The New Retail Thread

HomeGoods is opening in the former H&M space in Downtown Crossing. Now it will be Marshalls, HomeGoods, and TJ Maxx all in a row. I bet they got a good deal on rent.

HomeGoods is opening in the former H&M space in Downtown Crossing. Now it will be Marshalls, HomeGoods, and TJ Maxx all in a row. I bet they got a good deal on rent.

Homegoods, Narshalls and TJ Maxx are all part of the same company.

A little while back, there was some news that a Seaport restaurant, 75 on Courthouse Square, was already closed after only 7 or 8 months (Eater article below). At first it was believed for renovations, but then "confirmed" to be "permanently closed."

However, i just recently noticed a new and bigger "75" sign on the exterior of the building. I'm guessing that they are adding a new entrance directly from the exterior of the building into the restaurant on the 2nd floor somehow and may be re-opening after. 75 was the only standalone restaurant in the area that did not have a direct entrance. Can anyone confirm?

https://boston.eater.com/2018/8/27/17785814/75-courthouse-square-temporary-closure

^^I don't believe Kings has its own on-street entrance either. Nor does the movie theater (which, BTW, has been a ghost town the 5 or 6 times I've gone up to check it out). Kings are always busy.

^^I don't believe Kings has its own on-street entrance either. Nor does the movie theater (which, BTW, has been a ghost town the 5 or 6 times I've gone up to check it out). Kings are always busy.

That's why I was trying specify "stand-alone" restaurants only. Probably didn't come across as intended (I'm going on 4hrs of sleep from the previous day and I'm barely functional now :) ). Kings is much more than a restaurant. Also, both Kings and ICON have prominent exterior signage. 75 didn't have much at all previously if I remember correctly. I think 75 kind of got lost among everything else there.

Sad to hear about ICON by the way.. it's a fantastic theater.. I should go more often.

The one time I was at the ICON it there were tumbleweeds as well, I went at 4pm on a weekday though. Hopefully it does ok, it's nice to have it there. The matinee was also reasonably priced which surprised me

I think it's a lack of marketing. They have had nearly no advertising for the theater. If I didn't work in the seaport, I wouldn't have known it was there either.

I've been to the ICON twice, and both times it was pretty much sold out in the screenings I was in. Granted, both times were Friday/Saturday night. I agree about the lack of marketing though. I only knew about it because of having friends who see every single movie that comes out.

I think it's a lack of marketing. They have had nearly no advertising for the theater. If I didn't work in the seaport, I wouldn't have known it was there either.

Yea good point, they should advertise downtown and on the T a bit so people realize its there.

Trillium Brewing Company has been anything but quiet since announcing plans to open a restaurant in Fort Point nearly two years ago—its Canton brewery debuted an outdoor patio and bar, Trillium returned to the Greenway for another seasonal beer garden, it hosted its first beer fest, and the growing family company has announced plans to add a farm-brewery in Connecticut. But the team hasn’t said much about the Fort Point expansion—until now. Get excited: the Trillium restaurant is on track to open later this month, with three floors of beer and farm-to-table fare.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2018/10/02/trillium-restaurant-fort-point-construction/

Per earlier reports, the Beacon Hill Pub is now closed. The staff largely quit en masse when the new owners would not provide a timeline of plans. New ownership claims that the pub will reopen in the next several weeks once the residential units above have been renovated.

Jaho Coffee Roasters and Wine Bar opened on the corner of Huntington and Harcourt St - basically right underneath the Pru-Copley gerbil tube. I wish them well. They've seemed busy so far for breakfast, and they're probably getting a lively crowd for evening drinks. Other retailers/restaurants along this stretch of Huntington have had a tough time but I think this concept may buck the trend. They have a couple other locations around Boston, and one location in Tokyo.

do we have a drinking and dining thread?

long article....

Getting a taste of Union Square vs. the Seaport

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifesty...mmon-thread/x1O0q1jiShSBWc5ebDlAiK/story.html

By Kara Baskin GLOBE OCTOBER 11, 2018

Somerville’s Union Square versus Boston’s Seaport. It’s like comparing Brooklyn to Times Square or HBO to reality TV. One is a newly gentrified hipster haven. Another is a freshly built neon-and-skyscraper wonderland that wraps visitors in the familiar gauze of expense-account restaurants and upscale stores: sleek and steely and safe.

I’m old enough to remember both places in their more-or-less original incarnations. I used to visit a friend in a creaky walk-up on Rossmore Street a few blocks from Union Square, and we’d get Mexican food at what is now Cantina La Mexicana. At the time, it was just a counter serving cheese-oozing tamales and chips with smooth, spicy salsa — no chunky nonsense. Not too much else around.

On the other hand, the Seaport is where we took my grandparents for their 50th anniversary at Anthony’s Pier 4. My nana posed with owner Anthony Athanas as if he were George Clooney. We parked right in front, and I don’t think we lingered afterward to see the sights. I can still smell her Shalimar perfume wafting into the back seat as we peeled out of the parking lot past the docks. Now it’s like driving directly into the throbbing heart of a miniature Las Vegas.

So I set out to compare a night out in both neighborhoods, based around two new developments....

contd

^ I remember back when the Globe was worth reading (does that make me old?)

Honestly, as an assignment, this wasn't a bad "local flavor" reporting idea... but executed with all the nuance and finesse of a middle school newspaper. Cringeworthy.

Honestly, as an assignment, this wasn't a bad "local flavor" reporting idea... but executed with all the nuance and finesse of a middle school newspaper. Cringeworthy.

I liked it. The point in the end is that in both places have a bunch of people living, working, and having fun. The style is different, but the human element is the same. The message is one of unity rather than poking the other guy in the eye.

I'm old enough to remember a time when not everything in media was about sowing division and slinging insults.

Yeah. Seaport is glitzy ("like a mini Las Vegas strip"- gag me) and corporate, Union is more "neighborhoody," but in a gentrified, hipstery sort of way. That's the gist. We get it. The writer could have gone into a lot more depth than comparing Bow Market (a lot of fun, by the way) to Kings.

I liked it. The point in the end is that in both places have a bunch of people living, working, and having fun. The style is different, but the human element is the same. The message is one of unity rather than poking the other guy in the eye.

I'm old enough to remember a time when not everything in media was about sowing division and slinging insults.

I get it, but the reporter turned a potentially interesting comparison into an Aesop's fable with the moral that people of all stripes are nice. Barf?

They've redone Jillians- I'd say that's Boston's first barcade. It's much bigger and probably better than this. It's been revamped for a year or more

Back