The New Retail Thread

Borders is a more useful store to have on Boylston than any of the suggested replacements that you named. Boston is supposed to be a cultural and intellectual capital, remember? Back Bay used to have scads of bookstores.

Ron,

My position in regards to better tenants for the Newbry is simply based on the flair of the Back Bay retail segment and the idea of Boylston being re-invented to be some grand, international avenue. I'm also basing this on the original plan for the building and its original targeted calibur of tenants. I understand Boston's cultural and intellectual flair which is great, but there is an entire city for this type of retail, not for the type I mentioned. Borders could've been great in the matress/furniture store space on the cnr of Newbury and Mass Ave. which has a few levels, cool space, and better location in my opinion; closer to the bulk of the schools and students as well:

Berklee
Bay State
Emerson
Northeastern
BU

I still think it would be better for clothing retail... Thats just my personal opinion. Hopefully I haven't come across as an activist for some system of installation and consumption of luxury goods. As for intellectual sustenance, the library is a decent size as is Barnes and Noble about a solid 4 blocks away. I'm sure its clear enough that intellect is important to me, no? There is just a place for everything as I would not suggest a Gucci store in place of a book store in an area where the likes of the academic industry should reign supreme (i.e. Comm. Ave across from BU), although a medley is cool. I think my position is fair.

ps. I love bookstores!

Last edited:
Does Boylston have any retail space for the brands that are looking for space? It does seem like Boston is starting to shed it's "old-money" ways when it comes to the upscale/high-end stuff such as clothes, restaurants, recreation and entertainment, ect.

Well, that has been the topic of discussion in high-end retail. Boylston is the new target with the Mandarin at one end with the likes of Gucci and the FourSeasons with Hermes and others... Vidal Sassoon is opening a new salon across from the Tannery and im sure the rennovations to facades and buildings will begin in the next couple years to house the chic. I like to think of the new duo as Madison and 5th; running parallel and featuring all of the citys best high-end retail in the city's "it" part of town; the center near the park and posh hotels.

Boston can be soooo stiff that its funny, all these tight folks walking around with a big stick lodged... Its nice to see predictions made in high school finally make it to reality.

They do. In the Newbry. Opened about two years ago with a Seattle's best Cafe on the second floor. Nice place, a lot better than the Barnes and Noble in the Pru.

Sigh, Ron is right, the Back Bay is a bookbrowser's wasteland these days - even Downtown Crossing has it beat. At least the Trident is still around, although I desperately miss Avenue Victor Hugo.

Sigh, Ron is right, the Back Bay is a bookbrowser's wasteland these days.

well...

;)

boston_public_library2.jpg

Yes, the BPL has a cafe, though it isn't open all hours that the library is.

(What is the building sticking out over it -- the Copley Square Hotel on Huntington?)

Trinity Place condos, circa 2002ish I think.

the BPL is a really beautiful building that i never really appreciated before seeing that picture for some reason...

I thought that was the Marriott? They both look the same...idk.

Westin is the hotel closer to Copley Square; Marriott is further up Huntington. The building over the top of the BPL in the photo is Trinity Place.

Re: 1330 Boylston Street

I'd rather see a Qdoba or a Chipotle. In a first floor storefront.

Really? Rather than one of the many decent local burrito chains (Anna's, Felipe's, BoLoCo)?

What's the deal with 24hr activity in Boston...I mean, come one we pride ourselves as a college town, and the latest anything is open is 2am?

Well...in Harvard Square you can go to iHop til 4am...and there's a CVS and gourmet grocery store open all night...but yeah, your point is well taken. Chalk it up to latent Puritanism.

And does anyone know what the restrictions are/what options are available 24hrs in Manhattan?

I think there may be some pro forma permitting involved, but, other than that, none (until you start getting noise complaints, that is).

There are very few places open 24-hours a day in mid-town Manhattan; you'd be very very surprised.

^ That's because few people actually live in Midtown. When I lived in Manhattan, my neighborhood had two 24 hour supermarkets, a 24 hour diner, two 24 hour pharmacies, and several bars that didn't close until 4. And, of course, the subway was always running too...so you could actually get to anywhere else that was open later.

Boston would be dramatically improved if the bars and the T remained open just a couple hours later. I have not been to a party here that did not substantially clear out at 12:30.

Ugh... this is replacing the old Costello's Liquors space. And not that the picture captures it, but the signs clash horribly with the 1890s Queen Anne architecture above.

img1583ug5.jpg

Back