The New Retail Thread

Waterside desperately needs the 1/4 mile barriers to come down. That side of the street has become a dead zone with construction.

Totally.

Also,

1) Then they'll begin construction on the adjoining lot now that it's gone out to bid (and has been awarded?), and we'll still be stuck.

2) I'm going to guess they aren't going to open the gate in the fence that goes down Congress Street, are they. It may not really end up saving anyone time (except those going into Seaport Hotel garage) but it's better to have it than not, I think.

Waterside desperately needs the 1/4 mile barriers to come down. That side of the street has become a dead zone with construction.

The are finally working on the old Barnes and Noble space in Downtown Crossing.

Actually, the scaffolding went up in late 2017 as I recall and the renovation has been continuous since then, you've always been able to see workers working behind the canvas wrap--they demolished the old B&N marquee and did a ton more over the preceding two years. Have you been away from Downtown Crossing for a while? <sincere question, not being sarcastic>

I don't visit DTX all that often, no, but it seemed to me that the scaffolding went up, the B&N sign came down, and then nothing. Others have made the same comment in this thread too. Last week was the first time I observed anything happening.

I don't visit DTX all that often, no, but it seemed to me that the scaffolding went up, the B&N sign came down, and then nothing. Others have made the same comment in this thread too. Last week was the first time I observed anything happening.

Hm... well, now that you've clarified like that--perhaps you're right! I just took it as a given that as soon as the scaffolding went up in late 2017, there was continuous work happening, even if the intensity may have been fluctuating...

They paid a fortune for the place, and have taken their time getting it ready.

Different perspectives on the place in context:

nxNGfXW.jpg

w8w8nld.jpg

They paid a fortune for the place, and have taken their time getting it ready.]

Pictures were taken from 40 Water St., yes? But inside the new glass box, or below it in the original Victorian-era building? <I'm guessing the new glass box>

The topmost floor of the glass box is the cafeteria/coffee shop. It has an outdoor seating area from which I took these photos.

It's about damn time that they start fixing up that spot! It has been a wall of death & an eyesore for eons!! :(

^Say what you want about Sam Adams/Boston Beer, but this has the potential to be a pretty neat space. Far better than the sunken, cavern-like Hillstone.

I loved Hillstone so much. It was sunken but that gave you a great view on the plaza, let you feel a bit removed form the chaos but still able to see it. And as chains go, the food was good while not insanely priced and the service was phenomenal. There is nothing like that in the area any more while a noisy beer place is well represented.

Pink Taco vs. Bartaco vs. Temazcal vs. Lolita vs. Rosa Mexicano. All in the Seaport.

Pink Taco vs. Bartaco vs. Temazcal vs. Lolita vs. Rosa Mexicano. All in the Seaport.

I am surprised Rosa Mexicano is still in business. I went after it opened and was not impressed with the food, drinks, service or prices. Ate at the Pink Taco in the Hard Rock in Vegas. It was ok. I give it 2.5 years here.

Back