The New Retail Thread

Where is the store going to go? Isn't Landmark Center fully occupied now?

To the best of my knowledge, it is. Perhaps they'll take over some of the parking space there. I could see any one of the existing retailers leaving, as well. Not that any of them are particularly weak in and of themselves, but I figure Wegmans would do much better.

More important than where they'd put Wegmans in that building is, to me, this is an almost certain Death Knell for the Fenway Shaws. Looks like a great opportunity for Shaws to close that store and sell the land to developers.

I believe the Wegmans will not take much existing space. It will go in the back where the parking garage is, a spot already approved for an 8 story addition on top. To the best of my knowledge, none of the current tenants are or will leave because of wegmans.

Someone mentioned in the comment section, in reference to your post Ron, that Blue Cross left?

I was holding out hope for Wegmans in the ground floor of the Burnham building...but this is good news.

There is no reason why another Wegmans can't open elsewhere in the city especially an area as far away from Fenway as Downtown Crossing.

There is no reason why another Wegmans can't open elsewhere in the city especially an area as far away from Fenway as Downtown Crossing.

True, but given that they have two other new stores opening within the next 12 months (Burlington and Chestnut Hill), I'd be shocked if they added another new store. Because they are still newish to this market, they need to guard against over-expanding too quickly and hurting their brand by not giving themselves enough time to build their corporate culture within their stores, especially since they will be filled with mostly new employees with limited experience shopping in a Wegmans.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see them commit to a second city location so quickly, but for me at least, it would be a surprise.

I know nothing about Wegman's but any option to the Fenway Shaws is EXCELLENT news. If it sounds the death knell for that Shaws, even better.

Someone mentioned in the comment section, in reference to your post Ron, that Blue Cross left?

Isn't Blue Cross moving the the Arsenal Complex? Either way, not sure of the importance of an office vacancy in Landmark Center.

I know nothing about Wegman's but any option to the Fenway Shaws is EXCELLENT news. If it sounds the death knell for that Shaws, even better.

I might be a little bias but I think that they are the best full service grocery store (chain) on the east coast.Their customer service is excellent.

I might be a little bias but I think that they are the best full service grocery store (chain) on the east coast.Their customer service is excellent.

I have to agree. Wegman's has prices comparable to run-of-the-mill supermarkets with superior products and shopping experience. They are also noted for being a top-notch employer.

The only possible complaint against them is that they are so popular that they are often a madhouse in the evenings and on weekends. Expect every Wegman's in Greater Boston to be swamped for years to come, no matter how many stores they open.

They also make killer subs that I have missed desperately since moving here from Upstate New York. I have driven out to Northborough twice just for a sub.

In my experience, while the quality of Wegman's products is somewhere between Shaws, Roche Bros., and Whole Foods, their prices are closer to Market Basket or Walmart.

I'm very intrigued to see how Shaws and Roche Bros try to adapt to their entry into the area. Stop and Shop, at least, can leverage their gas stations.

I'm hoping to God that the Regal Fenway is staying put for this. It's really unsettling that they haven't specified where at the Landmark Center this store will be going.

I'm hoping to God that the Regal Fenway is staying put for this. It's really unsettling that they haven't specified where at the Landmark Center this store will be going.

Is Regal Fenway in danger of closing? Has the idea of closing been floated before? I'm just curious about this specific allegation.

Regal isn't going anywhere. They paid handsomely for the AMC location and aren't going to surrender to Loews downtown.

Regal isn't going anywhere. They paid handsomely for the AMC location and aren't going to surrender to Loews downtown.

"Surrender" implies there's a battle raging--but isn't really more like they're simply the last two cinemas standing? Just lumbering happily along, the lucky beneficiaries of attrition everywhere else in the ranks... It seems incredible--and someone please correct me if I'm wrong--but for some time now, Boston has sustained just two cinemas within its 48 square miles, no?

yes, but the division is kind of artificial. There is the kendall theater. But assemble sq. is building a significant one. There is one in dedham, I think, near the south side. Harvard and Cleveland circle were two recent knock outs.

Then there are the smaller playhouses around, Somerville, Coolidge, Brattle.

You are right tho, and I have thought about Boston's lack of movie theaters as somewhat of an oddity, even when you throw in Kendall and soon to be assembly.

yes, but the division is kind of artificial. There is the kendall theater. But assemble sq. is building a significant one. There is one in dedham, I think, near the south side. Harvard and Cleveland circle were two recent knock outs.

Then there are the smaller playhouses around, Somerville, Coolidge, Brattle.

You are right tho, and I have thought about Boston's lack of movie theaters as somewhat of an oddity, even when you throw in Kendall and soon to be assembly.

It really is. Im in NJ now and there are no less than 10 LARGE cinemas within 15 miles of me right now.

Won't there be a new theater on THE STREET in Chestnut Hill (to replace the comically shitty AMC 5)?

yes a new showcase. ^

I didn't realize Samuels had purchased landmark center from the abbey group.

Back