The New Retail Thread

Seriously...there is nothing to do after getting out of a late show at Boston Common other than hit the Theatre District bars, which I don't really care for. Theoretically there are a lot of businesses that could capitalize on these crowds.

It's s smart move on McDonalds part to not let people eat inside, imagine a pack of drunk hungry people invading the place?

Yeah, it's called doing good business.

Back in high school, we would hit the mcdonalds at 4am after leaving the clubs. It closed from 5am-8am.

Seriously...there is nothing to do after getting out of a late show at Boston Common other than hit the Theatre District bars, which I don't really care for. Theoretically there are a lot of businesses that could capitalize on these crowds.

How about a Jazz/Blues type club somewhere in or near Downtown Crossing? There are very few places in the downtown area where you can just walk in spur of the moment and catch some quality live music while enjoying a drink. Can't a club like that get a license to operate until 3:00am on the weekends so long as they stop serving liquor at 2:00am?

How about a Jazz/Blues type club somewhere in or near Downtown Crossing?
Filene's would be fine. It could be called Filene's Basement.

There are very few places in the downtown area where you can just walk in spur of the moment and catch some quality live music while enjoying a drink.
You could do that once in the Combat Zone. On top of the great live jazz and the drinks, you got naked ladies.

Can't a club like that get a license to operate until 3:00am on the weekends so long as they stop serving liquor at 2:00am?
Probably not. Hey what do you want, this is Boston.

El Pelon Taqueria is reopening where College Sub was on commonwealth ave, across from BC and next to the BC T stop.

Can't a club like that get a license to operate until 3:00am on the weekends so long as they stop serving liquor at 2:00am?

I think that's exactly how News Lounge (on Kneeland St) used to operate.

There used to be some legal "after hours" clubs, but neighborhood groups bitched them out of business. There are still some "social" clubs...

How about a Jazz/Blues type club somewhere in or near Downtown Crossing? There are very few places in the downtown area where you can just walk in spur of the moment and catch some quality live music while enjoying a drink. Can't a club like that get a license to operate until 3:00am on the weekends so long as they stop serving liquor at 2:00am?

Thats how it works in California in districts with 2am last calls.

Bars and clubs are allowed to operate (with permission) until 4am, but no alcohol sales after 2am. Juice bar only.

To prevent people from buying 20 rounds at 1:59, nobody on premise is allowed to drink after 2:15 or something, bouncers go around picking up everything.

So instead, people buy 20 round at 1:59 and drink them at 2:14, right? Sounds a lot better.

Not if they are smart, or unless they can drink all 20 in 15 minutes.

My point was, I'd rather see 20 shots spread over an hour, than 20 shots spread over 15 minutes. The 2:15 rule is silly.

I know of one bar that lets anyone in and drink till 3 and there's plenty of bars that if you know the people that work there you can usually stay and drink for a while longer (5-6am if you can handle it)... You just gotta search them out.

Some restaurant news from UniversalHub:

Burned-out El Pelon vows to return to Fenway
By adamg - 2/24/10 - 4:58 pm
Even as he opens a new restaurant in Brighton, the owner of El Pelon vows to return to Peterborough Street in the Fenway.

James Hoben is planning a March 15 opening for a new El Pelon at 2197 Comm. Ave., across from BC. In a statement, he says he remains committed to re-opening on Peterborough Street, but says that's at least a year away. The owner of the burned-down building recently submitted plans to replace it with a five-story mixed-use building, including a hotel.

Upscale restaurant planned for Hynes Convention Center
By adamg - 2/24/10 - 12:06 pm
The Lyons Group and the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority are planning a full-service restaurant for the Hynes on Boylston Street.

The proposed Towne Stove and Spirits, which actually has the support of the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay, could open mid-spring. The Boston Licensing Board decides tomorrow on a request from the Lyons Group to transfer a liquor license from Radius on High Street to the new eatery.

Meg Mainzer-Cohen of the Back Bay Association told the board at a hearing today the restaurant would help boost street traffic at that end of Boylston Street.

City Councilor Maureen Feeney, who represents Dorchester, said she liked the idea so much she was willing to speak publicly in favor even though it's not in her district. "This is such an exciting proposal," she said.

Towne would have 300 seats indoors, 80 seats on a patio and three bars.

Restaurant news: Faneuil Hall steak place going belly up, seafood place planned for small downtown street
By adamg - 2/24/10 - 11:40 am
If you've been wanting to try Plaza III at Faneuil Hall, you better hurry. The place is $175,000 in arrears on its rent and the marketplace's owner - itself in bankruptcy - plans to replace it with an Anthem lounge-type restaurant, roughly along the lines of the nearby Houston's.

The Boston Licensing Board will decide tomorrow whether to let the restaurant's current owner transfer its liquor license to Anthem, which hopes to open up fully by May. Attorney Dennis Quilty told the board today Plaza III has had "a very long bad run of it" - downtown Boston just couldn't support so many steak places.

Also tomorrow, the board will vote on a request for a beer and wine license for the Barracuda Tavern, a proposed seafood restaurant at 15 Bosworth St. - the site of the old and infamous Hank's Tavern, near Cafe Marliave. The proposal has the enthusiastic support of city councilors Sal LaMattina, Steve Murphy and Rob Consalvo. "There's three city councilors here looking for a new restaurant," LaMattina told the board.

Oh, upscale restaurant? Of course we're in favor! We love development!

On another note, does anyone hate the idea that there is a limited number of alcohol/liquor licenses to be had? I feel like that would inhibit growth of bars, but I don't really know the details of the situation.

My point was, I'd rather see 20 shots spread over an hour, than 20 shots spread over 15 minutes. The 2:15 rule is silly.

And how is the 20 shots before 1:59 current rule any better?

Because those 20 shots could be spread out over the rest of the time. Whether or not they would be is the problem inherent in the alcohol curfew.

Because those 20 shots could be spread out over the rest of the time. Whether or not they would be is the problem inherent in the alcohol curfew.

The argument is pointless because I dont think a bartender would sell you 20 shots at once.

The real benefit to allowing bars and clubs to remain open longer is to spread out the people leaving.

Back