The New Retail Thread

Re: 1330 Boylston Street

Anna's/Boca's advertise themselves as "San Francisco Style" because it's the truth. The burrito as most Bostonians know it came out of the Mission. And yes, the owners are Japanese-Americans, but they came to Brookline from the Bay Area with the specific Mission style burrito in mind.

Re: 1330 Boylston Street

Okay.
I'll be the judge of this. ;)
Who's taking me on a taqueria crawl, Boston-style?

Then we can start a food critique section. Pft!

Seriously, though, when I came out west to live, I couldn't go back to anything I ate in the Northeast that billed itself as 'authentic' Mexican food or a taqueria, of any style. It's been a few decades since I've sampled Boston-style... whatever. (Dang!) However, I will take some of your word(s) for it and check a few of these out next time I'm there, and report back.

Also, Taco Bell and the like are often cheek to jowl to the 'authentic' mom and pops, even out this way, in the Mission, too. The chains do well enough to pretend to remain in business. Still, I don't get it.

On topic--it's the ballpark and its environs. You know the model well enough to predict what will be wanted/needed/expected here. Most have already expressed the popular choices previously. *sigh* Who knows what the present economics will dictate, as well. Just look at AT&T Park's commercial and dining offerings--not too adventurous, not chains, either. Variations on the common theme. (Sushi inside The Park, notwithstanding.)

It's not lost, Kennedy; they have another Harvard Square store on Mass Ave.

Ben Thompson's Design Research used to take maximum advantage of this building's showcase configuration to do vast, coordinated, multi-story displays that were breathtakingly dramatic and tasteful. Being a chain run from Chicago, Crate and Barrel couldn't be bothered with all the window dressing this involved. Maybe the new tenant will take the trouble; the landlord certainly intends for it to be so.

I'll bite. Assuming that no one is going to open a new local-based design store anytime soon. What chain would you like to see here? Room & Board? Blu Dot? DWR? CB2? West Elm?They all seem to be around the same caliber of C&B (perhaps a small step above). Those are just the ones I know off the top of my head. I'm sure there are hundreds of smaller and more exclusive shops that could fill the space. What would your pick be?

Boston Globe - November 20, 2008
Plan to shutter newsstand pierces heart of Harvard Sq.

By Michael Levenson, Globe Staff | November 20, 2008

CAMBRIDGE - John Kenneth Galbraith bought a copy of Le Monde there every day. Julia Child searched for obscure Italian and German cooking magazines, and Robert Frost once stopped by - it actually was a snowy evening - to get directions to a reading. Over the years, pretty much anyone looking for news from far and near, be they eminent professors or the masses rushing to work on the Red Line, found it at Out of Town News.

But the landmark shop, an axis at the center of Harvard Square's bustle, may be about to go away.

The owner, now a chain vendor, has notified Cambridge officials that it does not plan to renew its lease Jan. 31, saying the public appetite for printed news has all but vanished.

"It is not the profitable location for us that it once was," said Laura Samuels, spokeswoman for the owner, Hudson News of East Rutherford, N.J.

The possible demise caused shock and dismay yesterday in Harvard Square, where shoppers took it as a wrenching sign of a rapidly changing world, where print news is dying and chain stores have taken over, even in a square once celebrated for its eclectic diversity. To many, Out of Town News had seemed an unmovable part of the Harvard Square experience, as likely to disappear as Harvard University's wrought iron gates across the street.

Worried city officials were scrambling to find another news dealer and planning to reduce the $5,000-a-month lease substantially in hopes of enticing bidders. "There are traditions that belong in Harvard Square," said Robert W. Healy, the city manager. "That's one of them."

But he acknowledged the quest could be fruitless, given the dwindling market for print news, and some city officials and business leaders have already proposed alternatives they say would live up to Cambridge ideals, like a depot for bicycle sharing, or a late-night caf?.

"It could be that we're chasing moonbeams," Healy said of the search for a news vendor, "and we'll have to look at our re-use options."

But such ideas are anathema to those who made Out of Town News part of their daily routines, or who remembered the shop's heyday, when it sold more than 200 newspapers from across the country and the world, hawking everything from Der Spiegel and Corriere della Serra to the Montgomery Advertiser.

Founded in 1955 by Sheldon Cohen, who started out hustling newspapers in the subway with his father, Out of Town News moved in 1984 to its current home, a handmade brick and limestone shelter with vaulted wood ceilings that was built in 1928 as an entrance to the subway. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places and, according to the city, is an "internationally recognized symbol of Harvard Square."

Learning from a reporter yesterday of Hudson's plan to vacate the location, Cohen wept and recounted the years he spent running the business, arriving at 4 a.m. each day, "freezing my you-know-what off" in the winter.

"It hurts; it really hurts," he said. "When it's in your blood, to see something destroyed like this, it breaks your heart."

Cohen's brother, Fred, who worked at the shop from 1955 to 2000, spoke of it like a lost loved one.

"I knew at some point this day was going to come," he said. "But I wasn't prepared this soon. I thought it had a few more years in existence. Apparently not."

Sheldon Cohen, now 77, sold the kiosk in 1994 to Hudson News, which operates newsstands in 70 airports and transit terminals across the United States and Canada. The city has since installed a commemorative plaque proclaiming the brick median where the shop sits "Sheldon Cohen Island."

Like the Cohens, people browsing the aisles yesterday took the news hard.

"That's the first bad news I've heard since the election," said Gretchen O'Connor, who has been coming to the shop since the 1960s when her husband, John, was a Harvard graduate student. "I don't even like magazines, and I love coming here."

"It represents the intellectual atmosphere of the city," said Larry Cabot, a 73-year-old Cambridge native who rode his bicycle to the kiosk window for a newspaper yesterday. "And every time you do something to take that away, it's too bad."

Andrew Udden, who has been coming for 25 years to buy the Times Literary Supplement, said Harvard Square would never be the same. "I just can't imagine it without this," he said.

Michael Levenson can be reached at mlevenson@globe.com.

I was going to throw IKEA in as the joke option. I never understood the love for that place. It's Sauder furniture for the college crowd. Meh.

Yeah, but they've got the bucks to stay in business. And they're perfect for college budgets --which D/R never was.

Ikea's already going in over by the old Good Times. Plus, their huge big box stores are waaaayy too big for that space.

As for West Elm, I actually have a couch and a kitchen table from them, so I'm a backer. However, they already have a store/showroom in the Trinity Building. I don't know if they're ready to go the Starbucks route (store on every corner) just yet.

I think Room & Board and CB2 are the only two on my list that don't have Boston locations. I'd love to see a R&B showroom.

Knoll has small showroom in Downtown. Maybe a Cambridge location?

BTW: Losing Out of Town news is a huge blow for the area, but they are the equivalent of a premier buggy whip showroom of the 19th century.

Out of Town News always seems so empty when I'm there. Just a month ago I asked a friend why that hasn't been turned into some kind of funky cafe. I try not to lament the past, I welcome the future. Something great could go in that space to re-invigorate the entire Square. Or... we'll get a T Mobile store.

One of the articles I read said that the Out of Town News building has no plumbing, which rules out a cafe.

I could be wrong, but I'd have to imagine it would somehow be possible to add plumbing to the building. It may involve digging up the streets a bit, but it should be doable.

Is this a building or a decoration?

If it's a building earning money for the City of Cambridge to spend on their schools, then put in a Taco Bell. It'll be mobbed, with lines and people spilling out all over the place.

If it's a decoration, and the City of Cambridge doesn't need any money, put in a quaint little book store that doubles as an organic tea house. It'll be empty, but it'll be a great decoration that will help the Square perpetuate its brand.

The problem is that it is both and needs to serve both functions. Good luck figuring out how to do that.

^ Agreed Stat - most of my posts are just philosophical musings, not actual arguments that I would "own" in person.

If they can figure out how to get plumbing in there, this is a slam dunk coffee/sandwiches cafe.

Just please, not a bank/ATM depot or a cell phone store.

Just please, not a bank/ATM depot or a cell phone store.

I absolutely concur. The other day I walked by the old former Tower Records nearby, and what do you know, it's a Verizon store, blech. But in better news, the former Sprint store over at Brattle and Church is now a decent convenience store/salad-lunch bar.

Back