The New Retail Thread

I'll stick this in the Echelon thread also:

My first thought was, "Oh, outdoor Atrium Mall", but looking at the renders I actually kind of dig it. Another place I don't make enough money nor am cool enough to spend any time in, but it looks like a much more interesting spot than what Copley Place has turned into.

My first thought was, "Oh, outdoor Atrium Mall", but looking at the renders I actually kind of dig it. Another place I don't make enough money nor am cool enough to spend any time in, but it looks like a much more interesting spot than what Copley Place has turned into.
Agreed it looks cool and will probably be a hit- I will probably browse thru from time to time without buying much lmao

Fascinating seeing this one constructed; it was, quite frankly, alarming (in a positive surprise sort of way) to see how much $$ ostensibly got sunk into what was previously a small 1-story burrito shop. At first I thought it was just a renovation, then the demo continued and continued; one story was added, then another story was added...and when the dust settled, this modest retail slot became a swankily decorated 3-story place with a roof deck.
I wish them well (fingers crossed). Kendall needs more nightlife injections.

Agreed it looks cool and will probably be a hit- I will probably browse thru from time to time without buying much lmao

they clearly have the money and the connections to make this a hit. A lot of those brands could have been in seaport a long time ago. Cottonwood is an LA developer, sometimes it helps to allow others in..

Fascinating seeing this one constructed; it was, quite frankly, alarming (in a positive surprise sort of way) to see how much $$ ostensibly got sunk into what was previously a small 1-story burrito shop. At first I thought it was just a renovation, then the demo continued and continued; one story was added, then another story was added...and when the dust settled, this modest retail slot became a swankily decorated 3-story place with a roof deck.
I wish them well (fingers crossed). Kendall needs more nightlife injections.

I have zero skin in the game on this one despite commenting on it twice. I was amused seeing their sign yesterday. This has got to be the most in-your-face sign Kendall Square has seen; you need sunglasses to walk past it. The best part is that it is directly across the street from the new Ragon Institute building.

mxts1.jpg

they clearly have the money and the connections to make this a hit. A lot of those brands could have been in seaport a long time ago. Cottonwood is an LA developer, sometimes it helps to allow others in..
Cottonwood does not control the retail here. WS has been the retail for Seaport Sq even before they became the master developer for all of Seaport Sq.

Cottonwood does not control the retail here. WS has been the retail for Seaport Sq even before they became the master developer for all of Seaport Sq.

Cottonwood controls the project, developed it from the start. They took on WS Development to oversee the 125k of retail. Cottonwood is the big daddy on this project and is a part of all decisions made for Echelon, retail or otherwise. There is no doubt that Cottonwood and their connections had a role in the type of retail that has been leased. You're not wrong about WS but Cottonwood is not sitting on the sidelines.

Not sure if we have a closing/closed retail thread, but, unfortunately it looks like Ánh Hồng is closed, which has been hands down my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in the city for... well many, many years - ever since the 99 Cafe closed in Chinatown. Crossing my fingers that they are able to sort things out and find a new spot.

As to the Dino thing: I think the most insulting part of that is that they still, in 2022, aren't putting damn feathers on the dinosaurs.

I have zero skin in the game on this one despite commenting on it twice. I was amused seeing their sign yesterday. This has got to be the most in-your-face sign Kendall Square has seen; you need sunglasses to walk past it. The best part is that it is directly across the street from the new Ragon Institute building.

View attachment 19885
Good. Fantastic. City needs more bold bright signage.

Not sure if we have a closing/closed retail thread, but, unfortunately it looks like Ánh Hồng is closed, which has been hands down my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in the city for... well many, many years - ever since the 99 Cafe closed in Chinatown. Crossing my fingers that they are able to sort things out and find a new spot.

Devastating. One of the places I always made sure to visit when back in town. Was just there with my family right after Thanksgiving. So glad I went now.

On the subject of closed restaurants, I found out yesterday that Neighborhood Crepe Cafe on Peterborough in the Fenway is no more, and that made me sad.

Saw an article in the Boston Globe today about a new Irish restaurant opening "in City Hall Plaza" but no location. Anyone know more about this? Sounds interesting, Ireland certainly has a lively food community that we could benefit from. I'm just wondering where it's going to be.

Are all of these supposed to be album cover riffs? The Boston one is obvious, as are the Abbey Road and Appetite for Destruction ones, the Born in the USA is less obvious, but I'm not sure I'm getting the rest of them and it's driving me nuts.

Saw an article in the Boston Globe today about a new Irish restaurant opening "in City Hall Plaza" but no location. Anyone know more about this? Sounds interesting, Ireland certainly has a lively food community that we could benefit from. I'm just wondering where it's going to be.

^in the former Kinsale space in Center Plaza

More detail here:

^in the former Kinsale space in Center Plaza

More detail here:

Thanks, I thought that might be it.

Are all of these supposed to be album cover riffs? The Boston one is obvious, as are the Abbey Road and Appetite for Destruction ones, the Born in the USA is less obvious, but I'm not sure I'm getting the rest of them and it's driving me nuts.
24 tiles. Below are the names of 19 establishments, some clearly have a tile.
Blackbird Doughnuts.
Bubble Bath
Daiquiris & Daisies
Dive Bar
Farmacy Café
Fuji
Gorgeous Gelato
Haley James
Hum ovah
Kutzu
Mamoleh's Deli
Mike & Patty's