The New Retail Thread

24 tiles. Below are the names of 19 establishments, some clearly have a tile.
Blackbird Doughnuts.
Bubble Bath
Daiquiris & Daisies
Dive Bar
Farmacy Café
Fuji
Gorgeous Gelato
Haley James
Hum ovah
Kutzu
Mamoleh's Deli
Mike & Patty's
Mother Juice
Newburyport Brewing
Northeast of the Border
Pennypackers
Tenderoni's
Wheelhouse

Yeah, but what albums are each of them using?

Lord Hobo looks like it should open within 1-2 months. Perhaps in time for summer business in their beer garden outside they had for a brief stint in 2020 before the owner was replaced.

Attachments

• 20220310_170855.jpg
    20220310_170855.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20220310_170851.jpg
    20220310_170851.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • 20220310_170839.jpg
    20220310_170839.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
The Liquorland CVS at Harrison Ave and Northampton St on the cusp of the South End and Lower Roxbury is closing on March 31st.

Levain Bakery is open on Newbury Street and is packed daily.

And the last restaurant announced to open in Clippership Wharf is...

...Mida. https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/

Not sure how I feel about an Italian and BBQ restaurant opening in Clippership on the water. I do think these spaces are inevitably doomed to be higher-end restaurants (for some reasons) but perhaps a new name or something more suitable for the waterfront would've been more interesting.

So now for East Boston waterfront sit-down dining we have: Reelhouse (Eddy; fine dining/seafood; $$$), Smokeshop (Clippership; BBQ; $$; still in planning), Pear and Lime (Coppersmith; Mexican; $$; in planning), and Mida (Clippership; Italian; $$; in planning).

Until the new high rise by the Eddy is built (I can't remember the name) this should be it for "waterfront" dining.

Perhaps this is opening in Boston proper to add to the "TV" restaurants like Guy Fieri & Ramsay (although I think Ramsay is in a different echelon).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-232158_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-232158_Chrome.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 116
And the last restaurant announced to open in Clippership Wharf is...

...Mida. https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/

Not sure how I feel about an Italian and BBQ restaurant opening in Clippership on the water. I do think these spaces are inevitably doomed to be higher-end restaurants (for some reasons) but perhaps a new name or something more suitable for the waterfront would've been more interesting.

So now for East Boston waterfront sit-down dining we have: Reelhouse (Eddy; fine dining/seafood; $$$), Smokeshop (Clippership; BBQ; $$; still in planning), Pear and Lime (Coppersmith; Mexican; $$; in planning), and Mida (Clippership; Italian; $$; in planning).

Until the new high rise by the Eddy is built (I can't remember the name) this should be it for "waterfront" dining.
Don’t forget Tall Ship which has (wildly overpriced) Rawbar as well as rotating food trucks and vendors. You could probably count Seabiscuit as waterfront too, but it’s not a dinner spot really.

I’m less than thrilled about Smokeshop. I’m more excited for Mida. FWIW, they haven’t done any work at Smokeshop in several months (before the new year I’d guess).

The Pear and Lime location looks like it’s actually making progress of late. Interior work is being done. It’s questionably “waterfront” though. This is the location. Still, I’d be happy with the new addition. The Well Coffee Roasters is about to open right down Border St too. Between Americano, Toasted Flats, the cart (can’t think of the name at the moment), and now Cafe Iterum and The Well, there’s no shortage of decent coffee spots around there.

And also their Framingham location at Shopper's World. Are there any local ones left?

Define local? (there are still plenty in the burbs). As far as in proximity to Boston (at/within Rt 128) I think it might be down to Burlington and Braintree.
Btw, this news literally follow right after a big NYTimes feature on how they're supposedly doing well now:

Shirley takes a stroll down Boylston, and writes about its rebirth.

Behind the vacant storefronts, the Back Bay is getting ready to bloom again. Those empty spaces belie a robust retail market, with confident landlords holding out for the right tenant and good terms, according to Whitney Gallivan, managing director at Boston Realty Advisors. Indeed, she said, retail rents have bounced back to pre-pandemic levels, with coveted spots going for 10 percent more than in the old days.

“Space is filling up on Newbury and Boylston streets rather quickly,” said Gallivan. “I would say it feels stronger than pre-pandemic. There is a hungry appetite for deals and being in Boston.”

Donahue said occupancy at the 214-room Lenox is on pace to return this year to 2019 levels, though rates haven’t fully recovered. Still, given how much business was off during COVID, he is not complaining.

“In my wildest dreams, I didn’t think it would come back as fast as it has,” he said.

Still for Back Bay hoteliers like him, the future of the Hynes weighs heavily. They have built their business models around the state-owned convention hall hosting more than 100 conferences a year and drawing over 200,000 attendees or more, all told. Residents and business leaders want a guarantee from the state that any redevelopment of the Hynes maintains a significant amount of meeting space.

Boston Properties — which owns the Prudential Center — agrees. New tenants have spoken for about 222,600 square feet of retail space over the last 10 months, according to Bryan Koop, Boston Properties’ executive vice president for Boston. That’s about one-third of the massive shopping center. Newcomers include Clover Food Lab, Swiss chocolatier Laderach, and Canadian fashion brand Oak + Fort. And there are constant rumors of a national retailer lined up for the empty Lord & Taylor.

Back