The New Retail Thread

True, but given that they have two other new stores opening within the next 12 months (Burlington and Chestnut Hill), I'd be shocked if they added another new store. Because they are still newish to this market, they need to guard against over-expanding too quickly and hurting their brand by not giving themselves enough time to build their corporate culture within their stores, especially since they will be filled with mostly new employees with limited experience shopping in a Wegmans.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see them commit to a second city location so quickly, but for me at least, it would be a surprise.

So quickly? It could be 4-5 years before the Filene's development is ready for a supermarket to open. Chestnut Hill and Burlington will open later this year, Fenway likely in 1-2 years and then Downtown Crossing could open a few years thereafter. The timing actually works perfectly. If they like the location enough, they won't pass up the opportunity because they have a couple more locations opening years before a downtown crossing location would open.

So quickly? It could be 4-5 years before the Filene's development is ready for a supermarket to open. Chestnut Hill and Burlington will open later this year, Fenway likely in 1-2 years and then Downtown Crossing could open a few years thereafter. The timing actually works perfectly. If they like the location enough, they won't pass up the opportunity because they have a couple more locations opening years before a downtown crossing location would open.

Not impossible...but my understanding is that the Burnham Building is being planned to host the "flagship" retail on the site, and that would likely be ready in the 2 to 3 year timeframe, which would put it really close (for Wegmans) to the Fenway opening.

Wegmans is notorious for being slow in their expansions/new construction. The fact that two stores are opening up within 6 months of each other in a new market is fairly remarkable. I would be happy to be wrong, but my gut tells me that we won't see them at DTX as part of the Filene's project. At least not out of the gate.

Fenway Civic Association president Bill Richardson said he welcomes Wegmans and doubts it will lead to further congestion. Fenway residents have the lowest rate of car ownership in the city.

Nice to see.

The old Hard Rock Cafe.....note how the old building entrance has been summarily dismissed from its original use.

8602026664_84f27d98c2_b.jpg

Great catch KZ! Too bad about the old art deco entrance (oddly, in a decidedly not art deco building). The old entrance looks small though. Wonder if it was an ADA thing?

Well forum member "Boston needs a shake shack" who hasn't posted in a few years can now rest easy - finally!

Yeah I guess he should have called himself "Boston Metropolitan Statistical Area needs a Shake Shack" but it's doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easy :)

Personally, Shake Shack is going to be somewhat of a fad. It will come in with a lot of buzz and then the hype and hysteria will die down.

I have been several times down in NYC and it's good. But I think Tasty Burger is just as good, if not better for some things.

Personally, Shake Shack is going to be somewhat of a fad. It will come in with a lot of buzz and then the hype and hysteria will die down.

I have been several times down in NYC and it's good. But I think Tasty Burger is just as good, if not better for some things.

It'll have to die down. Other than the novelty of it, I can't see any reason to go there with the way the lines are now. Went there last week, 30 minute wait. Friend went there later, more than an hour wait.

If I want a frozen custard, I'll go to Abbott's, and if I want a good quick burger, there's plenty of options.

The food was good, though.

Shake Shack=Crispy Kreme

There I said it.

= Sonic = In-N-Out Burger

And before everyone jumps on the "You've got to try In-N-Out Burger! Nothing will ever compare ... blah, blah, blah ... Heaven ... blah, blah, blah ... Nirvana ... blah, blah, blah ... Valhalla ... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."
I lived in Southern Cal for 3 years within 1/2 mile of an In-N-Out. I still can't get over people freaking out about it. The burgers are fine. They're Tasty Burger. They're Whattaburger. They're 5 Guys. It's a decent burger and that's it. Drives me insane when people claim it's better than most niche fast food.
Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I yield the floor.

Can I get on your case about 5 Guys instead? They're a step up from all that drive through nonsense.

Really? I find 5 guys overly greasy and don't understand the craze over the cajun seasoning (it's the same crap they have at Bojangles')

The fries at Five Guys are deplorable. Part of the fascination with In N Out is the price. For nearly the same price as a McDonald's value meal, you can get a good quality burger and fries from In N Out. Comparing In N Out to places like Five Guys is not a fair fight largely because In N Out is almost half the price (35-40% less to be accurate). You can't get a burger, fries and a soda from Five Guys for less than $10+

Back