The New Retail Thread

The restaurants work. They should just convert the upper levels into offices. They've got 4 elevators at their disposal, so they could run 2 or 3 express to the office levels and leave one/2 for the restaurant floors. V, A, and B can be restaurant parking and C and D can be office parking.

I am not sure there is enough demand for office space in that part of Newton. I'm thinking they go with apartments and keep the restaurants.

Maybe the days of city streets lined with retailers are over.

Urban planners just 20 years ago could not have predicted the rise of Amazon et al. and the speed and reliability of ground shipping.

Couple things at Church Park (Mass Ave at CSC):

Sebastians is replacing ABP
CVS wasted no time occupying the former Blockbuster, knocking down the wall and putting merchandise and self-checkouts there.

All of their existing locations are open Monday through Friday only, closing at 4 pm (6 pm in Kendall Square). If they bring the same operating model to this neighborhood full of students and symphony-goers, it will be a poor replacement for Au Bon Pain.

From Banker & Tradesman:

After closing two local restaurants and about 14 others around the country as a result of a bankruptcy reorganization, Uno Restaurant Holdings is opening a new eatery on Summer Street in Boston, but it's not a concept that the company is known for - yet.

It will be called "Uno Due Go".

This is the building across the street from the 7-Eleven.
http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news146011.html

From Banker & Tradesman:

After closing two local restaurants and about 14 others around the country as a result of a bankruptcy reorganization, Uno Restaurant Holdings is opening a new eatery on Summer Street in Boston, but it's not a concept that the company is known for - yet.

It will be called "Uno Due Go".

This is the building across the street from the 7-Eleven.
http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news146011.html

They'll be known for that name for about 3 weeks. It's ridiculous.

Love to have one in Lexington Center

All we have now are banks, realestate offices, a CVS, and coffe shops / restaurants plus one or two eye glass stores and a few others that survived from the retail heyday in the 1980s

All the rest that were there (bookstores, shoes, jewlry, clothes) are nearly gone -- a new bank branch opens every other week

So Shreve's left their original building for a bigger lease space that their business couldn't support and is now going to pay a premium for a lease even smaller than their original building.

WHY NOT MOVE BACK TO THE ORIGINAL LOCATION!

A big part of their business was the long and storied past with their unique building. The current crop of morons running the place into the group don't seem to understand that.

Shreve, Crump, & Lowe in the Shreve, Crump, & Lowe Building? Insanity!

The story I heard was that Shreve Crump & Low never wanted to leave the old building in the first place. A retail space on the corner of Arlington & Boylston does not sit unoccupied for 5 years unless the landlord wants it to.

Last edited:
A new shared-services office space has opened at 30 Newbury Street, 3rd floor. It's called Oficio.

You can pay for a one-day, three-day, week-long, or monthly pass that gives you access to the space. There's wi-fi, printers, copiers, fax machines, secretary, conference rooms, bathrooms, and private phone booths.

A one-day pass is $29. A $99 membership gives you four day passes, a mailing address, and use of conference room for an hour.

Top membership costs $399 per month, has 20 day passes (in same month), 4 conference room hours, mailing address, and 150 b/w copies.

I'm there now and it's pretty good. If you're a small business person or consultant, it's probably worth it if you work out of Starbucks.

http://www.myoficio.com/

A new shared-services office space has opened at 30 Newbury Street, 3rd floor. It's called Oficio.

You can pay for a one-day, three-day, week-long, or monthly pass that gives you access to the space. There's wi-fi, printers, copiers, fax machines, secretary, conference rooms, bathrooms, and private phone booths.

A one-day pass is $29. A $99 membership gives you four day passes, a mailing address, and use of conference room for an hour.

Top membership costs $399 per month, has 20 day passes (in same month), 4 conference room hours, mailing address, and 150 b/w copies.

I'm there now and it's pretty good. If you're a small business person or consultant, it's probably worth it if you work out of Starbucks.

^^This is one of the coolest business ideas I've ever seen! Thanks for sharing it!

try Regus

www.regus.com

they have some similar plans as well as more traditional office condos

from their website

e.g. Massachusetts, Boston – Prudential Tower **Opening Soon**

From US$129

Mailbox Plus
Telephone Answering
Virtual Office
Virtual Office Plus

800 Boylston Street
16th Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02199
United States

The big bonus is that if you travel a lot -- your office privelages can be used in any of their hundreds of places worldwide

The perfect business environment, wherever you are:

No more trying to do business in airport lounges and hotel rooms. With a Regus businessworld Platinum or Platinumplus membership, you can check emails, print reports, hold meetings and enjoy the benefits of 10 days per month or unlimited use of a private office wherever business takes you.

Unlimited walk-in access to 1100 business lounges and cafés worldwide
Use of your own private office for 10 days per month with Platinum or unlimited with Platinumplus
Complimentary internet access and refreshments on every visit
Discounts on meeting rooms and videoconferencing
Monthly members’ newsletter and special offers

Inquire Now

Download
product
information

Unlimited access: From just $15 per day

There are a bunch of these around South Station currently. I think these would do well in residential neighborhoods as well where young creatives live - Fenway, South End, Coolidge Corner and Allston come to mind.

EDIT: Davis and Harvard too, of course. My mind was stuck on the right bank.

Last edited:
Some Crepe place is going in the vacated spot next to One Beacon on Tremont. Supposed to be temporary, but if successful will find a permanent location.

There are a bunch of these around South Station currently. I think these would do well in residential neighborhoods as well where young creatives live - Fenway, South End, Coolidge Corner and Allston come to mind.

EDIT: Davis and Harvard too, of course. My mind was stuck on the right bank.

What about the Innovation District and the mother of all places for innovation Kendall/Cambridge Center

Back