here. Any office in the Back Bay or Financial District buys a shitload of Ghirardelli as an office Xmas gift for the cube zombies to devour at the free food table in each workgroup (at one of my former jobs we accurately named the top of the file cabinets "the trough" for that purpose).

I always ship a package of Ghirardelli at Xmas to all my freelance clients of the given year; baiting them with sugar opiates is the surest-fire way of getting more business in the new year.

The Ghirardelli in the San Diego Gas Lamp district, one of the original California confection shops that remains today, is an experience. You completely forget that you can walk a block away to a CVS and pick a Ghirardelli bar off the rack.

When I was there for the Comic Con convention a few years back, Ghirardelli created an outdoor "chocolate garden" and served some of the best hot chocolate I've ever had.

Back