The New Retail Thread

How is a dog bakery going to pay rent here when a sushi restaurant down the street couldn't make it?

How is a dog bakery going to pay rent here when a sushi restaurant down the street couldn't make it?

Likely far less square footage which of course = lower rent
Sushi restaurant needs many employees from servers, host, chefs, dishwashers, manager etc. whereas a dog bakery can probably be operated with only 1-2 employees at a time.

Finally, you would be surprised how much money people are willing to drop on their pets.

That being said, over/under on how long before it goes out of business = 2 years. ;-)

https://boston.eater.com/2019/1/28/18200380/barrington-coffee-fort-point-cafe-closed

Barrington Coffee in Fort Point to close. Being replaced by a Santander bank.

I was just there last week! (See my screen name.)

I wonder if Cafe Nero had a big impact on Barrington. Cafe Nero was hopping busy around 2pm on a Wednesday. They are just a few doors away. Cafe Nero now has two locations fairly close. Fort Point and Seaport. I had to walk from the Fort Point location over to Fan Pier, and it seemed like only 5 minutes or less between Cafe Nero locations.

That sucks. I didn't even know they had a cafe there, but I like Barrington Coffee, and I've bought their beans. Far too many people love Caffe Nero cuz they don't realize it's just another monstrous chain. Admittedly, their coffee is pretty good, but I can't stand anyplace that tries to mimic antique classiness in such a kitsch-y way, ie, stuffing each establishment with fake old furniture and lining shelves with old books, "just for the look".

I don't know if this belongs in retail but I notice that the string of shops just outbound of Egleston all have had a major makeover with now-matching signage. Looks really nice. I assume this was part of a Main Streets investment, goes to show what positive things those organizations can do.

This really annoys me.

Me too. I realize this is a question of personal taste, but I seriously feel they have among the best coffee in Boston. Fortunately you can still get their coffee at many other places, such as their own Newbury location and several cafes around the city (e.g., Cafe Amalfi in the North End, Cafe Fixe in Brookline, 7 Pond Coffee in JP, etc.)

What makes them different is that they don't intentionally downplay drip coffee in favor of pricey pourovers and esspresso drinks like so many others these days (they have those drinks too obviously, but they take their drip offering seriously...so for those on-the-go that want to grab a seriously good cup, it's a quick in-and-out affair). I would challenge any espresso-dedicated person to try Barrington's French Roast on drip.

To me Cafe Nero's coffee is nowhere near Barrington's. Plus, Barrington is a local Massachusetts roastery.

I bet this was a lease-turnover, where the landlord knew they could jack up the rent by bringing in a bank branch and ousting these guys. Grr.

Has anyone been to the new La Colombe cafe that opened in the Seaport?

Me too. I realize this is a question of personal taste, but I seriously feel they have among the best coffee in Boston. Fortunately you can still get their coffee at many other places, such as their own Newbury location and several cafes around the city (e.g., Cafe Amalfi in the North End, Cafe Fixe in Brookline, 7 Pond Coffee in JP, etc.)

What makes them different is that they don't intentionally downplay drip coffee in favor of pricey pourovers and esspresso drinks like so many others these days (they have those drinks too obviously, but they take their drip offering seriously...so for those on-the-go that want to grab a seriously good cup, it's a quick in-and-out affair). I would challenge any espresso-dedicated person to try Barrington's French Roast on drip.

To me Cafe Nero's coffee is nowhere near Barrington's. Plus, Barrington is a local Massachusetts roastery.

I bet this was a lease-turnover, where the landlord knew they could jack up the rent by bringing in a bank branch and ousting these guys. Grr.

You are correct. Barrington was the first tenant there. A local firm sold the property to a NY institutional investor a couple of years ago with well below market rents. You may see the Barbara Lynch restaurants turn over as well when they come up as they are well below market.

Rochambeau is the new French spot opening in the former Towne space.

I think the answer is to ease up some restrictions on restaurants not ADD restrictions to beautiful beautiful beer gardens.

FFS. What is the bill number? Everyone needs to write their reps asap

Back