The New Retail Thread

I dunno. I agree with pellham that the Newsstand was a big part Harvard Sq's identity ('brand' in market-speak). I'm not sure a furniture store would give the same vibe. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that would.

The furniture store goes in the D/R Building.

The Shake Shack replaces the newsstand.

Pity about the newsstand. It was so cosmopolitan.

I wonder if this might finally be a location/building where somebody could make the concept of an internet kiosk cafe a profitable reality.

$5k/month in rent makes that tough - but if I consider the property as a branding opportunity I can see a new Apple retail concept going in there (too small for a traditional Apple store), or an opportunity for Microsoft, HP, etc.

These firms could use the property as a branding opportunity and inject some intellectual life into this unique little patch of the earth. Some kind of "Apple Media Cafe" would enable people to use Apple computer products to get information, something retaily - like a vending machine style Youtube clips to DVD maker, a place to upload homework, print pictures, etc... If the concept was further baked, there's a chance something like this would be mobbed in the middle of Harvard Square. Done right, it could even be open all hours.

It could be kind of a techie-meets-intellectual-meets-consumer-meets-tourist concept all wrapped up in a some funky old bus station right in the heart of Harvard Square.

Not sure it could be profitable though - that's for smarter people than me to decide.

pelham, thats an awesome idea. but it would almost undoubtably need to be combined with a starbucks

Just imagine: THE APPLE STORE!
They could sell all apple products... and I'm not talking computers-and-ipods Apple. I'm talkin' the stuff that grew out of the Earth Apples.

- Green Apples
- Red Apples
- Apple Juice
- Apple Sauce
- Apple Pie
- Apple Crisp
- Caramel Apples
- Apple Cider
- Apple Chips

APPLES! APPLES! APPLES!

I could see it becoming a hit instantly!

There's a new trend "environmental branding" where you use the property as an ad - that could save this property:

When you emerge from the Harvard Square T Station, there is right now a ten-foot high, cylindrical drum with pay phones, wrapped in a Budweiser ad.

Let's estimate that Budweiser pays $1,000/month for that ad (seems reasonable given foot/car traffic)

Then, let's say the Out of Town News building can be re-imagined full of window-long displays for this Microsoft Media Lounge... each selling the different media products in Microsoft's line-up. In addition to the window displays, sidewalk sandwich boards, flags, decor, etc - you also have the well lit Microsoft signs on all four sides of the property - not to mention the publicity value of the store.

In essence, it is not a $5,000/month rent because you can amortize the "environmental branding" aspect of the property given its high visibility. This is how Times Square stores justify their rents.

You could argue if that one Harvard Square Bud ad is worth $1k, then this entire central store-as-ad is worth $3k/month even if you closed it and left it there as just an advertisement.

Now, the rent is cut from $5k to $2k/month. Many businesses could live there for $2k/month. That's why I view this as more of a branding opportunity for a corporation than a real business - especially considering there isn't plumbing.

Architectural purists are vomiting right now, but for some reason Boston's Citgo sign is "beloved" - so go figure.

There used to be neon high up on the southeast corner of the Square, where Boylston comes in. It made me think of the place as a mini-Times Square. They should allow neon in Harvard Square.

I think almost everyone likes neon secretly; folks just feel they ought to be against it.

Something they got from their grade school teachers?

Like thinking tall buildings are bad?

Where does this crap come from?

Just imagine: THE APPLE STORE!
They could sell all apple products... and I'm not talking computers-and-ipods Apple. I'm talkin' the stuff that grew out of the Earth Apples.

- Green Apples
- Red Apples
- Apple Juice
- Apple Sauce
- Apple Pie
- Apple Crisp
- Caramel Apples
- Apple Cider
- Apple Chips

APPLES! APPLES! APPLES!

I could see it becoming a hit instantly!
The Economy keeps on doing what it's doing, and there'll be someone selling apples on every street corner.

I think almost everyone likes neon secretly; folks just feel they ought to be against it.

A little off topic, but this occurred to me, too, when I saw the completed Central Square Theater. The only way you'd know what it is from the street are the two small marquee poster cases on the wall. I like that it's set back...but they really need a flashy neon sign (a la the ART's Zero Arrow) for visibility's sake, and to make the place more lively.

I think some the distaste for neon traces back to the fact that it was the back lit plastic signage of its day. Every flea-bit motel, pawn shop and dive bar had a neon sign.

Sure, we wax nostalgic about that look now, but for a long time it was considered blight.

At least bring back the dive bars --and extend them neon carte blanche.

(That way we'll know them when we see them.)

Cool neon signs are too expensive for a dive bar nowadays. You'll have to settle for a cheap back lit plastic sign with a Budweiser logo on it. But don't worry, in fifty years or so those will be cool too.

You'll have to settle for a cheap back lit plastic sign with a Budweiser logo on it. But don't worry, in fifty years or so those will be cool too.
LOL, you're right. What do you suppose will replace them?

Give how each successive generation of cheap signing seems to get less and less creative and interesting, I'm going to guess a piece of cardboard with the name written in marker.

Neon isn't bad if it's done right...Budweiser signs are a good example of neon done wrong. Marquee theatre signs are examples of it done right. Any sign can use neon and be cool, it has less to do with the neon than the graphic design.

Actually, that would be uber-creative.

They'd have to create a new one each time it rained.

Where I live, Mexican businesses hand paint their signs directly on the siding or stucco of their building. Colorful, picturesque, but definitely crude.

Do Microsoft Media Lounges even exist or is it purely hypothetical. People who are architectural purists are not real architects, because there is no place for design like that unless you build a city from scratch in the Great Plains.

So are back lit plastic signs the nadir of signage? We can only hope.

Back