The New Retail Thread

I didn't realize so many Uno's were closing. The only one I knew of was the one in Danvers which I thought was doing great. The one in Revere sucks and should have closed instead. At least there's still one in Kenmore...

I hate seeing that Uno's space vacant. I always looked at this block as the ideal model for a potentially upzoned Harvard Ave north of Comm Ave.

It's too bad the owner of what's now Kelly's didn't take advantage of the vacancy to add 3-4 stories to that property.

Marty?s Liquors is returning to Allston and opening a new branch at 103 North Beacon St., next to the Volvo dealership.

Zocalo (Mexican restaurant) recently moved into the old Styx location off Clarendon. Did anyone ever go to the old Zocalo in Brighton?

I thought Uno's was pretty much going out of business? They closed a bunch in St. Louis as well, I had heard they were in a bit of trouble. Surprisingly, too. It was always my favorite chain restaurant...for what that's worth.

Uno's filed for bankruptcy and closed many, but not all, of their restaurants.

Looks a little fancy. Hope the "Big One with Sauce" hasn't been yuppied off the menu.

Of the three roast beef places in Revere, Kelly's is by far the worst. Pete's Super Beef and Beachmont are worlds better.

Marty?s Liquors is returning to Allston and opening a new branch at 103 North Beacon St., next to the Volvo dealership.

Great news! Marty's was an important part of my personal development in the early 90s. I was really bummed to see it close.

Liquor store plus automobile dealership equals double bonus combo points!

Back Bay - new retail

complete list of new back bay retail:

http://bostonredevelopmentauthoritynews.blogspot.com/2010/07/mayor-menino-bra-welcome-45-new.html

Boston Globe article 7/9/10
http://www.boston.com/business/arti..._bring_retailers_back_to_back_bay_is_working/

Menino says push to bring retailers back to Back Bay is working
By Bonnie Kavoussi
Globe Correspondent / July 9, 2010
Forty-five new businesses in the Back Bay are proof the city?s efforts to lure stores to the tony retail district have been successful, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said yesterday.

Thirty retailers, from the Ibex outdoor clothier to the women?s store Forever 21, have opened in the Back Bay since last July, when the mayor hosted a walking tour for businesses. And 15 more businesses, including restaurants and stores, have signed leases or are under construction, from a pet supply shop to a new location for the Boloco burrito chain.

The mayor said all those new enterprises have created about 500 jobs.

?People are bringing business here,?? Menino said yesterday after he spoke to a group of about 60 retail owners, landlords, and brokers in the Back Bay at Louis Boston?s vacant storefront.

The mayor has been trying to entice businesses to the shopping district, while promising capital improvements on Newbury Street, including replacing all trash barrels and 171 street lamps, from Arlington Street to Massachusetts Avenue.

The lamp project, which starts late next month, will cost about $300,000, said Katie Ward, a spokeswoman for Menino.

The mayor has also said he would like to close Newbury Street to cars for a couple of days this summer.

Menino plans to take about 75 New England retail owners, brokers, and landlords on a tour of Downtown Crossing, the Greenway, and the South Boston Waterfront on Tuesday ? before the International Conference of Shopping Centers? New England Idea Exchange meeting ? said Jessica Shumaker, a spokeswoman for the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

But the tour will bypass the Back Bay because city officials view their initiative there as successful, she said.

?I think it?s very important that the mayor continues to set this pace and this tone that Boston is business-friendly,?? said the president of the City Council, Michael P. Ross, who represents the Back Bay.

Most of the new businesses in the neighborhood will be located on Newbury Street, with others opening on Massachusetts Avenue and on Boylston and Dartmouth streets.

The openings have boosted Newbury Street?s occupancy rate to 94.7 percent ? a significant increase from about 80 percent in the beginning of 2009, said Michael Jammen, principal at Meritage Real Estate Group.

?Quite a few retailers tell me business is doing really well,?? said Tom Brennan, vice president of C. Talanian Realty Co., which owns and manages about 30 properties on Newbury Street.

Retailers said they are seeing more customers in the Back Bay but still face challenges.

?Newbury Street was especially difficult in 2009, but since mid-January, it?s like someone turned a bunch of light switches on,?? said John Pepper, chief executive of Boloco, which will open a new restaurant at 569 Boylston St. in October.

Kathy Palmer, who will soon open The Fish and Bone, an ?urban pet supplies?? store, at 217 Newbury St., said she is optimistic about opening up in the Back Bay. ?I was just blown away by the number of people that walk up and down Newbury Street,?? she said.

Bonnie Kavoussi can be reached at bkavoussi@globe.com.

Re: Back Bay - new retail

Menino plans to take about 75 New England retail owners, brokers, and landlords on a tour of Downtown Crossing, the Greenway, and the South Boston Waterfront on Tuesday

Punks and pits, empty parks, and parking lots. At least I hope the weather's nice for them...

Things are really bad when the mayor is championing the opening of new stores in the region's most lucrative retail neighborhood.

Things are really bad when the mayor is championing the opening of new stores in the region's most lucrative retail neighborhood.

94.7 percent occupancy is a bad thing? Weren't people on this forum moaning and bitching recently about all the vacancies on Newbury St.

The point is that this should be one sector of the city economy in which the mayor doesn't have to personally intervene as if it's in crisis mode. The Back Bay retail situation should not be treated like Filene's. It reeks of desperation.

Either the Back Bay vacancies actually required the mayor's personal appeal to be filled, in which case the city is in more serious trouble than many believe, or he's making it look like it is. Either situation is terrible.

The point is that this should be one sector of the city economy in which the mayor doesn't have to personally intervene as if it's in crisis mode. The Back Bay retail situation should not be treated like Filene's. It reeks of desperation.

Either the Back Bay vacancies actually required the mayor's personal appeal to be filled, in which case the city is in more serious trouble than many believe, or he's making it look like it is. Either situation is terrible.

It's really not that uncommon for a mayor to do this, and if his push to bring retailers to the Back Bay is working, I say keep it up.

I don't see the problem here. Obviously it is desirable to fill empty storefronts on Newbury Street, and it doesn't sound like much tax money was spent to do this. Let's hope this success can be repeated downtown.

(See also: Roslindale Village Main Streets, Fields Corner Main Streets, East Somerville Main Streets, Union Square [Somerville] Main Streets, etc.)

The mayor gets paid to spend his time on things the city needs to get done. There are currently quite a lot of things that includes. The Back Bay is one place where the market can take care of itself, and where government intervention hasn't been necessary to prop up business in the past. Ipso facto, it's a waste of tax money (Menino's salary, at the very least) AND a tacit admission of market failure.

And honestly, the Main Streets program is misguided. Local retailers don't need loans to fund uniform city-approved gold leaf signage so that Bowdoin-Geneva looks more like a Hyannis strip mall. They need larger-picture conditions for profitability, like lower crime, better transit, and more residents. The best thing Menino could do for city businesses is increase housing and residential density citywide.

I don't know much about Bowdoin-Geneva, but people I know in Roslindale and Somerville are pretty happy with what Main Streets have done for their commercial districts. Here's a local view: Breathing new life into Somerville's squares

Sometimes if you want to attract more residents, you need to improve the commercial districts first.

Back