The New Retail Thread

Bella-Drews authentic southwestern at 26 provence st. opens next week.

http://belladrewcafe.com/

If they start One Broomfield this street then the existing retail will hopefully relocate somewhere in downtown crossing

Looks interesting ^. Will def. check it out. Does the One Bromfield project include the Sam Lagrassa building as well?

There's been a 15-foot inflatable scab-covered rat and a bunch of sullen-looking union protesters in front of this place for past several months. A lot of people actually thought it was part of a promotion for this place.

The inflatable rat is the union way of saying, "DADDY PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!".

I'm sure the guys standing around with signs all day not getting paid aren't thinking about being charged dues for the privilege of paying their reps bloated salaries. If they were, they'd be looking for work on their own instead of depending on their union pimps.

Geez, the unions are out in full force. I saw them protesting outside Tufts Medical Center and WGBH.

With the whole Wisconsin thing I'm sure all unions are trying to make some noise and buck up the ranks.

Really? Really??

Cupcake wars: Another Boston cupcake bakery set to open
Boston Business Journal - by Lisa van der Pool

Cakeology is set to open in July in ground floor retail space at tony condo tower 45 Province (above). It's the second cupcake store to open on School Street in downtown Boston in a matter of weeks, after Sweet opened a new location there, in June.

Cupcake purveyor Cakeology has signed a lease agreement to open its first retail outlet at 45 Province in downtown Boston, the building said on Monday.

Boston-baed Cakeology sells gourmet cupcakes as well as other types of baked goods. Its new location, on the School Street side of the luxury condominium building 45 Province, appears to be its first retail address. The company currently offers cupcakes, cakes and wedding cakes for delivery.

It will be the second cupcakery to open on School street in a matter of weeks. Boston-based Sweet Cupcakes opened its fourth location, also on School Street, earlier this month.

The new Cakeology store is set to open in July.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2011/06/27/cupcake-wars-another-boston-cupcake.html?ana=twt

It wouln't surprise me if they got a great deal on rent.

I think it's also of note to mention that a good chunk of CambridgeSide is new. Bathrooms, modernized elevators, newer, upscale stores galore including a flagship Victoria's Secret (expanded Express and A|X being constructed now).

A|X will be taking Express' old store on Level 2 and Express will be moving upstairs to the old gigantic New York & Company and Lane Bryant space on Level 3, directly above.

230726_1698075971857_1236600108_31455928_6381515_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's also of note to mention that a good chunk of CambridgeSide is new. Bathrooms, modernized elevators, newer, upscale stores galore including a flagship Victoria's Secret (expanded Express and A|X being constructed now).

A|X will be taking Express' old store on Level 2 and Express will be moving upstairs to the old gigantic New York & Company and Lane Bryant space on Level 3, directly above.

Maybe things will turn around after Lechmere is redeveloped, but it's got a reputation as a terrible dump in the meanwhile.

Maybe things will turn around after Lechmere is redeveloped, but it's got a reputation as a terrible dump in the meanwhile.
They've also stopped playing Top 40 music over the sound system and instead are playing classical music, like South Shore Plaza.

CambridgeSide is a dump, but it's a pretty dump.

Not exactly on topic but the Galleria's outdoor area on the water is an underutilized bit of genius. Fountain, grass, trees, benches, basin, ferries, etc.

It is amazing access point for paddlers to get into the Charles. Plus 24/7 touch-and-go for powerboats. This is one incredibly well-maintained and comfortable public space.

Not exactly on topic but the Galleria's outdoor area on the water is an underutilized bit of genius. Fountain, grass, trees, benches, basin, ferries, etc.

It is amazing access point for paddlers to get into the Charles. Plus 24/7 touch-and-go for powerboats. This is one incredibly well-maintained and comfortable public space.

Yeah, CambridgeSide's siting and relationship to the canal is brilliant. I used to always spend my breaks outside by the fountain when the weather was nice. Arrowstreet hit the nail directly on the head with this design. As I've stated in previous threads, I'm a big fan of the Galleria as an architectural whole.

I wouldn't even really call it underutilized. Maybe slightly underappreciated, but it's used heavily in the spring, summer, and beginning of fall. That opportunity to eat outside that so many malls lack is really taken advantage of at CambridgeSide by locals, office workers, tourists, and CSide employees alike.

Agreed - have worked next door for years. For better or for worse, people think its a dump because of the style and status of its patrons, not because of the building or its stores.

The yuppie influx to Kendall and - inshallah - North Point might change this, but only gradually

The first street facade is a bit of a catastrophe too, or course

Agreed - have worked next door for years. For better or for worse, people think its a dump because of the style and status of its patrons, not because of the building or its stores.

The yuppie influx to Kendall and - inshallah - North Point might change this, but only gradually

The first street facade is a bit of a catastrophe too, of course

The First St facade is unfortunate, but necessary in order to keep the ends of the mall datum open to the public (the datum ends being the Lechmere Canal and CambridgeSide Place). The Galleria has this brilliant linear clarity to it that many suburban malls lack (with pathways that turn off at right angles). It's unbelievable how the (seemingly small) mall actually has 4 anchors and 1,000,000sf GLA. The parking garages had to go somewhere (they could only go down 3 floors for the Lower Parking levels) and the First St. facade was the only logical place where the Upper Parking could go.

But yes, the mall does turn its back on First St and is almost rejecting its neighborhood (which in this area of Cambridge kind of makes sense) by creating its own street (CambridgeSide Place). I've had a good number of friends encounter crime on First St. after leaving the mall.

Back