The New Retail Thread

IMG_6559.jpg

Chipotle at triology opens Novemebr 14.

A few questions:

1) Is the new Gucci boutique going to carry everything in new Mandarin space? I know Gucci has a 6,750-square-foot space, Frette at 2,776-square-feet in space, Lululemon at 2,800-square-feet, and salon Mizu has 3,000-square-feet. That's 15,326 square feet taken. With Prada out, doesn't the hotel has 14,674 square feet in retail space left? I'm guessing a lot of high-end retailers would have to be interested in it?

2) When will the Prada space open? Will it still be an epi-center?

3) Any other luxury brands close to signing any leases or opening? I know that the Louis Boston store is garnering a lot of interest. If an existing label in Boston already takes it over, I'm guessing it will open a prime retail space for other brands.

Oakley,

The new Gucci boutique will carry the same assortment as the current Copley location. The space may be slightly different in size, however only back of house will feel the sq ft changes. The store itself will be far different, showcasing the new look of Gucci, if you're familiar with the 5th Ave flagship in Manhattan which is unbelievable. The store will feature several rooms dividing the collections.

Initially, Badgley Mischka, Fendi, Judith Ripka, Balenciaga, and a few others were either in talks about the available spaces or trying to secure leases. Some have opted for other available spaces said to be on Boylston and Newbury. Cartier was one who didnt acquire a desired space.

Prada is rumored to have acquired the garage space on the 1st block of Newbury where they will open an epi-ceter around 2010.

Hugo Boss wants to expand and bring in womens and additional mens lines into one large store, but is facing a bit of difficulty with their additional lease, the Orange store on the second level of the mall now.

Louis Boston has been rumored to be in a bit of trouble for a few years now. My view is that the Louis brand is riding on a high horse of the past and never chose to update apperancein regards to merchandising, turn up the creativity to compete with new entries in the city and surrounding area, and create a new attitude more attractive to potential customers. Never a great experience going into that store and the merchandise isnt as great as they think, lol. They are supposedly interested in a hanger in the S. End near Rocca and Bobbys. I thik that would be the best idea as that area is coming alive with retail and eateries, would make it more of a destination. If they make the other needed chages, would definitely help the brand.

Ralph Lauren probably would have gone for the building had they not spent so much for the current location. Definitely the style of Ralph Lauren... Reminds me of the Mansion, the RL flagship on Madison Ave in NYC.

In all honesty, I believe the best candidate for thespace would have been that destination of a mania brand...LV... flying LV flags outside that building and giving it that beautiful french twist on the inside would have been amazing. That alone would do wonders for that entire area, not just Newbury street...

Last edited:
Nespresso is opening a "boutique" coffee shop on Newbury Street.

There is an ad on craigslist for retail help.

If you're not familiar with the company or product, check out their website. I had never heard of their machines, but apparently they are very popular in Europe. And, the cafes look really cool.

Do you think they'll use their US spokesperson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyeXrdZZ1o

On another note, I visited the Boylston Street Tweeter this afternoon. They have a pretty good selection of HDTVs on hand. No returns, but everything is sold under manufacturer warranty.

I bought a 32-inch Samsung TV for $899, plus tax. The price wasn't a lot less than what I saw on the internet, but I didn't have to pay shipping, so it may have worked out to be cheaper.

Sh-h-h. It's a Christmas present.

But I don't understand what "epicenter" means in this context.

But I don't understand what "epicenter" means in this context.

Ahhh.... ah ha, okay, my apologies Ron. The Prada concept of a retail location showcasing all that the brand has to offer in grand display is basically a flagship store. So, having said that, Prada has been scouting Boston for a location for over a decade and may have finally found their prize... It makes sense that many locations in Copley and on Newbury have been passed up by the fashion house now that it is known that their talks are on the flagship wave length.

Nespresso is opening a "boutique" coffee shop on Newbury Street.

There is an ad on craigslist for retail help.

If you're not familiar with the company or product, check out their website. I had never heard of their machines, but apparently they are very popular in Europe. And, the cafes look really cool.

Do you think they'll use their US spokesperson?

Im pretty sure ive been inside one of their stores in switzerland

Oakley,

The new Gucci boutique will carry the same assortment as the current Copley location. The space may be slightly different in size, however only back of house will feel the sq ft changes. The store itself will be far different, showcasing the new look of Gucci, if you're familiar with the 5th Ave flagship in Manhattan which is unbelievable. The store will feature several rooms dividing the collections.

Initially, Badgley Mischka, Fendi, Judith Ripka, Balenciaga, and a few others were either in talks about the available spaces or trying to secure leases. Some have opted for other available spaces said to be on Boylston and Newbury. Cartier was one who didnt acquire a desired space.

Prada is rumored to have acquired the garage space on the 1st block of Newbury where they will open an epi-ceter around 2010.

Hugo Boss wants to expand and bring in womens and additional mens lines into one large store, but is facing a bit of difficulty with their additional lease, the Orange store on the second level of the mall now.

Louis Boston has been rumored to be in a bit of trouble for a few years now. My view is that the Louis brand is riding on a high horse of the past and never chose to update apperancein regards to merchandising, turn up the creativity to compete with new entries in the city and surrounding area, and create a new attitude more attractive to potential customers. Never a great experience going into that store and the merchandise isnt as great as they think, lol. They are supposedly interested in a hanger in the S. End near Rocca and Bobbys. I thik that would be the best idea as that area is coming alive with retail and eateries, would make it more of a destination. If they make the other needed chages, would definitely help the brand.

Ralph Lauren probably would have gone for the building had they not spent so much for the current location. Definitely the style of Ralph Lauren... Reminds me of the Mansion, the RL flagship on Madison Ave in NYC.

In all honesty, I believe the best candidate for thespace would have been that destination of a mania brand...LV... flying LV flags outside that building and giving it that beautiful french twist on the inside would have been amazing. That alone would do wonders for that entire area, not just Newbury street...

I know LV just spent a lot money expanding it's current Boston location.

I always though one of the problems with Bolyston and Newbury is the lack of enough space for what the luxury brands are after. I don't expect that MO space to sit too long. Seems like Boston is now on the radar for a lot of luxury brands.

I know LV just spent a lot money expanding it's current Boston location.

I always though one of the problems with Bolyston and Newbury is the lack of enough space for what the luxury brands are after. I don't expect that MO space to sit too long. Seems like Boston is now on the radar for a lot of luxury brands.

Funny thing is that it has been for a very long time. As we know with any company, particularly fashion retailers, prime location and space is key as their presence is an advertisement which is taken extremely seriously as it is their lively-hood.

I must say im a bit surprised at the selection of retailers at the hotel; I expected more high-end labels to be street level. The Newbry was supposed to be this great opt for luxury retailers with its location, high ceilings and large spaces and then... Vickie's, Guess, H&M, Sunglass Hut, Borders, and Filenes Basement. Great Job Newbry. I mean I like some but they missed out... Boylston is set to be the new grand boulevard for high end and that was quite the opportunity being across from Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, MaxMara, BCBG, Louis Boston, and the next block up from Chanel, Valentino, Cartier, Zegna, Loro Piana, Burberry, Giorgio Armani, etc... Not to mention 1 block from Hermes, Escada, the FourSeasons and the rest... With the proper marketig plan, you can get the visitors from Ritz, the Seasons and everyone else to make their way to that block on even the Boylston side with the right campaign. Im honestly confused, but hey, we'll see...

Yes sometimes, I would suspect Vinyard viners may ocassionally be spotted frequenting Newbury St and the Copley area to access dining and shopping opportunities not otherwise available in their seaside villages, However, this would not be the preferred habitat of such persons. The Boylston Street is a bit edgy for there tastes with all those Euro looking people traipsing all over the place talking loudly into their cell phones. More importantly the Back Bay is far from conveniently located given the nearest decent yacht club at least 15 miles away in Marblehead.

I take offense to this...and the closest decent yacht club would be the Boston Yacht Haven. And hell, you don't have to be Ted Kennedy to wear Vineyard Vines, they started with ties, and the ties are still the best.

Borders is a more useful store to have on Boylston than any of the suggested replacements that you named. Boston is supposed to be a cultural and intellectual capital, remember? Back Bay used to have scads of bookstores.

Funny thing is that it has been for a very long time. As we know with any company, particularly fashion retailers, prime location and space is key as their presence is an advertisement which is taken extremely seriously as it is their lively-hood.

I must say im a bit surprised at the selection of retailers at the hotel; I expected more high-end labels to be street level. The Newbry was supposed to be this great opt for luxury retailers with its location, high ceilings and large spaces and then... Vickie's, Guess, H&M, Sunglass Hut, Borders, and Filenes Basement. Great Job Newbry. I mean I like some but they missed out... Boylston is set to be the new grand boulevard for high end and that was quite the opportunity being across from Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, MaxMara, BCBG, Louis Boston, and the next block up from Chanel, Valentino, Cartier, Zegna, Loro Piana, Burberry, Giorgio Armani, etc... Not to mention 1 block from Hermes, Escada, the FourSeasons and the rest... With the proper marketig plan, you can get the visitors from Ritz, the Seasons and everyone else to make their way to that block on even the Boylston side with the right campaign. Im honestly confused, but hey, we'll see...

Does Boylston have any retail space for the brands that are looking for space? It does seem like Boston is starting to shed it's "old-money" ways when it comes to the upscale/high-end stuff such as clothes, restaurants, recreation and entertainment, ect.

Borders is a more useful store to have on Boylston than any of the suggested replacements that you named. Boston is supposed to be a cultural and intellectual capital, remember? Back Bay used to have scads of bookstores.

I think Borders does have a store on Bolyston.

Well yes, that's what LowerRoxbury and I both said. I'm quite happy to have it there. I have no use for luxury whatsoever, but intellectual sustenance is always good for a neighborhood.

Back