The New Retail Thread

Winston Flowers, I think, unless there was something after that.

Toys R Us Express has opened in Central Sq., Cambridge, where Pearl Art once was. Looks temporary (hopefully - the signage is a vinyl banner) for the holiday season. Just when I think nothing's shocking, there's a Toys R Us in Central.

Toys R Us Express has opened in Central Sq., Cambridge, where Pearl Art once was. Looks temporary (hopefully - the signage is a vinyl banner) for the holiday season. Just when I think nothing's shocking, there's a Toys R Us in Central.

Yes, it's just for the holidays (and january exchanges) unless they experience amazing sales that warrant more time.

Theyre opening thousands of these express stores around the country for 3 months. Mostly in malls.

"Yard House" a pub style restaurant with 100+ beers, something Boston is lacking, will open in "Fenway Triangle" Spring 2011.

There's a new Converse store opening on Newbury tomorrow. Saw an ad on the wall at Park Street [Under] Station.

"Yard House" a pub style restaurant with 100+ beers, something Boston is lacking, will open in "Fenway Triangle" Spring 2011.

The one in Legacy Place aint bad. Food is decent but the beer list is great. A bartender at Legacy Place told me the one around Fenway would be 4x the size of the one in Dedham. Where could they get 25K+ SF of retail space near Fenway right now?

The one in Legacy Place aint bad. Food is decent but the beer list is great. A bartender at Legacy Place told me the one around Fenway would be 4x the size of the one in Dedham. Where could they get 25K+ SF of retail space near Fenway right now?

Four times the size, or four times the seats ...

He said four times the size and I asked him where they could possibly find the square footage. He said he didn't know, that the management wouldn't tell them. So take what I'm typing with a grain of salt. But he did know they were looking at Fenway 5 months ago and that seems to be confirmed here.

All I can think is that they bought out Copperfields, or some place like that. I hope it's not Copperfileds . . .

He said four times the size and I asked him where they could possibly find the square footage. He said he didn't know, that the management wouldn't tell them. So take what I'm typing with a grain of salt. But he did know they were looking at Fenway 5 months ago and that seems to be confirmed here.

All I can think is that they bought out Copperfields, or some place like that. I hope it's not Copperfileds . . .

They are taking over the former Boston Billiards Club, 126 Brookline Ave.

500 seats.

http://boston.grubstreet.com/2010/07/yard_house_expands_big_in_fenw.html

There's a new Converse store opening on Newbury tomorrow. Saw an ad on the wall at Park Street [Under] Station.

I haven't had time to take a picture yet, but just overnight they've installed the shabbiest, bulkiest, ADA ramp you can imagine - takes up half of the sidewalk. I have no idea why this was necessary. Would it kill a store to locate the entrance a little below the indoor grade and ramp up on the inside?

^ I noticed that too. Unbelievably bad.

Blame the lawyers. Odds are someone saw a potential payday and corporate called in a hail Mary to nip the suit in the bud.

The real lawyers to blame, then, would be the corporate ones who didn't bring this up in time for the company to design a more tasteful ramp.

Unless they did issue such a warning, and Converse are just cheap, lazy bastards.

Blame the architects for the blatant oversight and blame the lawyers whom really could care less about the disabled, but love to profit on disability discrimination suits. You know the same 'do gooder' assholes at cocktail party fundraisers for helping the elderly, that honk and swear at grandma with her walker as she tries to cross the street in front of their Mercedes during rush hour.

Looks like a new Chipotle is going in at the edge of the Financial District - corner of Summer and Lincoln. No idea when it's going to open but exterior signage is up (don't have any pictures yet to contribute).

There is a new grilled cheese kiosk at South Station.

Yay?

I haven't had time to take a picture yet, but just overnight they've installed the shabbiest, bulkiest, ADA ramp you can imagine - takes up half of the sidewalk. I have no idea why this was necessary. Would it kill a store to locate the entrance a little below the indoor grade and ramp up on the inside?

Couple of thoughts on Converse (responding not to just this post)

1. "half the sidewalk" is actually the responsibility of the owner or leasee. It does not encroach on the legal right of way.
2. relocating the sill (in a historic property???) may have been impossible due to cost or regs
3. it absolutely looks like shit. I like the spirit of universal access but this is what we're left with sometimes. Things that look like shit.

How come the Back Bay Neighborhood Association, or whatever they are called, had a tizzy over trash compactors, yet hasn't rioted over something ghastly like this?

How come the Back Bay Neighborhood Association, or whatever they are called, had a tizzy over trash compactors, yet hasn't rioted over something ghastly like this?

They're the same sows that demand ramps so they can jog around pushing their triple-wide stroller with their seven year old teat-sucker playing inside on his/her iPad.

Back