The New Retail Thread

3. Why did Foodie's get a loan from the government, and why was the mayor needed to attend such an announcement? Is this a bigger deal than I thought?
I too am curious about this. Perhaps the construction is to take place on a brown field or there is some other infrastructure upgrade required. That's what happened in Roslindale. The Village Market was built with help from the city regarding site preparation (due to contamination). Once built, the Market became an anchor store for all of Roslindale Village which has flourished ever since. If Foodies is to be built on a similar sight, it may well be the foundation of larger economic development. If so, that would justify the government funding.

It's a crappy building that's been vacant forever. That said, it's on Broadway and 3 blocks from the Red Line so I doubt that subsidies were required to get something built there. I agree with Kennedy and HenryAlan - something seems fishy.

Only building in the neighborhood with any character to speak of.

This is a different market than the one the Pappases proposed on W Broadway?

Well, it's the only one in the 360 degree street view I looked at with character, anyhow. I'm in town now, I'll have to check the area out at some point.

I would say they do given the amount of wealth in Boston and the Metro area. And look at the sheer number of them, and how long they have been around.

Boston never struck me as a high-fashion town. Of course, I think it's slowly getting better in that regards. I've read one of the big drawbacks is the lack of good-size space in good locations that keep the high-end brands shopping around.

The old Marty's space in Allston is now a Kelly's:

4726310512_e21fabcaa4_b.jpg

A much welcomed addition to the Allston area. I love Kelly's and this place is going to be open late.

Looks a little fancy. Hope the "Big One with Sauce" hasn't been yuppied off the menu.

When did it open? Never heard of it until I saw the new take-home menus last week and saw Allston listed on the inside flap.

Lame. DR needs to house a design store, not a clothing and home trinkets store.

EDIT: Although, I guess Anthropologie is more in line with the whole textiles/Marimekko thing.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much willing to welcome anything to fill up that abandoned space...

Across the way from Kelly's, Pizzeria Uno has been gone for months:

4747020221_83159949f5_b.jpg

Not completely related, but they painted bike lanes, they painted the yellow center line, and they couldnt be bothered to touch up the crosswalk?

Not completely related, but they painted bike lanes, they painted the yellow center line, and they couldnt be bothered to touch up the crosswalk?

The pedestrian seems to be at the bottom of the totem pole in Boston these days.

I hate seeing that Uno's space vacant. I always looked at this block as the ideal model for a potentially upzoned Harvard Ave north of Comm Ave.

Uno's in Porter Square is also prominently vacant. At least the Harvard Square one is still going strong.

I read a Margaritas might go in at the uno's in Allston. I think the Kelly's is a nice addition to the area. You can finally get a roast beef in this part of town now.

Back