The New Retail Thread

Pret a Manger at State and Washington disappeared last week. One day it was there, and the next day *poof* it's like it never existed. I wonder if the always busy Paul bakery across the street had much to do with it.

I think Pret has really over saturated themselves downtown. Do we really need one on every other block?

That Pret was an interesting place. I was there very early one morning a couple months ago, perhaps the first customer of the day, and happened to oversee/overhear the daily staff meeting. While there is probably validity to the points about over saturation and competition, the meeting didn't exactly inspire confidence that everything there was running like a well-oiled machine.

I think Pret has really over saturated themselves downtown. Do we really need one on every other block?

Ever been to London? There really is one on every corner.

Ever been to London? There really is one on every corner.

There are only so many people regularly willing to eat $7+ pre-made sandwiches from refrigerated cases not sold at an airport post-security. As an occasional quick lunch in a pinch? Sure. In the regular rotation if you work/live nearby? HELL NO!! So many other better options downtown for lunch in Boston.

Agreed I don't see any attraction of ever going there for a premade cold-cut sandwich that was made at 5am. No thanks.

There are only so many people regularly willing to eat $7+ pre-made sandwiches from refrigerated cases not sold at an airport post-security. As an occasional quick lunch in a pinch? Sure. In the regular rotation if you work/live nearby? HELL NO!! So many other better options downtown for lunch in Boston.

Makes you wonder why so many people go to Subway to eat their garbage subs?

It truly baffles me that McDonald's coffee isn't that bad. In a pinch it's totally fine, and considering how Dunkin raised their prices a year ago to nearly Starbucks level I'll seriously consider going to McD's for my basic caffeine needs if those three are my only options. And there's a good question: why the f*** is Dunkin is charging Starbucks prices? Yeeaahh no... I've cut my visits to DD by half.

Also, put me down as another that has never for even a second understood the appeal of a cold, pre-made sandwich for $7.

Makes you wonder why so many people go to Subway to eat their garbage subs?

To be fair to Subway, all their sandwiches are made to order and their bread is usually freshly baked as well. Of course the ingredients are crap quality, but you can't really compare it to the pre-made selection that Pret has.

To be fair to Subway, all their sandwiches are made to order and their bread is usually freshly baked as well. Of course the ingredients are crap quality, but you can't really compare it to the pre-made selection that Pret has.

Also, for those who value quantity over quality (and the majority in this country do for some reason) you get a lot more food for your $5 foot long than you do with your $7 Pret tuna sandwich.

Yeah, plus Subway is significantly cheaper than Pret (by like, 30-40%) and serves much larger portions. And Subway is open when better sub shops are not.

If you want a filling $7 meal at a weird time, Subway is usually your best bet.

Still subway has gone away from the 5 dollar footlongs. It's now more like an 8-10 dollar footlong.

Back